Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Joel
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team,

Looks like I need to get to work on my Vanos seals with noisy rattling on morning starts.

I did some research on the forum and the two best links I could find are as below

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5359040&postcount=11

AND

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379225

While I will get to the Vanos seals, What are the other parts I need to also look at replacing while I am at it, thereby reduce maintenance for the immediate future. Which Sensors/ Hoses/ pulleys/ belts/ Timing Chain accessories/ Guides etc should I look at replacing ?

Interestingly, my car has only done 75k miles. So I am assuming that Vanos seals fail with age and not really with mileage. Is this inference correct? I have only used Mobil1 in my car ever and have never delayed any service.

Recently replaced all hoses and cooling system to new despite being in proper working condition. I thought the Vanos issue would hit to me in another 70k miles only, but alas, thats not the case.

Please let me know

1. What are all the other conjunction jobs I should do while I am at the Vanos seal replacement
2. What are all the parts I ought to replace along with- not associated with Vanos, but easier to do now

Thank you in advance for your assistance in the matter,

·
Registered
182 Posts
just a note. Dont assume that replacing the vanos seals (and chain/chain guides, chain tensioner, for that matter) will resolve a brief (1/2 second or so) startup rattle. Many (including myself) have had the full timing chain guide job and vanos seals job done or done them ourselves, and still had that brief startup rattle. (my guides failed at 107k miles).

My brother has a 2001 740 with about 180k miles. Has had that brief startup rattle for at least 3-4 years and at least since the 70k or so mark. He's still on original guides/chains/vanos seals. Only recently replaced his timing chain tensioner this summer. (Didnt help reduce the rattle).

·
Joel
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Model year 2001 530i M54 engine

Need to know what else I should do along with the vanos seal and bearing change. Timing chain related stuff? What all should I look at replacing? Do I replace the guides and tensioner too?

What are the pulleys and belt tensioner so I should replace on the outside of the engine? Any sensors?

·
Joel
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did the reading at Beisan systems before I posted here. Will change the seals and bearing too. Just want to do all the other jobs that I can while am at it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Check your fan clutch

Model year 2001 530i M54 engine

Need to know what else I should do along with the vanos seal and bearing change. Timing chain related stuff? What all should I look at replacing? Do I replace the guides and tensioner too?

What are the pulleys and belt tensioner so I should replace on the outside of the engine? Any sensors?

Check your fan clutch by trying to spin the fan by hand with the engine off. If it spins easy, you might want to replace (You are removing the fan and shroud to do the work anyway).

Have you ever had a cooling system overhaul? How many miles on the car? Being proactive with the water pump and upper and lower rad hose (thermostat maybe?) might be a good idea here.

If you're doing VANOS, then valve cover gasket.

Coils and plugs are coming out - so again ?How many miles? They may be due for replacing - maybe the coil boots?

It's hard to say since we don't know the history of your car, how you drive it, and how good the maintenance has been. Only you can answer that.

Since you have to take out the air filter and MAF to do this (if you want to be able to access the TDC lock pin location by the starter from the top), Maybe you could check the throttle body and ICV to see if they need cleaning.

How about vacuum hoses? Have they ever been done? Might as well lift the intake manifold and check those.

You see? The list is endless. Only you know what has to be done.

UPDATE: I just saw 75K miles. valve cover gasket if it hasn't been done. Take the belts off of the front and spin the various wheels and pulleys - if no noise then leave alone. Inspect belts for tiny cracks and tears - replace if there are any.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts