BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear of my car seems to be making a clunking type of noise when going over bumps and uneven road. I have the UUC sways. bilstien shocks, and eibach springs. Is there any chance it may be my shocks, or is it pretty much the sways that need to be greased?
My car has 9k miles...I just had the sways installed about 300 miles ago and the rest of the suspension about a 1000.

My sways were origianlly put on with some sorta sticky grease, but i took it in and they re-greased it with some better grease.

Could it also be my tire pressure is too high in the rear compared to the front? 40/34.
The sound was also horrible and at it's worst when I had my tire pressure to 47, when I was bringing it home to deflate them./

Should I not not take it to the track this weekend, would be ok if i did?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I agree check the mounting points...especially the swaybars. BMW has a bad knack for them popping out of the mounts. In fact my E36 M3 needs to go to the shop to get the rear sway bar mounts reinforced to avoid damaging the subframe.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
coldintake said:
Would it be a problem if I don't get them tightened or fixed and take it to the track?
YES. Plus you are responsible to bring a car that is good operating condition to the track. If there is a problem with the suspension or a potential problem it could cause an incident. Causing damage to 1) the car, 2) you, 3) your instructor, 4) another car, 5) another person. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
The rear swaybar links are adjustable. Mine were clunking too (the sways were touching the exhaust pipe), until I adjusted the length of the links. Check that out.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Raffi said:
The rear swaybar links are adjustable. Mine were clunking too (the sways were touching the exhaust pipe), until I adjusted the length of the links. Check that out.
Exactly, although my sways are well above the exhaust pipe. I just got home from the shop and they say that the link needs to be replaced. The ball & socket seems to have too much play and makes a tiny clunking sound that is amplified within the cabbin. I need to call UUC up and see what they can do. They assured me that it is not a saftey concern, only an anoying sound.

thanks for the help guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts