BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm sure its nothing much to worry about, but I have a question about my new set up I have on my 328IS. I just installed all of my new suspension and front and rear camber adjustments. My rear has a decent amount of negative camber, but not a aggressive amount. I bought some used Bridgestone Turanzea ER33's used, and a different tire set for the front. The rears have good amount of road noise, pretty loud when I put the back seat down. Does anyone have any experience with these tires? I looked at some reviews, and they look like a good tire. or maybe it could be the negative camber? :dunno:

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
how many miles does your car have? at which speed does the noise start. I'm thinking wheel bearing. check the tread and make sure it isn't cupped or a directional tire facing the wrong way. try swapping the rears to the front to see if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car has lower 100,000 miles on it. Not sure of a exact mileage because I had to replace the gauge cluster when I bought the vehicle. The noise goes with the speed of the car, and maybe about 20 to 30. And the tires do not have a directional logo on the tire. But discount tire did notice the tires were worn in the middle tread a bit, maybe from over inflation from the previous owner of the tires?, can't switch them out with the fronts because they're a different size in the rears, but I had my stocks on before these, and no noise...how about just rotating the rears? Putting passenger side on driver, and vise versa?? :dunno:

how many miles does your car have? at which speed does the noise start. I'm thinking wheel bearing. check the tread and make sure it isn't cupped or a directional tire facing the wrong way. try swapping the rears to the front to see if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
try that, but if it goes with the speed of the car, that still supports a failed rear wheel bearing. what I'm about to suggest to you isnt exactly safe... and I dont condone it in your drive way. However when I worked in a dealership to diagnose wheel bearings I'd lift the rear end(or front end) of the car up and have the wheels spun up to about 40 miles an hour and take a stethoscope or long screw driver and place it against the bearing housing or hub, if you hear growling. 9 times out of 10 you've got a shot bearing. but like i said thats not the safest thing to do in your drive way.

·
Registered
12,878 Posts
If the noise truly just started with the change of the rear tires then it's not a wheel bearing issue.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that is true...but it wouldn't hurt to test, when I was changing my stuff out I did move the tire from the top and bottom and didn't see any play...but the stethoscope would work good. But how about a alignment I'm thinking maybe I should take it to eurowerks here in charlotte to get it done.

If the noise truly just started with the change of the rear tires then it's not a wheel bearing issue.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
start with the tires and work your way up. like DC wright said, if it just started. its probably the tires.

·
Registered
12,878 Posts
There are variations in alignment from car to car and tires take on a wear pattern based on the car they've been on. When you move them to a different car, particularly one that's had some suspension mods and more radical alignment angles it wouldn't be unusual to get some noise initially. If you've done a lot of work/rework on the rear suspension you may need an alignment regardless. I wouldn't expect camber to be much of a noise contributor, but excessive toe in or toe out (yes you have this on the rear of BMWs too) can cause a high noise level too.
If you get your car aligned and can get the tires trued, that should fix any issues related to suspension and tires. I'm not in the Charlotte area, but I did a quick search and found this business that does both alignment and truing. Obviously you need to check them out as to business practices and reputation.

http://www.rogerstiretruing.com/

I get my tires trued and balanced at a place here in Orlando about every 20K miles and it seems to actually extend the life of the tires. Hard to believe that shaving some tread off would make them last longer but that seems to be the effect. Regardless, it's the smoothest ride you can get because it compensates for any out of roundness of your wheels. It definitely takes less ballance weight after they've been trued than before.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I've never even heard of tire trueing...hmm cool! But thing is, these tires are pretty used, barely to the legal point, maybe that wouldn't be a good idea for I do need some tread lol...I got them for 80 bucks for the time being until I get the card paid down before I get a nice set lol...but yeah a alignment will probley be a good idea... would toe in the rear cause it to pull in the steering? Just a thought...because I always let go of the wheel when I'm on the highway to see if it pulls, and it still holds a straight line

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer App

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, I called my bud who works with a lot of namebrand tires at car max, he told me those bridgestone er33's were a known tire to be kind of loud...and also you are right about the wearing from the pervious owner, that could cause noise.

·
Registered
12,878 Posts
You do have to have some tread left to do the truing! Guess you can try the alignment and then live with whatever noise is left if the tires have that little life left.......

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah there's really not much tire life on them, but I like the idea of the trueing! But yeah I think it would be best to get the alignment on the vehicle and just wait till I get a good new set of tires. But hey alittle of topic, but u guys know any good bike racks for our cars?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts