BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Never do business with Thompson BMW!!!!

13K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  468706 
#1 ·
So. My cousins m5 is less than 1 month old with only 2,000 miles on it in showroom condition... Sticker on his car is $120k. He decided he may want to pick up the new m3 cs so we went to have a look at it. These thieves at Thompson bmw in PA offered him $85k on his trade in. I have never met a dealer with less shame or more balls in my life! They were talking about market value on a used m5 as if there is any history on it at all! The car just came out and there aren***8217;t any used ones on the market or any that have run through the auction as of yet. Most dealers don***8217;t even have them on the lot and most that do are asking over sticker. Their used cars are also priced ridiculous. 2016 m3***8217;s with over 20k on the clock for $65,000 what a f**king joke! As a newer bmw owner myself I***8217;m hoping other dealerships are better than this one!

#2 ·
A car will depreciate an average of 12% once driven off the lot. The dealer is going to want to make money on the transaction. They are in no obligation to buy that car for anymore than they think its worth, not what your cousin thinks its worth. Why get upset at the dealer when all they did is make an offer which you aren't obligated to take? Just because your cousin has buyer's remorse doesn't change what the car is worth and most dealers will try to take advantage of that. As you said, hope that another dealer has a better deal but don't go disparaging the dealer for merely an offer you didn't feel was fair.

#8 ·
Jero 12% of 120,000 is 14,400. Which would have at least been a somewhat reasonable offer. They offered him 34,000 dollars off the sticker price of a 2k mile basically brand new car. That***8217;s ridiculous if you don***8217;t see that I recommend you buy and trade in all your cars to Thompson BME they would love to have you lol.

#3 ·
So. My cousins m5 is less than 1 month old with only 2,000 miles on it...He decided he may want to pick up the new m3 cs so we went to have a look at it.
Just because your cousin has buyer's remorse doesn't change what the car is worth
I hope your cousin isn't 'stuck' with 'just' an M5. :rofl:

That M5 is more car than that CS will ever be. I'd hold on to it :dunno:

#5 ·
He misses his comp pack m3 at times.... the m5 is an amazing car but just isn***8217;t as fun to drive. The car is exceptionally capable and the interior and tech in the car is outstanding, but it***8217;s very muted while the m3 isn***8217;t. Sometimes the ***8220;better***8221; car isn***8217;t the better car for everyone I guess.

#7 ·
He misses his comp pack m3 at times.... the m5 is an amazing car but just isn't as fun to drive. The car is exceptionally capable and the interior and tech in the car is outstanding, but it's very muted while the m3 isn't. Sometimes the "better" car isn't the better car for everyone I guess.
Why doesn't he try to sell it himself on one of the better classified sites where the enthusiasts usually hang out? Gotta be someone out there who wouldn't mind the discounted price it will take to sell it which would be substantially higher than the dealer is offering. It sounds like they just don't want an M5 to try to resell for some reason. Dunno.

#6 ·
He should've test-driven the M5 before buying it.

So, if he decides to go through with it, he loses $35K+ for owning the M5 for a month...… a nice way to throw away a barrel-full of money. lol.

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#9 ·
Trade in on a one month old car with high mileage will always get you a bad deal. I know 2000 miles is low, but for a one month old car it is considered high. The other aspect that made this a difficult deal for the dealer was the trading in on a less expensive new low production car.

First world problems I guess.

#10 ·
I don't know of any BMW dealer that possibly will offer more than $100,000 as trade in for this car as this M5 is no different production/sales-wise as any other M5 before it. Always start with a lot of demand, then drop like a rock in a couple of months. Discounts and trunk money start pouring after that. Resale value is always worse than an M3 as well, vis á vis.

Sell privately and perhaps you will get $100,000 for it. Perhaps.

So. My cousins m5 is less than 1 month old with only 2,000 miles on it in showroom condition... Sticker on his car is $120k. He decided he may want to pick up the new m3 cs so we went to have a look at it. These thieves at Thompson bmw in PA offered him $85k on his trade in. I have never met a dealer with less shame or more balls in my life! They were talking about market value on a used m5 as if there is any history on it at all! The car just came out and there aren't any used ones on the market or any that have run through the auction as of yet. Most dealers don't even have them on the lot and most that do are asking over sticker. Their used cars are also priced ridiculous. 2016 m3's with over 20k on the clock for $65,000 what a f**king joke! As a newer bmw owner myself I'm hoping other dealerships are better than this one!

#13 ·
The pain of making a bad choice

So. My cousins m5 is less than 1 month old with only 2,000 miles on it in showroom condition... Sticker on his car is $120k. He decided he may want to pick up the new m3 cs so we went to have a look at it. These thieves at Thompson bmw in PA offered him $85k on his trade in. I have never met a dealer with less shame or more balls in my life! They were talking about market value on a used m5 as if there is any history on it at all! The car just came out and there aren't any used ones on the market or any that have run through the auction as of yet. Most dealers don't even have them on the lot and most that do are asking over sticker. Their used cars are also priced ridiculous. 2016 m3's with over 20k on the clock for $65,000 what a f**king joke! As a newer bmw owner myself I'm hoping other dealerships are better than this one!
Buyer's remorse!

Your cousin made a decision to buy a car that wasn't to his liking ... and now the dealer is capitalizing on the buyer's bad decision - Why blame the dealer??

He now has a USED M5 to sell. And used car buyers can be tough negotiators.

Unless they FORCED your cousin to Buy / lease an M5?!?!?
Did they threaten his life?? :eek::yikes::eek:

Net net - I think your anger / disdain is incorrectly placed. You might offer to help your cousin fight his battle.

Welcome to the forum - I hope your future posts will be of happier moments! :thumbup:

#27 · (Edited)
They're not thieves; your cousin just didn't like their offer and can walk away if he doesn't like it. Anyway, one of two things is going on here, so the cousin needs to decide which category he fits in and move on with life:

1) Cousin has more money than sense by trading in a $120k car within 30 days, in which case he should just do whatever makes him feel the best.

2) Despite buying a $120k car a month ago, the cousin isn't in a position to take such a loss on a whim like this, so he should just enjoy the M5 for a year or two while accepting that he made the 'wrong' choice.

It is what it is, and a guy in your cousin's position isn't going to find much sympathy on a web forum.

Your cousin made a decision to buy a car that wasn't to his liking ... and now the dealer is capitalizing on the buyer's bad decision - Why blame the dealer??
I'd actually argue that the dealer isn't trying to capitalize on the cousin's decision--that's just what they're prepared to make for an initial (or even final) offer for the car. It's not an emotional decision for them like it is for the seller (as you can see from the OP).

I suspect you didn't mean it the way I interpreted it, though--just saying that the dealer isn't taking advantage of anyone here.

#14 ·
Update... my cousin has spoken to 2 other dealers today and both have offered him over 100k

Dealer 1 offered 105k
Dealer 2 offered 107.5k

Also both dealers while they don***8217;t have the CS are offering around 10% off the m3 should he decide to take it.

Quite obvious at this point that Thompson bmw was trying to rip him off.

#15 · (Edited)
Update... my cousin has spoken to 2 other dealers today and both have offered him over 100k

Dealer 1 offered 105k
Dealer 2 offered 107.5k

Also both dealers while they don't have the CS are offering around 10% off the m3 should he decide to take it.

Quite obvious at this point that Thompson bmw was trying to rip him off.
That's a lot better, but he's still going to lose almost $20K for what is essentially a 1-month rental (and a downgrade to boot). I still think he should wait a bit and drive the M5 for a while longer to see if he changes his mind. There's a chance if he could end up growing to like the car as time goes on. (I had a similar experience some years ago after buying a Jaguar F-Type R.....I bought the car on an impulse and thought about selling the car quickly. But once I learned about the horrid depreciation, I ended up keeping it and enjoying it for several more years).

#17 ·
Agree on keeping the M5. After my 4GC lease ended I bought a CPO Merc C400. I had buyers remorse and was seriously looking to trade it in on another 4 series, but I kept it and the longer I had it I started to appreciate the areas it was superior to the F36. Had it about 4 months now and I am now very happy with it...dealer replaced both front driveshafts too and this combined with running higher tire pressures means it handles much better than initially too.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

#18 ·
idiotic back and forth BS removed. Thread moved to dealer feedback where it should have been in the 1st place.

#19 ·
It seems that Thompson just wasn't interested in that kind of deal, and made the lowball offer to discourage further negotiations. They are a business and are allowed to make business decisions, just as the buyer is allowed (encouraged, in this case) to shop around. No one is forced to buy or sell to or from anyone. I think they may have actually been doing you a favor although it may be hard to see that. It's definitely not worth the kind of bad-mouthing the thread opens with.

#21 ·
And I have nothing but positive things to say about Thompson in Doylestown, Pa. Easy negotiations, friendly people, great service department. AND they give you gift cards for Perkins across the street while you wait for your car's servicing. They treated us much better than my previous NJ dealerships I used.

#26 ·
I read somewhere that a full-face helmet ant airbags are a bad combination. I never heard that about "conventional" helmets, though. I duh know about gong 150 MPH without a helmet. This calls for a Google search... tomorrow. My brain is my second favorite organ.

Those free BMW helmets weren't SNELL certified.

#29 ·
The dealer has taken your cousin for a fool. Him having buyers remorse one month after buying a $120k car I can't say that I find fault with the dealer's assessment.

#30 ·
Wow wish I had 85k to spend let alone 120k
Much be nice to have so much money and ditch a car after one month.
Obviously he has no idea how the secondhand market works.
Happy with my 97' 540iM package
For 5k .(AU) Looks awesome ,all the wrinkles have been ironed out, and it goes like a bat out of hell.

#32 ·
to nychellcat

please be advised that no matter what you think of the offer from the dealership, it was just that..an offer. my lawyer once told me to never publish anything on the net that you wouldn't put on the front page of a newspaper. you calling this dealership "THIEVES" IS SLANDER. you'd better hope that they don't read your post, or you'll be looking for your own lawyer!

#33 ·
please be advised that no matter what you think of the offer from the dealership, it was just that..an offer. my lawyer once told me to never publish anything on the net that you wouldn't put on the front page of a newspaper. you calling this dealership "THIEVES" IS SLANDER. you'd better hope that they don't read your post, or you'll be looking for your own lawyer!
I highly doubt that Thompson BMW would go through the trouble, especially since Bimmerfest is owned by VerticalScope, Inc which is a Canadian company. eDiscovery would be expensive to track down the OP, including his IP address as if he used a VPN and routed through a non-US sever, who has international jurisdiction?

It would be libel, but Thompson must prove that the statement constitutes a false statement of fact. A fact is different than an opinion. A fact can be proven true or false. Opinions are typically not actionable as defamation. OP stated a opinion, as after reading his post, I agree with his opinion. I used a VPN to post this via Zurich, Switzerland.

PS Trump tweets all the time his opinion, has he successfully sued for libel? No. #fakenews

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.