Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

I am looking to get one of those new generation jump starters in Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=jump+starter

The problem is that all of them I have reviewed have very short cables.

My 428i is not jump started straight from the battery but the terminals in the engine compartment. The distance between the positive end of the cable and the negative end of the cable is not long enough, I can't reach the negative terminal.

Anyone has a recommendation on a jump started with longer cables and/or what's an alternative endpoint I can use as negative terminal in the engine block? :dunno: I don't seem to find a nice steel endpoint or nut that would be grounded.

Thanks!!

·
Warning - Thin Air
1,728 Posts
The negative end can be connected to any body part without paint on it (screw or bolt).

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
There should be a screw next to the positive terminal intended for just that use. Or as somebody else mentioned just clamp on to any convenient chunk of metal.

·
Novice driver
3,898 Posts
When hooking up Battery Tender to my car, I use one of the bolts attached to the strut tower as a negative terminal. It works fine. Here's a photo:

·
Registered
53 Posts
The cables are shorter than 15 inches? That is the distance give or take from the positive terminal connection to the negative post built in for jumping. It is located straight towards the front of the car from the positive connectors. Even closer to some of the bolts you can use. Page 212 of your manual for exact locations if you have one. :dunno:

..ZB

·
Registered
8,890 Posts
The cables are shorter than 15 inches? That is the distance give or take from the positive terminal connection to the negative post built in for jumping. It is located straight towards the front of the car from the positive connectors. Even closer to some of the bolts you can use. Page 212 of your manual for exact locations if you have one. :dunno:

..ZB
Here it is on my 435. I would imagine that in a 428 its in the exact same place.

435 engine compartment.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts