BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a z3 i think its a 2000-2001, not 100%. He is trying to figure out how to remove the center of the dash/console to replace a knob, not sure which knob. The dealership wants to charge him crazy money to do it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
It's a PITA, which is why the dealer wants a lot to do it. I should know, I've had mine out more times than I'd care to admit.

However, you don't need the console out to replace bulbs. Which bulbs are we talking about? HVAC controls?

·
Warning - Thin Air
1,876 Posts
Here are some insturctions...

N8s93turbo said:
My friend has a z3 i think its a 2000-2001, not 100%. He is trying to figure out how to remove the center of the dash/console to replace a knob, not sure which knob. The dealership wants to charge him crazy money to do it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? thanks!!!
Try the "Esmerelda's Fixit Page - http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/essentials/fixit/

It give the basics of console removal, but as DMW said, you may not need to remove it. You should be able to replace knobs (and bulbs) without taking the console out.

·
358 Posts
If you email me I can send you a detailed document. [email protected]

Depending on what he's trying to replace, it may be possible to get to it without removing the console, and only having to remove the radio and possibly push back the heater controls. And, for many of the other switches and devices that you can't reach from there, it may be possible (likely actually) that he can get to them with only a "partial" console removal.

Not a fun job, but is doable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.