BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 530i bmw for 7000 cash from a private seller , And i practically got screwed over . Soon after i bought it started overheating . I ended up paying 1500 for water pump and hose repair . i have the receipt. Soon after i had that fixed the car throws a transmission fault . And the car was reduced to only 1-3 shift , neutral , And reverse .i turned the car off and it dissapered then i could drive it normally again. It seem to mess up when i go to drive , to neutral , then reverse .I can still drive it i just don't want to risk it popping up the message while I'm driving . It didn't the time i was driving just when i was switching gears to park. And i downshift to 1gear before putting into neutral , then reverse. I just turned 18 a couple months ago and i was saving for well over a year and half . Thinking i was getting a great vehicle i know now it is too much for me . Im just trying to get as much money out of it as possible ,so far the Total is about 8500 dollars . i know i will not be able to get what i paid , but i need a fair amount back . The car still drives , and is very nice . Parking sensors , navigation , 19" black bmw wheels , tinted windows .Grey exterior, Interior is black & in in great condition . Spare tire good , Hid Headlights , Ac works perfect , Sunroof works perfect . Everything is great i just can't afford to keep putming money into that i don't have . And i need a vehicle for work and to get around. I know i put myself i the situation , i shouldn't have trusted the guy . I test drove it and the car drove fine . thats one reason i bought so quick it seemed like new . Please anyone help me with selling the car , this is very frustrating for me . 8500 is a lot to me I'm only 18 , i can't afford to just waste that money.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Why not take it to an indy and get a quote for the transmission repair? To be honest, you should disclose that issue when you go to sell the car so you don't screw the next guy. I feel your pain though, we've all been there.

-Jeffinslaw

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you should of took a ODB reader with you and hooked it up to the car before buying... sorry for the loss though, if u decide to part out the car, ill buy the steering wheel.
I wish I would've took more precaution , I've defentally learned my lesson . I want to sell the car , if I can I know it will be hard but at least I'm being honest on the condition . Unlike the last guy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have enough money or I would , I'm only 18 . It was literally like all my savings . Then the rest went towards the water pump repair . I shouldnt of even bought the car thank you for the input tho

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,552 Posts
Your car may just need a transmission fluid change and new transmission oil filter. It may be worth trying that first before you sell it. Then, buy a Toyota. It won't be as much fun to drive, but it will be much more maintenance free and cost less when it needs something.

·
Registered
720 Posts
You have a smg tranny. Unfortunately you bought the wrong car. Your best bet would be to sell now, the smg is complicated. Best to cut your losses, take it as a learning experience to do more thorough research on a car and move on. Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have a smg tranny. Unfortunately you bought the wrong car. Your best bet would be to sell now, the smg is complicated. Best to cut your losses, take it as a learning experience to do more thorough research on a car and move on. Good luck
Im trying to sell it , and im being honest on whats wrong with it . Just hard to know where to take it Or who to talk to about selling it .

·
Registered
337 Posts
If you spend less than 300 you can do your tranny pan and filter and change your oil, you might get a big surprise and will have your car running like a champ. Wouldn't you be highly upset if someone invests another 300 and get it working 100%

·
Registered
720 Posts
I forgot to give you the good old advice of "Do a search," you might be experiencing an issue with a common fix but I don't think many people have SMG's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you spend less than 300 you can do your tranny pan and filter and change your oil, you might get a big surprise and will have your car running like a champ. Wouldn't you be highly upset if someone invests another 300 and get it working 100%
Thank you for the advice , I'll look into that . I just hope is isn't anything expensive . I have a BMW shop I'm gonna take it too . It'll still drive I just hope it doesn't do the code while I'm driving it

·
USAF Pararescue Veteran
2,199 Posts
^^^^What he said!!! If the SMG pump has failed it will be VERY expensive. Though maybe not as expensive as a new SMG clutch (roughly $5000). The 530 is normally a really good car, especially the pre-LCI like yours with the M54 engine. However, the SMG is what kills it in this case. If you had the regular auto trans then a fluid change and filter would help, but not with the SMG.

Maybe Carmax will give you a decent price.
Carmax actually drives the cars before you get an offer.

·
Registered
300 Posts
What is a SMG Transmission?
I have not heard that before.

I Googled SMG Transmission and found this:

1997 BMW E36 M3[2] (SMG)
BMW E46 M3 (SMG II)
BMW E60 M5 (SMG III)
BMW E63/64 M6 (SMG III)
BMW E85 Z4 (Optional SMG)

So should a 2006 530i have a SMG Transmission?
I own a 2006 530i and I do not have a SMG Transmission.

Maybe Sebperez1438 should do a VIN search and see if it states that he has a SMG Tranny.

Confused,

Bud B

·
Registered
300 Posts
Got It...

I sure hope that the previous owner didn't dump it on this kid because it needed the SMG Clutch...
Though maybe not as expensive as a new SMG clutch (roughly $5000)
Bud B

·
Registered
1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.5
888 Posts
not an m54, 2006 get the new engines. thats a n52. and probably an smg you can tell that car is pretty will optioned with the ash dark wood and he even has smg in his garage tag. shame, thats a nice naturally aspirated, (relatively) powerful, well optioned e60 there. Hurts to see it was never taken care of..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
not an m54, 2006 get the new engines. thats a n52. and probably an smg you can tell that car is pretty will optioned with the ash dark wood and he even has smg in his garage tag. shame, thats a nice naturally aspirated, (relatively) powerful, well optioned e60 there. Hurts to see it was never taken care of..
This car had previous service from the first owner . The second owner (the guy i bought it off of) did'nt take care of it at all . Just cosmetically , as soon as i got it i changed spark plugs , engine oil , and thermostat all myself . I was planning on getting a vehicel to last a while , i go through college and just growing up with a dependable car would've helped but now i'm in a hole . Thanks for the advice everyone , just turned 18 last month , should've waited to buy a car instead of wasting about all my saving .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts