BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,780 Posts
If you're on a tight budget, let me make two recommendations (only because I have first hand experience with them): General GMAX AS-03 and Yokohama Avid ENVigors.

I'm running General GMAX AS-03 at the moment. They grip quite nicely in the dry and wet (they channel water like crazy), but they're no Michelin Pilot Super Sport. For the money I paid for them, I can't complain one bit. Prior to these, I was running on Yokohama Avid ENVigors. They, too, also gripped nicely and once saved my ass in an emergency maneuver.

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
"The Best" tire depends on your needs....i.e., climate, your personal driving style, etc.

Start reading tire reviews....

· Registered
1,378 Posts
Considering your location (warm weather), I'd second the Goodyear F1 Assymetric. I've gone through several different summer tires and never been really happy until these. These are summer tires though so if your considering cold weather climates, you'll need a set of winter tires.

However, I haven't tried Michelin Pilots yet.

· Registered
3,535 Posts
The same brand and type you have on your front. You should not (in general) mix them unless you like quirky handling.
Highly overrated advice.
Don't mix tires on the same axle, but front to rear is fine as long as you have the type of tire.
I have mixed and can not detect the difference.

All bets on this advice is off if you go racing.

I've run Pilot Sports, PS2's, and Michelin Pilot Super Sports. All fine tires with the latter being the best by far.

And rears don't make near as much difference as fronts.
Last time I needed rears, I went to tirerack, selected my size and sorted by price low to high. Took the cheapest Goodyear on closeout for $88 each (245-40 17's) and they are fabulous tires.
There are closeouts there right now.

· Is it Trackday yet?
9,181 Posts
I totally disagree with the generalized advice that mixing is OK, and especially with the advice that rear tires don't matter as much as fronts. Much to the contrary, if you have grippy tires up front and cheap all-season high mileage tires in the rear, your chances of inducing unwanted oversteer (aka rear skid) in certain situations (especially wet) is very high.

Mixing Tires Article
Where to install new pairs of tires and why article

YSMV

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
I totally disagree with the generalized advice that mixing is OK, and especially with the advice that rear tires don't matter as much as fronts. Much to the contrary, if you have grippy tires up front and cheap all-season high mileage tires in the rear, your chances of inducing unwanted oversteer (aka rear skid) in certain situations (especially wet) is very high.

Mixing Tires Article
Where to install new pairs of tires and why article

YSMV
^^^^^^^^Abso-Focking-Lutely.....on *dry pavement*, you can get away with running just about anything (different) on front & rear axles, but when the pavement is wet, that changes the whole game, and you`re literally taking your life in your hands.
Just do a little research, and purchase 4 tires (the same :) which meet your needs & budget....there`s plenty of `em out there.

· Registered
3,535 Posts
If you have to throw in 'grippy', 'cheap' and 'different category' to pervert the original premise, I think you know you have a weak case.
And I'll take a page from your tirerack reference. Look at their second option which represents mixing as acceptable. Far from your 'totally disagree'.
Some of this is a matter of opinion which is highly dependent upon the aggression level of the driver. Most will never approach the 9/10's level in the rain.

· The Boss of Nobody
3,737 Posts
I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Super Sports for summers and I couldn't be happier with their performance, price however is ouch(unless you have a trophy wife that gets them free like SOME members:p).

My runner up choice before I bought the Michelins were the Continental ExtremeContact DW's for summers.

· Is it Trackday yet?
9,181 Posts
I love my V12's.

To my point... I'm running two different tires on my car right now. PS2 up front, V12 in the rear. They are both "Max Performance Summer" per TireRack's rating. It hasn't rained in months and both have similar treadwear and depth. I can tell you my car feels very different compared to having four of the same tires on it.

The car is fine on the freeway and slow city driving, it's canyon carving (which is my daily commute) where it gets a little tricky. I don't recommend it.

· Registered
5,537 Posts
I know everyones dead set on a certain list of tires but Id highly recommend the yokohama as430's Ive been running for 7 years.

They finally reached the dry rotted point of not being safe anymore yesterday with over 50,000 miles on them and still look like new aka full tread. If it wasnt for the cracks that have formed between the treads from dry rotting Id of kept going with them.

Theres one problem with the as430's is they are discontinued so I ordered Yokohama AVID ENVigor yesterday and will have them on the car tomorrow. From researching they are the replacement for the as430's.

The rating shows excellent dry, rain and good snow and ice ratings too. I'll post impressions once on the car but if they work out as well as the as430's did it will be a very good tire.

Im no a stranger to $500 each goodyear performance tires like I ran on my vette but for a performance sedan where your wanting to get some miles out of the tires too these yokohama's are hard to beat. Grips excellent and when you finally get the yoko's to let go its a nice controlled drift not some instant unglued uncontrollable deal. Again good tire but to each their own.

· Registered
5,537 Posts
Something else on the mixing brands of tires. NEVER do that. They may look the same size as what you had already have but they wont be. Every tire manufactures idea of a certain tire size will vary from one to the other.

Heck Ive seen variance within the same manufacturer from model to model. Id go with the exact same tire from the same manufacturer with whatever you decide on like others have mentioned.

The size difference is very bad on the rear of course but its bad even on the front of our cars.

If the 2 back tires are identical and the front tires are different from the back but identical to each other (both front tires are identical) then your running a staggered setup. This isnt that bad on a 2 wheel drive car but it will cause a change in driving characteristics. Whether its a good thing or not depends on what you wanted or expect.

If either the front or back tires are not identical to each other then thats unsafe. This can cause some really weird results. A test that was setup at an autocross event I was at really showed how wild this was. They mixed and matched all 4 tires on an old toyota celica. Im not sure what brought the deal on (well besides he had 2 different set of track tires and the street tires he drove in on) but the effects of playing around with the tire sizes were quite dramatic as soon as you entered the first curve. That car got stupid fast. Some of the better drivers actually ended up out in the grass trying to control that thing.

So be leery of not matching up your tires. It may save your life.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.