BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Need some insight, Water pump/oil level

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  3rd_Alley 
#1 ·
Ok guys so I've been working on the turbo replacement and finally am coming to a close... And I've got a couple issues that have me baffled and I need some wisdom!!!

First, the water pump is running continuously and will not cut off until I disconnect the battery.

I also cannot get an oil level reading... Screen shot to follow
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Car runs perfectly at this point though....so there's that...

I had to remove the water pump during the turbo install, it is less than 20k old and is an all metal Piersburg from FCP... Which coincidentally worked perfectly before performing this work, as did the oil Level sensor. There has to be a common fault here... I just don't know where to start...

I had read that if the coolant temp sensor (Front of motor fails, the fan kicks on in high) And can confirm that when unplugging this sensor the fan kicks on... Is there a similar sensor that would cause the water pump to fully engage and not stop?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I was looking forward to wrapping this job up today...

Thx, Dekero

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you come across two connectors that could be interchanged? Did a wiring harness get crushed or pulled hard when lifting the engine for clearance? Any connectors that felt funny trying to reconnect?

It might help to connect with ISTA and see what's unhappy.

#3 ·
Pretty sure I damaged the water pump during removal I dropped it about a foot and a half. I've checked all the wiring and it looks intact...

Did some research for other people dealing with this same issue and found they ended up replacing the pump.... Thank God for FCP Euro!!

Exhuast note is def. More aggressive with the downpipe and the turbo pulls well.... So there's that.... This other mess will get sorted soon enough.

#6 ·
Ok so a little more research has gotten me to this conclusion... Anyone concur or have anything to add?

The BSD communication line consists of the IBS sensor, oil level sensor, alternator and the WATER PUMP and it's been documented that when the water pump acts up it messes with communication of all the above... And I have an IBS communication error, as well as an oil level sensor error...

Anyone have any input?

#8 · (Edited)
11 51 000 Removing and installing/renewing coolant pump

Attention!
Risk of damage:
Non-visible damage to the coolant pump.
Forcibly removing, installing or dropping the coolant pump down will damage it.
Remove and install the coolant pump without damaging it and without applying external force.
Avoid impacts/knocks to the coolant pump (e.g.. by tools, falling down, hard contact with base).
Necessarily renew the coolant pump after it falls or receives hard blows.

The damage is to the ECP plain journal bearings made of Graphitar graphite filled epoxy, soft and fragile, corrodes solid in a minute.

All of the BSD devices (IBS, alternator, OLCS, ECP, electric fan) are on individual lines to DME A6000.

• Love
Reactions: Dekero
#9 ·
Pulled the old water pump today as the replacement is due any minute from UPS... And it appears I had some serious corrosion on the and in the plug for the old unit... Cleaned it out with a copper brush and brake cleaner... Not certain it was causing my issue... But it couldn't of helped... Anyway at this point I'm still putting the new unit in!!

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Rim Paint

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.