BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I***8217;m active military and I just received orders to Hawaii. I have a Jeep Wrangler along with my 750Li. My wife and I (she***8217;s from Hawaii) have come to the conclusion that the Jeep will be the much more practical vehicle out there. For that reason, we are putting the BMW up for sale. I***8217;m posting this here because I***8217;m finding that selling a high-end car like this (private party) is probably going to be very difficult.

Only issue with this car, and I posted a thread on here about it (complete with pictures), is that I hit a deer on my way to work back in March. The repairs were done by a local highly rated ***8220;indy***8221; shop and I was completely satisfied with their work. I think the total amount of repairs was $10k. The hood, driver side fender, driver side headlight assembly, grill, and lower front face were all replaced. This incident does not show up on the Carfax.

The car is great, runs perfect and strong and still under warranty (until November). I prefer to sell the car here rather than pay to ship it and have it on the island. However, if I can***8217;t get a ***8220;decent***8221; amount for it, I***8217;ll end up taking it with me.

I have it listed on Autotrader & Craigslist but I thought I***8217;d make a thread up here to see if there was any interest. My list price currently is $49k but I***8217;m very negotiable on that number. The car is in Northern Virginia.

Please let me know if you have any questions/suggestions? Feel free to pm as well if you***8217;d like to know more about the car.

VIN#
WBAYF8C57DD140808

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,061 Posts
Year?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don't want to be a downer but a 2013 with 35k miles and a crash damage history is probably worth well less than $49k. I'm seeing CPO cars with similar miles going for $43-46k. Sucks to hear I'm sure but that's reality - with the repairs you're probably looking at mid-high $30s. Average price in the entire country is $45k and the low is $33k.

I'd suggest getting a bid from CarMax to see where you stand with them - maybe you'll get lucky and can just walk away with a check.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I get that, and that's why I'm prepared to be very negotiable on the price. Worst case, we'll take it with us. I just figured this would be a good place to get some intelligent discussion on the situation.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Was actually just thinking the same I have a 13 with 20k and mine is fully loaded only option I don't have is led headlights and b/o sound but got everything else u could get besides being bullet proof and clean as the board of health body wise not even a swirl mark in the paint and mine didn't cost that much cpo and all

·
German Car Enthusiast
272 Posts
10K too high. Expect a loss and figure if its better to hold on or let go. GLWS!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Tons of jeeps in Hawaii. Keep the BMW and be original :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
FWIW I didn't like trade values when my car was similar age and miles to you, so I decided to keep it. It has proceeded to depreciate at a rate that is breathtaking, averaging over $1200 a month just in lost value. I should have cut my losses early and moved on - now I'm in it forever out of pure spite.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I agree with leftlane, cut your losses ASAP. Know this much....you will miss the car no matter how much you sell it for. Bank the money saved until you find a new car to love.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the opinions and advice...I'll decide something in the next few weeks most likely. We don't leave until Oct. I'd be much less apprehensive about keeping the car if I could enjoy the factory warranty for awhile longer.

As it stands now, if I keep the car, I'll be paying approx. $1,200 to ship the car over, then another $5-7k for an aftermarket warranty (before November).

I agree that I'll miss the car no matter what I get for it, if I decide to trade or sell.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: I just found out that my warranty doesn't expire in November of 16, it expires in November of 17. Its good to know that I have another year of coverage!

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Hm...crash doesn't show up on Carfax? Then it didn't happen! GLWS

·
Registered
185 Posts
Interesting thread. Did you ever sell the car? I have a 2011 750Li Xdrive that has a CarFax report that shows the car having a report of Structural damage and Airbag deployment. The vehicle was in a front end collision. in 2014 when the car had 24,000 miles on it. I had the car repaired at the BMW Collision Repair facility which did a excellent job on the repair work. The shop was meticulous in their repair work. In the 54,000 miles I have driver since that time there has not been a single issue from any of the work they did in fixing the car. While the car does show the work on the CarFax I am hopeful that a buyer would still find the car to be an exceptional value on resale.

I am getting ready to sell the car as it was always my intent to drive it 3 years. The car still has a remaining warranty on it. Would this vehicle scare you as a buyer if you saw all the documents regarding the work that the BMW collision repair center did on the car. The center stated it was a lifetime warranty on BMW Parts and labor.

I know that a BMW dealer probably would not be interested in the car and would wholesale it at auction. But to a person wanting a great car like a 750Li Xdrive with warranty would it scare you off as a buyer? All service been done at the dealer other than tires.

Balance of Warranty: BMW Platinum+ (including electronics) warranty that runs until 9/15/2017 or 100,000 miles

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
Usually a crash voids the warty, personally I dont buy crashed cars. I dont even like them with any paint work.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Interesting thread. Did you ever sell the car? I have a 2011 750Li Xdrive that has a CarFax report that shows the car having a report of Structural damage and Airbag deployment. The vehicle was in a front end collision. in 2014 when the car had 24,000 miles on it. I had the car repaired at the BMW Collision Repair facility which did a excellent job on the repair work. The shop was meticulous in their repair work. In the 54,000 miles I have driver since that time there has not been a single issue from any of the work they did in fixing the car. While the car does show the work on the CarFax I am hopeful that a buyer would still find the car to be an exceptional value on resale.

I am getting ready to sell the car as it was always my intent to drive it 3 years. The car still has a remaining warranty on it. Would this vehicle scare you as a buyer if you saw all the documents regarding the work that the BMW collision repair center did on the car. The center stated it was a lifetime warranty on BMW Parts and labor.

I know that a BMW dealer probably would not be interested in the car and would wholesale it at auction. But to a person wanting a great car like a 750Li Xdrive with warranty would it scare you off as a buyer? All service been done at the dealer other than tires.

Balance of Warranty: BMW Platinum+ (including electronics) warranty that runs until 9/15/2017 or 100,000 miles
Most buyers and dealers will see the BOLD portion and instantly reduce the car's value by 10% minimum. Even if the airbags don't go off, the value will be reduced.

You can take a piece of paper and crumple it. Straighten it out and and do whatever you choose to it but it will never be as good as the original. Even when things get taken apart, they don't sit the proper way like they did from the factory.

Easy way to see this is that fender bolts will be scratched up on your car as the painted fender was screwed onto the car after the repairs were done rather than painting the fender on the car.

As hopeful as you can be, the value is only what another person is willing to pay. Dealer values Below:

Take 10-20% off and you'll get a rough idea of what to expect. The warranty coverage will add money but make sure it is transferable to the next owner!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I mean, everything I know about vehicles I can say $50k is reasonable but considering how much these cars go for it's more like $40k max at the dealership which means less in private party or selling to the dealer.

2013 M5s cost the same MSRP as the 2013 750s and kept their resell value of today around $50k. Considering the MSRP is the same they should depreciate the same but they didn't.

I mean, I assume vehicles that weren't driven much have more chance of being "damaged" by just sitting around. The more stagnant something is the less the materials have fluid splashed on them. Still, people sell cars for more money that have less mileage on them.

I suggest you go to every dealership and see how much you can get for the vehicle.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Usually a crash voids the warty, personally I dont buy crashed cars. I dont even like them with any paint work.
I have not been told that by the dealer who did the repair work and I would assume they would have had to notified one in writing to that effect. All work was done to their specifications per the BMW manual since it was a BMW certified shop facility.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts