BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to get an alignment and the issue is the bushing for the lower control arm is shot. There is no movement in the adjustment. I have a 1998 BMW 528i WITH a M5 LSD.

So my question is, what is the best upgrade? I few options I thought out:

1. I could get M5 lower control arms and push in bushings (poly or stock).
2. I could get replacement 528i control arms and push in bushings (poly or stock).
3. I can get brand new ones from dorman on amazon. ($100 each)
4. I could push them off and in on the car (seems risky unless it is really easy).

What do you think is the best option?

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I'm bout at the same point and looking at putting new poly bushings in the original control arms. Buying new control arms is the easiest option IMO.

Jim

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm bout at the same point and looking at putting new poly bushings in the original control arms. Buying new control arms is the easiest option IMO.

Jim
So research shows I cannot just use M5 swing arms. I would need the entire subframe. I am almost 99.9% sure I have the 528i subframe because I have the 528i rear brakes.

At this point I am tempted to get a used swing arm and push in polybushings. (I have been told they are to be called swing arms). I am not really seeing many places with them and the few threads I found showed some company in Europe but the guy was not comfortable with using them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There are some threads on here that discuss replacing the bushings, and if it's even possible. Apparently BWM doesn't make them, you replace the whole arm with bushings already in place, and after market ones don't exist or if they do, they are not BMW specific. I redid everything in my rear suspension. Went with MOOG swing arms. They were $134 each, and even thought they are made in China, I was impressed with the quality and they fit fine. My advice to you is to buy all new bolts for the swing arm (actually, I bought new nuts and bolts for everything). My eccentric bolts would turn, but I was unable to get them out, so I just cut them. On the reinstall every bolt was put in with antiseize.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts