BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. Picking up our 128i this Saturday.
I have a couple of questions before.

Bluetooth; Will other phones pair up not just the ones listed?
Just looking to be legal while driving. BMW USA was no help.

Fog Lights;
What size bulb are the fog lights?
Looking to order led bulbs before I pick it up.:)

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! What packages do you have? AFAIK the car should be able to pair with a few phones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats on your purchase! What packages do you have? AFAIK the car should be able to pair with a few phones.
Thanks.
Preimum
Alpine White
Beige
Steptronic
heated Seats
satellite radio
Value pkg.

Hopefully it pairs up. The only phones listed on BMWUSA are smart phones.
I am old school. Just a simple cell phone.
We will see Saturday.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Sweet, it sounds like a nice ride. Is it a 2011 or 2012?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Congrats...love our AW 2011 128i couple...and my older [what?, 5 years?] Samsung paired right up...no probs.

Can't answer on the fogs...liked what came with it, and have not looked back on any mod for that. Now the HPExhaust...that has been another matter...love that. Good luck on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats...love our AW 2011 128i couple...and my older [what?, 5 years?] Samsung paired right up...no probs.

Can't answer on the fogs...liked what came with it, and have not looked back on any mod for that. Now the HPExhaust...that has been another matter...love that. Good luck on it.
Thank you. Found the bulb size. Putting the same led bulb I put in My Wife's TSX.
I like the idea of the exhaust.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 128i convertible

Hi All - bought a new 2011 128i convertible last week .. very excited !!! this is my first bimmer! ... I had a concern reg. the fuel consumption though and any experiences shared here would be greatly appreciated!

My car config is as below:

Deep sea blue exterior, beige interior, Premium pkg

My concern (if at all) is: after driving just the first 100 miles (mostly in the city/suburbs), my fuel tank is already at the halfway mark. This means that I can drive about 200 miles on a full tank. This would amount to about 14 MPG rather than the specified 21 MPG in the city.

Can anyone let me know if the initial fuel consumption is always this high or is it unusual ?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

·
Registered
970 Posts
I have a 2009 128i vert which I drive on nice days. Less than 12,000 miles. I average about 27 mpg. Most of my miles are back and forth to work which is about 7 miles of stop and go (10 lights), about 12 miles on the highway, followed by another 6-7 miles with a couple lights. My mileage seems to be increasing a little but very gradually.

How hard you push it makes a huge difference in your mileage. I take it pretty easy the vast majority of the time. I have no doubt I could get it down to the teens if I pushed harder.

Your packages did not include iDrive. I did not get it either. There is a BMW Portable GPS that you can add for around half the price of the iDrive. You can also just buy the bracket from BMW and install your choice of Garmin GPS. That is what I did. Initially I used a 760 but have switched to a 885t (the 885t is voice controlled, both have bluetooth and play MP3s). There are some good articles in the DIY and electronics technical section of 1addicts website. My normal trip routine is to play MP3s off the GPS, sometimes using the navigation, and talking on the phone via bluetooth. I have a remote microphone (Garmin's is only about $15) so the sound quality to callers is pretty good. I plug the GPS into the accesory socket so my sound is coming out the speakers. The BMW Portable installation is even better integrated switching form the radio to the GPS or phone seamlessly.

Jim

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
My concern (if at all) is: after driving just the first 100 miles (mostly in the city/suburbs), my fuel tank is already at the halfway mark. This means that I can drive about 200 miles on a full tank. This would amount to about 14 MPG rather than the specified 21 MPG in the city.

Can anyone let me know if the initial fuel consumption is always this high or is it unusual ?
1. You are still breaking the car in. Mileage should increase by 10~20% after 5,000 miles or so.
2. Your fuel tank markings may or may not be linear. Allowing for a 2 gallon reserve, the 1/2 way point could indicate 6 gallons consumed - also depending on whether the tank was absolutely full to begin with. That would be 16.6 mpg.
3. Many of us reset the avg. mpg computer parameter at each fill-up to get a more accurate handle on mileage. Recording your actual mpg and comparing it to the computer over a number of fill-ups will let you know the computer error, if any (newer BMWs seem to be off by less than 2%). Also check your odometer accuracy - mine under-reads by about 1 1/2%.
4.Traffic mileage will never be as good as highway mileage.

With about 34,000 miles on it , my MT 128i 'vert does about 21 mpg in light traffic and 28~32 on the highway. Overall corrected gas mileage with mostly highway & back road use stands at 27.9 mpg, running primarily 93 octane fuel.

Tom

·
Registered
1 Posts
fuel consumption 128i

Hi
I just bought a new 128i convertible. It seemed like my first tank went really fast also. I now have 2300 miles or so and it does a little less than 300 miles per tank. Haven't had such a small (14) gallon tank before. I think what it is showing on the meter is about right and it shows a bit over 22.

I love my car....really love it. It's a space gray with red leather, manual with as few options as possible. It is a really awesome car so far.

bernie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts