Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Needing help on picking a new suspension

I'm a new member and i have a 01 540 non sport auto..yeah yeah i know it was the right price and i needed a car i had wrecked my previous 97 528. But i now have almost 95000 miles and the suspension is shot. I need a new suspension i want something a little stiffer and lower than stock as i no longer need to use this as the family car. Bought the wife a 03 X5 4.4. Any advice would help. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Welcome to the forum :wave:
I like the wheels What size and by who?
Clean and great shine :thumbup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Go for Bilstein, Do you want to lower the car?, they have to alternatives Sport and Sprint, i cant really remember which one but one of em is for cars with lower springs, i think its the Sport ones that are standar lenght but cant say for shure, anyways i really like em.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can consider Bilstein Sprint kits shocks+springs front and rear. Have friends with that mod and they are very happy with the handling. Or Koni adjustable shocks+sport springs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats what i thought but i was looking into the Dinan stage 1 and they use koni's..i know the bilstien are expensive and i want to stay around $1500 but will pay extra for the complete dinan setup. Is there something comparable in the same price range?

·
A Purist's Nightmare LOL
670 Posts
Just to let you guys know... Autozone sells the Billsten Sport Rears for 79.00 each... may save some of you some money and you can order them locally and get free shipping. However, the fronts are $199.00 Each :dunno:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does that include the springs as well? i am going to assume not as well as these are not coilovers?

·
A Purist's Nightmare LOL
670 Posts
Nope, thats just the Rears themselves... but I have seen the whole kit on E-bay for 459.00 Shipped

·
I love my beautiful wife.
2,151 Posts
N.Anders said:
A BMW deserves Bilsteins :p BMW uses them aswell because you can order your car with bilsteins form the factory.
Wrong.

Sachs is OEM.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You can order your BMW with bilsteins as an option from the factory, atleast im pretty shure you can do it over here in europe.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok i'm still not sure what the best choice is then? please help

·
I love my beautiful wife.
2,151 Posts
I have Bilsteins sports on my e46 and they are awesome.

They are alot stiffer than my Sachs OEM (non sp) shocks, but not near the point of being unbearable.

I highly recommend.

·
A Purist's Nightmare LOL
670 Posts
Strut Length

I have been told that the oem struts are too long when coupled with lowering springs.. can someone explain this... i am only removing 1.3 inches of strut travel.... is it that critical?

·
'00 540i Sport
202 Posts
I had a 98 528i non sport with approx. 90K miles that needed suspension. I went with Bilstein shocks and H & R springs. I also had the thrust arm bushing replaced. The springs lowered the car about 1-1/4 to about the same height as a factory sport 528i. It handled like a dream, but the ride was definately stiffer. I had Group 2 Motorsports in Seattle do the work. They did a great job. Cost approx. $1800, but no regrets. I later sold the 528i and bought a 2000 540i sport.

·
Registered
51 Posts
you cant go wrong w/ H&R's.. its been said that bilsteins are a little stiff.. and koni's offer a little more comfort and adjustability.. i have H&R coilovers right now, but ive had a couple H&R/koni setups. PM me if you need advice or info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts