BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get some work done on the 99 M Rdstr that requires it being driven to/from the site with the right seat removed.

Does anyone know how to "jump out" the electrical plug for the right seat so that the airbag light won't be triggered (and then have to be reset by the dealer)?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
251 Posts
This is what I'd do:

Unplug the airbag at seat. Use Volt-Ohm meter, measure the resistance of the airbag.
Go to RadioShack and buy resistors to make up the same resistance. Put that resistor pack in place of the airbag.

That should work.

Vic

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pmb1010 said:
This is what I'd do:

Unplug the airbag at seat. Use Volt-Ohm meter, measure the resistance of the airbag.
Go to RadioShack and buy resistors to make up the same resistance. Put that resistor pack in place of the airbag.

That should work.

Vic
Thanks!
Yes, that was my "if all else fails" plan.
Shawn Fogg seemed to think that someone (with an M3 that had Recaros installed) had already posted the fix.
The values for the resistor and pair of diodes is already known...
Just not to me:confused:

Looking at the ETM, the sensor in the seat should just be a switch that says if someone is sitting there.
The Pyrotechnical Seatbelr Tensioner is still in question though...

Again, thanks for the reply:thumbup:

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
pmb1010 said:
This is what I'd do:

That should work.

Vic
Be careful with this. In reading about airbag removal in an article in C/D some time ago, I recall seeing an admonition that when trying to come up with a resistor to replace an airbag, it was tempting to perform exactly this test. The author cautioned that the micro-voltage used by the multimeter to measure resistance may be enough to set the bag off.

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JST said:
Be careful with this. In reading about airbag removal in an article in C/D some time ago, I recall seeing an admonition that when trying to come up with a resistor to replace an airbag, it was tempting to perform exactly this test. The author cautioned that the micro-voltage used by the multimeter to measure resistance may be enough to set the bag off.
:yikes:
Thanks for the heads up!
According to the ETM, the circuits in question should only be hot in the accy, run & start key position.

In this case, it will be the "seat half" of the connector plug I will be reading with the meter, so I "shouldn't" be putting a potential into the SRS Control Module.

But, keeping your words in mind, perhaps I should start the car afterwards while laying on the floor (well clear of the airbag's path of deployment):eek: :eek:

Again, thank you for the words of caution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts