BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2016 BMW 340i 6MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I took my '16 340i in to the dealer for a new battery. When I went to put on a cable for a trickle charger, the negative battery bolt was almost impossible to get off, and literally impossible to get back on. I went back to the dealer and they don't have any spares lying around and they don't sell it separate from the negative cable. Does anyone know where I can source one of these bolts? It's not a standard size for a battery bolt, at least not one I can get at O'Reilly or AutoZone or something like that. I know it's M6-1.0 and should be 30mm long, but that's about it. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
2016 BMW 340i 6MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’ll do it, thanks! Now to figure out how to reprogram the battery bc I don’t know if the dealer will do it without me paying out the nose.

·
Registered
2016 BMW 340i 6MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I lucked out, just had to reset the clock and I'm good to go! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2016 BMW 340i 6MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s the same battery the dealer installed a few weeks ago, I just had to disconnect the negative terminal to replace the bolt. I don’t get any messages about it when I turn the car on, so I figure it’s the same as it was before.

·
Registered
537 Posts
It’s the same battery the dealer installed a few weeks ago, I just had to disconnect the negative terminal to replace the bolt. I don’t get any messages about it when I turn the car on, so I figure it’s the same as it was before.
When you replace the battery you are supposed to code it into your car. You need to tell the car that the battery is new so that it knows the battery is fresh. Doesn’t matter that it’s the same type of battery. Got it?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
You REGISTER the battery - it's not really coding.

·
Registered
2016 BMW 340i 6MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there a way for me to do this myself? I really would rather not take it to the dealer if I can help it. I'm assuming I need special computer software?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Yes - Rebound will tell you how to do it.

·
Registered
2016 BMW 340i 6MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found mention of using BimmerLink to register the battery, which I'm considering doing. I just don't know if my wireless OBDII dongle is compatible with it, so I may buy one of the ones they recommend instead. Any recommendations? I'm only just getting into doing maintenance on my car myself.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sure. There are a few solutions. The leading products are BimmerCode and Carly. Both require specific OBD dongles. Or, contact BimmerTech, a company that offers many coding solutions.

These three are easy to use, plug and play, as long as you use their recommended OBD dongle. There are other approaches, but they’re more technical in nature and take more effort to understand and use.

·
Registered
2016 BMW 340i 6MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sure. There are a few solutions. The leading products are BimmerCode and Carly. Both require specific OBD dongles. Or, contact BimmerTech, a company that offers many coding solutions.

These three are easy to use, plug and play, as long as you use their recommended OBD dongle. There are other approaches, but they’re more technical in nature and take more effort to understand and use.
That's great, thanks so much. I'll try BimmerCode with my current OBD dongle, and if that doesn't work I'll buy one of theirs. I'm betting that'll be much cheaper than getting the dealer to do it for me, and it gives me the opportunity to fix my battery and other parts of my car myself in the future. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
BimmerCode does not register the battery - BimmerLink & Carly can, as well as the Foxwell NT 510 or 520. That's why I stated that registering the battery is not coding. It's easy for an owner to get confused, purchase the wrong tool, waste money & not be able to get the job done.

I'd go back to the dealer, tell them what happened & hope that they'd do you a favor & recheck/re-register it for you.

Good luck!
https://bimmercode.app/
https://www.bimmerlink.app/

·
Registered
2016 BMW 340i 6MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I'm trying to go back to the dealer to have them just do it for me real quick, but seeing as they couldn't even sell me the bolt for the negative terminal (it comes as a package with the negative terminal itself, to the tune of $500+), I'm not holding my breath. I left a message with my SA to see if they can help me out but haven't heard back yet.

Good to know that BimmerCode can't register the battery, I was going to buy it shortly! I did order an OBDII dongle that'll work with both, and I can always return it if the dealer gets back to me in time. Otherwise, I'll buy BimmerLink on Saturday when the dongle comes in and get the car battery registered properly. BimmerCode looks like it can do a few things that I might like, but I don't know if changing the start screen among other things is worth the $32. Thanks again for all of the help!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yeah, I'm trying to go back to the dealer to have them just do it for me real quick, but seeing as they couldn't even sell me the bolt for the negative terminal (it comes as a package with the negative terminal itself, to the tune of $500+), I'm not holding my breath. I left a message with my SA to see if they can help me out but haven't heard back yet.

Good to know that BimmerCode can't register the battery, I was going to buy it shortly! I did order an OBDII dongle that'll work with both, and I can always return it if the dealer gets back to me in time. Otherwise, I'll buy BimmerLink on Saturday when the dongle comes in and get the car battery registered properly. BimmerCode looks like it can do a few things that I might like, but I don't know if changing the start screen among other things is worth the $32. Thanks again for all of the help!
BimmerCode and BimmerLink are made by the same company. So at least the same dongle should work with both. But you don’t need BimmerCode for this unless the battery type changed, and it most likely didn’t.

This is pretty simple stuff; shouldn’t be any problem for your dealer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts