BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first time I will be washing my car. Bought it in July 09'. Assuming the wax is still good, I just want to wash my car this time. The next time around I will wax it.

Most of the car surfaces are good, but a couple of trips on I-5 to LA has left some water spots and bird poop. Could someone describe the process (Car wash type/brand and any detailing spray). Also what kinda towels/mitt's/cloths to use to wash/dry the car. Also, I need to take care of the brake dust on my wheels which has a lot of dust accumulation offlate. I have a garage with a water hose, so ONR

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Microfiber towels are your friend :thumbup:

For the brake dust, try waxing the rims, it'll make it easier to clean the next time :)

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Hmmm you bought it 3-mths ago and giving it the first wash? :thumbdwn:

It's too late for you already. You might as well just not wash it and you can forget about any possible re-sale value now.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Hmmm you bought it 3-mths ago and giving it the first wash? :thumbdwn: :whip:

It's too late for you already. You might as well just not wash it and you can forget about any possible re-sale value now.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Hmmm you bought it 3-mths ago and giving it the first wash? :thumbdwn: :whip:

Calif65... you beat me to it! Let me see, I took delivery on mine on August 15 -- its now 2 days shy of 11 weeks old and it has been washed, hmmmmm.......something like 11 times and had TWO applications of paint sealant.

OP - I think you need to understand the bar on cleanliness is set VERY high around here. :tsk::nono:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
yes, we try to keep our cars clean around here, but . . .
- check out the detailing forum
- bird poop is your enemy!! even if you don't wash regularly, at least get the bird poop off.
- personally, I like griot's. they have everything, from car wash to polish/sealants/waxes to orbital buffers, etc.
- +1 on the microfiber towels.
- if you're really busy, find a detail place that will do a wash/wax/polish -- lot easier to keep it clean once it's been waxed/polished.

also, any stubborn dirt or debris, try a clay bar -- it's a lot easier than it sounds (just wet the area, warm up the clay bar in your hand, then rub back and forth) -- works great!

hope this helps, kash

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Kash is correct!

The detailing forum has a ton of information...

Also Autogeek.com is a great resource for supplies, plus their sales staff is very friendly and very responsive via email or their online chat feature.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
OP - I think you need to understand the bar on cleanliness is set VERY high around here. :tsk::nono:
I have to admit that I've not seen any post similar to the OPs in my 4+ yrs on bimmerfest. It's usually "am I washing the car too much?".

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
I have to admit that I've not seen any post similar to the OPs in my 4+ yrs on bimmerfest. It's usually "am I washing the car too much?".
:D+1
I have no doubt the American Psychiatric Association regularly lurks here and gathers statistics on us as a way of getting free research subjects for OCD.

·
Registered
284 Posts
yes, we try to keep our cars clean around here, but . . .
- check out the detailing forum
- bird poop is your enemy!! even if you don't wash regularly, at least get the bird poop off.
- personally, I like griot's. they have everything, from car wash to polish/sealants/waxes to orbital buffers, etc.
- +1 on the microfiber towels.
- if you're really busy, find a detail place that will do a wash/wax/polish -- lot easier to keep it clean once it's been waxed/polished.

also, any stubborn dirt or debris, try a clay bar -- it's a lot easier than it sounds (just wet the area, warm up the clay bar in your hand, then rub back and forth) -- works great!

hope this helps, kash
Yup....bird poop. Its the uric acid, of course. Powerful. Hey, I havnt washed mine once yet. Rain is usually my friend. Waaaaaay purer than tap water. Dealer did it twice. Why rub off the paint, eh? LOL

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Yup....bird poop. Its the uric acid, of course. Powerful. Hey, I havnt washed mine once yet. Rain is usually my friend. Waaaaaay purer than tap water. Dealer did it twice. Why rub off the paint, eh? LOL
Yeah, but rain water won't touch the etching from birdpoop no matter how "pure' it is. Isopropyl alcohol on the other hand works wonders for removing etching marks.. just have to be a bit patient and let it soak a bit.

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
Yeah, but rain water won't touch the etching from birdpoop no matter how "pure' it is. Isopropyl alcohol on the other hand works wonders for removing etching marks.. just have to be a bit patient and let it soak a bit.
I don't usually have Isopropol Alchohol on hand but I usually have a fairly large supply of Tequila. Will that work as a subsitute?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would think after 3 -4 months of not being washed your car would have some serious paint defects (at least serious for us OCD types). You may need to take it to a detailer for a professional look.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
I don't usually have Isopropol Alchohol on hand but I usually have a fairly large supply of Tequila. Will that work as a subsitute?
;) Not so sure about the Tequila, but really cheap Vodka is an amazingly incredible solvent for all sorts of stuff.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I keep alcohol wipes in my trunk. They're available at most convenience stores (walgreens, cvs etc.) and pharmacies.

I use them on bird poop and for little smudges and markings I find in the cabin. Just don't use it on the leather, because it will dry the leather out and discolor it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Microfiber towels are your friend :thumbup:

For the brake dust, try waxing the rims, it'll make it easier to clean the next time :)
Great tip - brake dust will cause some early corrosion on your wheels & hubs if you don't deal with it. Microfibre cloths are cheap as chips in our supermarkets - get a pile of them.

·
Corner Carving Addict
3,276 Posts

Watch that video and you'll do fine.

FYI, I use Zaino products. Very fine products, worth every penny. - Zainostore.com

I also use Autogeek.net to buy all my tools for washing my car.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just drive it to the local car wash place and, for $10, I let 'em do their job. No big deal.

You should know that not everybody on these boards is OCD about car cleanliness. Right now, my alpine white '08 328i coupe is quite probably the dirtiest car in north Texas. The problem is that whenever the weather is remotely decent I commute to work by motorcycle, so unless I'm driving my wife somewhere or I have to wear a suit, my car only gets driven in rain and muck. I've had the car for 16 months and have washed it three or four times. As long as it gets a good wax job every year or so I don't worry about it. As my father used to say, "I buy a car to serve me, not so I can serve it." :D

That said, the warnings about bird droppings are real. Its very acidic and will eat through wax and paint. I work in an area where a ton of grackles hang out, and they crap everywhere. I just keep a little spray bottle with water in the trunk and, when I see my car has bird crap on it I do a little spray and wipe.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm shocked and appalled. You may as well burn it now or better yet, burn it yesterday. Seriously I'd give it a dawn (to strip the wax) wash followed by various degrees of random orbital polishing to correct as much of the damage as you can followed by a nice polymer sealant followed a week later by a gentle wash and high quality wax. Or you could just run it down to the nearest carwash and have them drag it though as it sounds like you're not as concerned about these things as many folks here are.

L

1 - 20 of 37 Posts