BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello 46ers. I may need some advice with this car. What are some things I should ask this guy and what are some common issues with this model? I would do the research myself but I am pressed for time with some family issues and I want to replace my wrecked A4 daily driver asap. This guy is right down the street so it could potentially be a pain free transaction. Thanks in advance. I love this interior...http://martinsburg.craigslist.org/cto/5721372459.html

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
6,012 Posts
He's only asking $1, just go buy it and worry about what could be wrong later!

It has 3 pedals so transmission shouldn't be a worry if it drives ok now. Other things would be cooling system, steering and rear subframe (search the wiki to verify they apply to that specific model).

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was thinking of offering him 50 cents in hopes that he counters with 75 cents. I never like to pay full price for anything. Thanks for the advice. It has no CEL or warning lights at the moment

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is asking 6000 which I think is a little high for a 2000

·
Keeping it surreal
43,187 Posts
Great-looking car ! (although there was never any such thing as "an M3 Package", it`s "an Individual with mods" type of deal).

I know this must seem tempting as a mofo, but it would do you well to heed the old saying "Beauty`s only skin deep", because it just might apply here. Regardless of how nicely it presents, it`s still a 17 year-old car with a potential sh!tload of (expensive) problems attached to it.

I would submit it for a thorough PPI to someone with an experienced and critical eye for details. Just remember that these cars have a (sometimes) well-deserved reputation as attention whores, and it`s always a good idea to do as much research as possible before signing on the dotted line.

It`s always something of a gamble....this could be "the right one" for you, or it could be an expensive headache....just keep an open mind about it.

Happy Hunting ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great-looking car ! (although there was never any such thing as "an M3 Package", it`s "an Individual with mods" type of deal).

I know this must seem tempting as a mofo, but it would do you well to heed the old saying "Beauty`s only skin deep", because it just might apply here. Regardless of how nicely it presents, it`s still a 17 year-old car with a potential sh!tload of (expensive) problems attached to it.

I would submit it for a thorough PPI to someone with an experienced and critical eye for details. Just remember that these cars have a (sometimes) well-deserved reputation as attention whores, and it`s always a good idea to do as much research as possible before signing on the dotted line.

It`s always something of a gamble....this could be "the right one" for you, or it could be an expensive headache....just keep an open mind about it.

Happy Hunting ! :thumbup:
Thank your Sir. Yeah I am just looking for something to drive 4 days a week, about 40 miles per day

·
Keeping it surreal
43,187 Posts
Thank your Sir. Yeah I am just looking for something to drive 4 days a week, about 40 miles per day
Well, there`s no substitute for a good PPI. if you have someone local to you, that knows BMWs intimately, and you trust him, have him check it over. If he gives it a clean bill of health, you`ll probably be reasonably OK, at least for a while.

Good luck !

·
6,012 Posts
Even with the "individual" and 3 pedals I wouldn't be looking at it at $6000, but local prices do vary across the country. At that mileage it could be coming on some big maintenance items (suspension), so first question for him would be for a history/receipts. Around here at $6K everything should have been replaced in the last year.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I honestly never heard of the Individual Package but I'm starting to doubt this a true Individual. The interior on most that I saw online looked much differnt. Idk. Anyway, if car pans out I don't think I would pay more than 4000

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Beautiful color and appears to be well cared for but there is nothing rare about the 5-Speed. A listed price would sure be nice but if he's thinking somewhere up to $6000, he's not out of line. If he has owned it for many years and has records, sure, I'd pay six large for it.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,187 Posts
I`ve been around BMWs for a long time, and I`ve never seen a 3-series Individual....that is normally reserved for 5 and 7-series cars.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
The fact there is a sticker for individual paint means it was individual paint color. Few dealers will do it, this was obviously a special order car - I'm thinking by someone who had something to do with Barney the Dinosaur given the color and time when the car would have been ordered...

That being said, this type of extra cost item should only be only expensive to the original buyer, after that it can actually hurt resale valuie cuz everyone else would have to like it too. In this case, it;s love or hate, I'm in the latter camp, probably because of the damn Barney the dinosaur doll my nephew used to have. I may or may not ahve had something to do with its demise...

It does look clean and the 5 speed makes it desirable.. Decide what it's worth to you, get a PPI, study up on common issues, and see what happens.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The fact there is a sticker for individual paint means it was individual paint color. Few dealers will do it, this was obviously a special order car - I'm thinking by someone who had something to do with Barney the Dinosaur given the color and time when the car would have been ordered...

That being said, this type of extra cost item should only be only expensive to the original buyer, after that it can actually hurt resale valuie cuz everyone else would have to like it too. In this case, it;s love or hate, I'm in the latter camp, probably because of the damn Barney the dinosaur doll my nephew used to have. I may or may not ahve had something to do with its demise...

It does look clean and the 5 speed makes it desirable.. Decide what it's worth to you, get a PPI, study up on common issues, and see what happens.
Ha. Now I can't stop getting Barney out of my head when I look at the car. I haven't seen it in person yet. But I keep hearing that damn song when I look at the car. Hopefully that will pass:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I am going to pass on this one. The guy has no receipts of any prior repairs from any of the previous owners. He bought the car less than 2 months ago. All signs lean towards running far away from this one

·
6,012 Posts
Sounds like a flipper...RUN, RUN, RUN!!!

At least this gives you more time to study the Wiki if you're set on getting an E46.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This guy just added some more pics on his listing. Does anyone know what kind of suspension this guy has on this car. He has no idea what they are?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts