BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a 2004 645. The door sill lighting on the drivers side is barely perceptible. I have to replace it for the third time. So I've had my car for about 8 years, so I guess the sill last for about 2 2/3 years. Is that the norm?

The passenger side is still going strong since the day I bought it. Can you order one side? Or must you order them in pairs (Or, can you order one and just rotate them? Hmmm....)

Why should the sill burn out at all? It's not doing anything but turning on and off. It seems to me that it should last as long as my cabin lights, and they haven't had to be replaced. I'm wondering if there is an electrical problem with my car that causes the sills to burn out prematurely?

Is it possible that the factory part just isn't all that good? Is there better, long lasting 3rd party sills? Maybe ones that look cooler and 'swirls back and forth' like the leds on KITT Trans Am from the 80's show? :)

thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had the same issue on both sides.
I opened them up and used the LED red strip they sell at auto parts stores
I tapped into the pos and neg wiring that was originally used. looks good
I am on the road in Detroit MI for work and will post a picture when I get back home :bigpimp:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the same issue on both sides.
I opened them up and used the LED red strip they sell at auto parts stores
I tapped into the pos and neg wiring that was originally used. looks good
I am on the road in Detroit MI for work and will post a picture when I get back home :bigpimp:
Cool. I can't wait to see it. I'm wondering how long should the door sills last before they need replacements? And if they should last as long as the car, I'm wondering if I have an electrical issue of some sort?

thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.