BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a 2001 540iT, today I had something not funny happened. Drove it to work, when I got there, I parked and shut off the engine but the key won't come off, I can start the car again and drive normally, so I talked to my mechanic and he said that it wasn't the cable from the ignition to the gear lever, what else I wouldn't be able to change from P to D. The only option would be a faulty Neutral Safety Switch, problem is that even using my spare key I still can't lock the car cause the other key is inside and the car unlocks automatically, and the part comes from Germany and takes about 30 days....

My question is, if there is a way to bypass the switch so that I can remove the key and lock the car?

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
The neutral switch shouldn't have anything to do with it if the key won't come out of the ignition lock.
I had the same problem years ago, had to get a new ignition tumbler. The dealer got it from Germany in 3 days.

·
Under the lift arms
12,950 Posts
youlll need your registration, license and credit card..

the dealer should be able to get it for you like jim said.. in 2 or 3 days,

you only need a bobby pin to remove the tumbler,

be warned that in its current state, any of the following can happen... the key can spin making you unable to turn the car on or off, the key can get jammed in or out,

and you need to (*if you dont want to have to drill your 400$ column ) be able to use your key to spin the tumbler to remove it,

SO if you can turn the key right now.. (being stuck in) Id suggest getting the tumbler out of the column asap

you can always drive it with out the tumbler out, (*just tape the key to the ews ring) start it with pliers or a screw driver

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
youlll need your registration, license and credit card..

the dealer should be able to get it for you like jim said.. in 2 or 3 days,

you only need a bobby pin to remove the tumbler,

be warned that in its current state, any of the following can happen... the key can spin making you unable to turn the car on or off, the key can get jammed in or out,

and you need to (*if you dont want to have to drill your 400$ column ) be able to use your key to spin the tumbler to remove it,

SO if you can turn the key right now.. (being stuck in) Id suggest getting the tumbler out of the column asap

you can always drive it with out the tumbler out, (*just tape the key to the ews ring) start it with pliers or a screw driver

I'll try that right now then

·
Under the lift arms
12,950 Posts
just look for videos of removing bmw cylinders.. the e39 the e36, the e46 all the same to remove

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
just saved your self like 500$
You can send Burning and me a few bucks for all the money we saved you.
Just kidding. Good luck with the fix.
If you have the wallet key it's easier to get the cylinder in and out.

·
Under the lift arms
12,950 Posts
dont thank me, thank jim. ive never had this problem on a e39 (*knock on wood) as a mater of fact ive never removed a cylinder from a e39 yet at least that i can remember

I just know its a standardized BMW issue from the earily 90's till the next gen.. which is the fob (like on our 550)

(*be happy you dont have fob issues) CAS system problems cost a lot more..

the plastic key jim? I never thought about that, ill remember that the next time though

·
Under the lift arms
12,950 Posts

This is the stage.. when the key just spins but is stuck in the car when its running..

Love your bmw and it will love you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did't really save, that money will end up going to brakes now, lol.

thanks again for the tip, that part isn't cheap that's for sure, dealer told me the tumbler needs to come programmed from Germany, so I have to go with my ID and proof of ownership.

I guess I'll be driving the car like I stole it.

Removing the tumbler was easy, just did what this video shows. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07nXc22eMhg&t=202s

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I don't know why they call it "programmed", they just assemble it to work with your key.
When I had to get one back in 2005 or 6 the part was $50.
What are they soaking you for it now?

·
Under the lift arms
12,950 Posts
i think i paid 185$ to have it sent to my house,

for what it was worth having to leave work early and travel the wrong direction from home

I think it was 35$ shipping... Think it was around 150$

they probably said it needs to be programmed because the guy who sold it to you hasnt seen a bmw that has had a turn key ever b4 lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To these push start generation, everything is programmed.

I may ask them to ship to my place, that's a great idea.

thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts