BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, can somebody tell me if the rear camber on my 2005 525i can be adjusted because my tires are wearing on the inside, the right rear wore out alot quicker than the left rear it only lasted like 8000 miles.

Thanks!

·
Registered
142 Posts
A simple 4 wheel alignment should fix that. I had the same problem last year and an alignment fixed it...

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have noticed my 2004 530i appears to have a fare bit of negative camber as well in the rear. I was a bit worried at first but many other 5 series I have looked at look the same. I would assume its factory like that but I guess if you're only getting 8k out of a tire that's not right, does it look like the picture below? I would be interested to know what you find out in an alignment... maybe I need one.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have noticed my 2004 530i appears to have a fare bit of negative camber as well in the rear. I was a bit worried at first but many other 5 series I have looked at look the same. I would assume its factory like that but I guess if you're only getting 8k out of a tire that's not right, does it look like the picture below? I would be interested to know what you find out in an alignment... maybe I need one.

that pic is hilarious! I've noticed the same negative camber on other 5ers as well-mine included

·
Registered
783 Posts
Negative camber is NORMAL on the rear of your car. It's also NORMAL for the rear tires to wear (on the inside) due to this. You can minimize this be flipping (assuming they are directional) the back tires. Basically, it's a way of life on any newer BMW I've seen. I think you're wasting your money too if you think a (factory spec) alignment will fix this. Setting the rear camber angle to zero will address your issue if you must.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about installing a camber kit, will that help?, thanks all for the replies, and yes that picture is hilarious.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had my 545 set to the least amount of negative camber possible and still be "in spec." My handling WAS effected, but since I was expecting the changes, I drove carefully until I learned the limits of the new set up. I still can push the car hard through the twists, but have had my rears last 1 whole year:)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Negative camber is NORMAL on the rear of your car. It's also NORMAL for the rear tires to wear (on the inside) due to this. You can minimize this be flipping (assuming they are directional) the back tires. Basically, it's a way of life on any newer BMW I've seen. I think you're wasting your money too if you think a (factory spec) alignment will fix this. Setting the rear camber angle to zero will address your issue if you must.
This. ^

It's how you make a 4000 lb car handle the way an E60 does. You'll also find that if the car is driven aggressively, then the tires will wear evenly as well. Push a 4000 lb car hard through the corners and the outside half of the outside tire takes the brunt of the load, voila, the tires wear evenly.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The funny thing is.... I personally don't think I could drive my car any harder:) I climb 1700 ft in 5 miles on a twisty canyon road, pushing the limits of the 545i (whenever reasonably possible,) then a few miles of PCH and I-10. Triple digits everyday. I would eat a set of rears at least once a year, and fronts every 2.

Since this last alignment. Like I said I have the least amount of negative camber that is within BMW spec. My rears lasted since august of last year and the fronts are at least 2 years old and still have life on them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had multiple sets/brands of tires wear prematurely on my '04 545 Sport. First I blamed the tires, until I tried others and got the same result (noisy after 7500 miles). I solved the problem by having the dealer align the tires to within spec but "hug" the neutral end of the spec range. I insisted on getting a print out with the settings before and after. Following the change, I put over 35k miles on my Pilot Sports. I am sure there are handling tradeoffs, but acceptable for the type of driving I do. For alignments, I suck it up and do it at the dealer. I do not trust a tire shop with BMW alignment. One shop told me there was not adjustment for rear alignment on that car . . . that was my cue to get the hell out of that shop.

·
Registered
302 Posts
mine [535] has negative rear camber and worn tires that the dealer would like to replace for $760. however, i like the possibility of cross-swapping the tires on the rear.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've had several Sport equipped BMWs aligned to reduce the negative rear camber as much as possible to help on inner tire wear. Some cars seem to have more allowance than others.

My E90 doesn't wear at all on the inside and my E60 is too new for me to know but I did have it recently aligned.

My E46 still wears badly even though I have had it aligned reducing negative camber. But, I don't think it had much room to adjust from OEM settings.

I can't tell any difference in the way the cars handle when the change was made but I don't get much opportunity to drive them hard. I do go fast around curves when possible but still can't tell any difference.

Cross-swapping tires from rim to rim will help but it takes time and money. The alignment is the best approach for me.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Cross Swapping from wheel to wheel is possible for some tires and not for others. My current tires are dedicated "four corner" tires as they are directional, and have inner and outer markings. My next set will only be directional so I can cross swap.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts