BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you believe this statement when people state it in classified ads?

I sure as hell don't.

·
Hofmeister kink ftw!1!!1!
1,482 Posts
If I see it in BMWCCA ads (Roundel, Boston Bimmer, etc.) I believe it. I generally think that CCA members look out for one another. At least I like to think that! :thumbup:

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
Why not? I suspect that the number of BMWs that have been tracked/raced/autoxed/etc to be a very small percentage of the total number of BMWs sold. Let's face it... nowadays most people buying BMWs are buying snob appeal rather than a performance car, especially if it is a new 5/6/7 series.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Well, let's think about why someone would put that statement in the ad in the first place.

Whoever is selling the car must be aware that those viewing the ad might think that the car was raced or tracked.

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
Ågent99 said:
Well, let's think about why someone would put that statement in the ad in the first place.

Whoever is selling the car must be aware that those viewing the ad might think that the car was raced or tracked.
I'm sure the percentage of BMW CCA members that track their cars is much higher than the general public. Its the primary reason I joined. So, if someone has a modded car and states that, I wouldn't believe it. However, an all original mint-condition E30 M3 was probably a garage queen, so I'd give it the benefit of the doubt. I guess I'll never get to say that about my car. How about "never street-raced?" :p

·
bmw330pp
1,545 Posts
RChoudry said:
Do you believe this statement when people state it in classified ads?

I sure as hell don't.
:stupid:
Just like a guilty person covering up for something he hasn't even been accused of yet. :tsk:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Ågent99 said:

This is exactly the reason one would put that in an ad. I did in mine on various enthusiasts boards. But if I was advertising in the newspaper, I woudn't put that in.

·
Donkeybike?
3,680 Posts
I view cars listed as 'Never been tracked' with a weary eye.

Case in point, my wife's 318i, yeah, I could tell from a get go that the car was never tracked, and it showed via minor things here and there that were simply never taken care of. Most tracked cars undergo much more scrutinous maintenance schedules. I know my car has.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
In my mind it doesn't really matter. What does tracking/racing a car do to it anyway? Wear out brakes? Bushings? Shocks? Tires? You can replace those. Run the thing at redline? So what...I do that all the time.

I would be far more concerned with accidents or smoke. Those are two things that can't be easily remedied.

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
philippek said:
In my mind it doesn't really matter. What does tracking/racing a car do to it anyway? Wear out brakes? Bushings? Shocks? Tires? You can replace those. Run the thing at redline? So what...I do that all the time.

I would be far more concerned with accidents or smoke. Those are two things that can't be easily remedied.
I don't know exactly what happens, but my car was tight before I took it to the track.
After that, I can clearly tell that it's as loose as an old ho. :eeps:

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
JetBlack330i said:
I don't know exactly what happens, but my car was tight before I took it to the track.
I think the track time sharpens your senses and you notice things about the car that were always there. I felt the same about my car until I drove a few other cars and realized how much better my BMW still was. That, and corners that felt right before at 40mph feel slow at 50mph now.

Actually, I'm going to be looking for a track car not because of the wear issue, but more because I want to take the car to its limits and don't want to damage it. (see picture from this year's Road America meet.) Even good drivers make mistakes. Also, I won't feel guilty about modding an older car as I would my new one.

Attachments

·
Donkeybike?
3,680 Posts
JetBlack330i said:
The question begs to be asked... did you break her in properly. :p :D :angel:

·
Banned
0 Posts
So thats why Aty was so mad? :dunno: :eeps:

I think its good to know if a car has been rode hard (track). In the end your making a car deal. You have to basically trust what a seller is telling you. When spending a good amount of money on a car, dont you have it inspected? I would think abuse is obvious. If your not comfortable making those kind of determinations, take someone who is or have the car inspected. I dont assume dishonesty.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mmm,
I'd have thought that most folks who don't race, attend "track days" or otherwise hammer their car,
...wouldn't even think to mention it ;)

methinks that some may protest too much !

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Although within the CCA people know that cars are tracked. Also once ONE seller id it, others will follow.

As for believing it, it depends on a lot of factors. But when you buy a used car you are basically believing the seller or not. So in most cases, if everything else is as mentioned, I would tend to vbelieve it, if there were other discrepencies, I would wonder.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts