Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
This is the Cubs year)
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would be nice to have a light come on in the armrest when opened, and also it would be nice to have the trunk open and close automatically in the future, what is up with that green string handle pull in the trunk you still have to put your hand on the trunk to shut it after do you not?..... k bmw get to work and make it happen.....

btw we want them standard.......

·
Registered
130 Posts
i don't really see these items as being a necessity... you already have maplights, might not always want a light coming on when you open the center console. trunk isn't really that hard to open/close. i've only see an open/close trunk on like a mercedes S-class.

·
This is the Cubs year)
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pbm317 said:
i don't really see these items as being a necessity... you already have maplights, might not always want a light coming on when you open the center console. trunk isn't really that hard to open/close. i've only see an open/close trunk on like a mercedes S-class.
obviously many items aren't a necessity..... but would be a very good idea for a bmw IMO.... I have pulled out stuff from my trunk with my hands full and wish I could have just hit a button on my fob to close the trunk........ it isn't for anything other than convienence when my hands are full.... and the light in the armrest would be nice to come on automatically, just like the light in the sun visor mirrors.....

i'm certainly not advocating for them being a necessity.

·
Special Agent
2,683 Posts
I think you are referring to the green string handle in the trunk that is the emergency release so someone can get out if they are trapped in there, (sad case in NJ where a few kids died this summer b/c they couldn't get out and no one could find them).

As for the auto close/ open trunk yeah they are good ideas but come on now this is not a high end luxury car, people seem to think it is but it is not; if it was a 6er or 7er then I would say yes but for a 3 that is not really realistic.

The light in the center console would make sense, as long as it was able to be turned off because if it were open (used for a cup or something and the lid did not close ) it would be annoying. Now i just use the map lights and I do not keep anything in there besides my phone and gas receipts. I am still contemplating ordering the Euro rest, I just can see shelling out the $300 for it, though it is nicer than ours it is not worth that coin.

Best of luck! :thumbup:

·
Yoyo Mama
619 Posts
schley said:
I have pulled out stuff from my trunk with my hands full and wish I could have just hit a button on my fob to close the trunk........ it isn't for anything other than convienence when my hands are full...
If you're hands are full - how would hit that button on the FOB anyway?

You'd probably have an easier time using your forearm or elbow to close the trunk lid :thumbup:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Many people consider the 3 to be too heavy allready. Adding an actuator for the trunk for the very few users that would like it and adding another pound or two and additional manufacturing costs and another item that can fail to all E90 driving around, would really be a waste.

I agree, such a feature belongs on a 7series at best (and even there I find it silly).

It´s not that BMW can´t do it. They (wisely) choose not to. Making an appealing car for many means compromising the wishes of some potential customers.

IMHO People are getting too soft / lazy anyway. Power seats for example seem like a true travesty to me. Is it really too much to pull a bloody lever to adjust your seat. Do we really have to hurl around several pounds of electric motors and wiring just because we´re THAT lazy?

Somebody should go around the world and collect all TV remote controls and then bann them from beeing produced. That would really help the obesity problem.

Sorry for drifting of into an :OT: rant here :D

·
Arrive Alive w/ my e92 M3
1,562 Posts
tierfreund said:
IMHO People are getting too soft / lazy anyway. Power seats for example seem like a true travesty to me. Is it really too much to pull a bloody lever to adjust your seat. Do we really have to hurl around several pounds of electric motors and wiring just because we´re THAT lazy?
i agree, I got heated seats rather than power and let me inlcude to your flame that people shouldnt expect runflats technology to do everything for them. When RFT tires becomes flat, they dont get change by themselves.

tierfreund said:
Somebody should go around the world and collect all TV remote controls and then bann them from beeing produced. That would really help the obesity problem.
Hey! Hey! hold it, thats a little bit extreme! I say just go to the gym, ok. but leave my TV remote alone, I need to flip between reality TV and my Tivo. ;)

That reminds me to pickup some KFC on my way home!

·
Registered
643 Posts
tierfreund said:
Though I agree that it not that hard to adjust your seat and you should not be playing with the seat adjustment other than once MAX before you start your ride if your car been driven by someone else..

However, power seats allow for memory seat positions.. and THAT is a bliss

·
This is the Cubs year)
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kobechrome said:
If you're hands are full - how would hit that button on the FOB anyway?

You'd probably have an easier time using your forearm or elbow to close the trunk lid :thumbup:
when this is applicable, I have the fob in my hand and pick up my grocery plastic bags or whatever I'm moving and do try and use my forearm to close then hit the lock button on my fob. Maybe I'm just a great athlete but I still would select an auto open / close trunk. I didn't think about the added weight in the rear, but I think I would sacrafice the extra 100 or so pounds for that convienence. good points

·
Registered
41 Posts
There have been numerous times when an "automatic" trunk would have been to my benefit. Though not nearly a necessity, I would pay for such an option. The 7-series already has an automatically opening and closing trunk and it is pretty cool. Even if the 3's trunk (luggage compartment, as they call it) opened hydraulically, that would be a bonus. Though I could see where lawsuits would soon follow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts