BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Great board here. In the last week I've managed to install an Aux Input to the factory headunit and reset my passenger window for one-touch open/close, all through the help of this board!

I purchased my 05 Z4 3.0i last week and had a question regarding the Sport button. Is there any difference between enabling this button versus moving the gear shift left to enable manual shifting (but not moving it into a fixed gear)? Curious why there seems to be a redundant way to access the Sport mode, and wondering if having both enabled provides any difference than just one exclusively.

Also, I purchased the Aux In cable from a Mini dealership (the single cable that terminates in an 1/8" jack) which installed perfectly (once I figured out the air vent trick... thanks folks!). I notice a big difference in bass response when using my iPhone through this connection versus playing the same material on CD. I'm well aware of the differences introduced by compressing the songs on the iPhone but they are fairly high bitrate and sound great on other systems (including my home stereo) so there is definitely something "off" with the Aux In path on the headunit.

I have my iPhone EQ set to "off" (which I prefer for many reasons) and I need to enable the headunit's DSP setting (Jazz Club) just to get the bass response comparable to CD playback (which doesn't require any DSP setting). I find the DSP settings to be very exaggerated and severely damage the high frequencies, so I would love to find a way to work around this, as I'm extremely impressed with how CD playback sounds in the car.

I noticed some mentions in other threads about a capacitor and resistor built into the cable which adversely affect the bass response, and some have been able to overcome this by removing the capacitor. All the threads seemed to die without a full resolution or response, so I'm wondering if anyone has any current thoughts or experience on this.

Thanks all!
Jeff

·
Have Fun... Life is short
82 Posts
I installed an aux input on my 2006 Z4 last week. As far as I understand, the resistor/capacitor circuit is in the cable so that the radio "sees" a 300k load and then "knows" that there is something attached to the aux input. Otherwise, if you simply connected a cable, the radio would not allow you to select the aux mode.

The circuitry doesn't seem to affect the tonal quality as far as I can tell. FWIW, I design large audio and video systems for performing arts spaces so I'm pretty sure I would have noticed a drop in the bass response. Try playing a normal CD and also play the MP3 version from your Ipod to see if there is a noticeable difference. Let me know. Thanks!

·
Luv'in Texas
1,001 Posts
I have an Ipod and I bought an "audio out" cable rather than using the earphone jack. You will find that you get a much better sound that way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks folks. I have compared my iPhone against a CD of the same track and there is a substantial difference.

BTEN, I'll pickup a line out cable and see if there's a noticeable difference. I wasn't aware they existed as I thought the iPod/iPhone needed to see a power source on the dock connection, otherwise it would override it and continue to output through the headphone jack, but it looks like some cable manufacturers have been able to circumvent this.

As far as the Sports button question is concerned, I've continued to look this up and it looks as though the throttle enhancements are identical whether you press the Sports button or simply move the gear shift to the left, however there are additional performance enhancements offered only through the Sport button (steering assist, etc.). The various threads I have seen are still somewhat inconclusive on this though, so if anyone has the definitive answer it would be greatly appreciated!

·
Have Fun... Life is short
82 Posts
Sorry I didn't clarify it in my first post, but I connected the line out (through the 30 pin connector) to the aux in cable.

I also wired in a switched 12 volt power line. Now when I turn the car off, the iPod goes into sleep mode. It continues from where it stopped when I press Play.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Can you elaborate on the 12v power addition? Not sure if I plan on taking things that far, but if the iPhone functionality seems quirky when accessing through the dock port, I may need to get creative.

·
Luv'in Texas
1,001 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Installed the dock adapter over the weekend and was actually disappointed to find the same lack of bass consistency compared to CD playback. The output level was obviously different compared to the headphone connection but I still need to engage the DSP settings on the headunit in order to get bass response even close to CD playback (with no DSP settings). Might just have to live with it, unless someone comes across another AUX cable which doesn't interfere with the low frequency response of the signal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you have the sport package would your car not be a 3.0si? or am I confused anyway the Dynamic Driving Control (Sport button); via the console-mounted Sport button, offers quicker throttle action, reduced power-steering assist and if the vehicle is so equipped there is the Sport mode for the Sequential Manual Gearbox or an additional Sport mode for the STEPTRONIC automatic transmission.

·
Registered
253 Posts
If you have the sport package would your car not be a 3.0si? or am I confused anyway the Dynamic Driving Control (Sport button); via the console-mounted Sport button, offers quicker throttle action, reduced power-steering assist and if the vehicle is so equipped there is the Sport mode for the Sequential Manual Gearbox or an additional Sport mode for the STEPTRONIC automatic transmission.
For 2003-2005 it was the 2.5i and the 3.0i models (with the M54 engine). 3.0si was the 'big' engine for 2006+ and the 3.0i was the little one (with the N52 engine) The sport button was part of the Sport Package which was an add-on for all models.

And yes, the sport button changes the throttle response, the power steering assist/feel (in non-M models), and the shifting in SMG/Auto equipped cars. I don't know what the difference is between pressing the sport button and sliding the auto shifter over into S mode (it doesn't go into manual mode until you change a gear)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have an '04 3.0i with SMG. I can't speak for a fully automatic transmission, but the SMG offers two modes: automatic and manual. In automatic mode the car shifts as if it were an automatic, i.e., without any driver input. In manual mode, the car will not upshift unless the driver manipulates the paddle shifters on the steering wheel or the gearshift. Similarly, the car will not downshift *except* when the RPMs drop to idle (at say a full stop) at which point the car will drop into first gear on its own.

There is no "S" mode with respect to the gearshift or paddles. If your car has the sports package (including the Sport button on the center console), engaging it will make the shift points (when in automatic mode) more aggressive and it will decrease the overall time it takes to shift (in either mode) significantly. Personally speaking, I never drive without it enabled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey folks,

Great board here. In the last week I've managed to install an Aux Input to the factory headunit and reset my passenger window for one-touch open/close, all through the help of this board!

I purchased my 05 Z4 3.0i last week and had a question regarding the Sport button. Is there any difference between enabling this button versus moving the gear shift left to enable manual shifting (but not moving it into a fixed gear)? Curious why there seems to be a redundant way to access the Sport mode, and wondering if having both enabled provides any difference than just one exclusively.

Also, I purchased the Aux In cable from a Mini dealership (the single cable that terminates in an 1/8" jack) which installed perfectly (once I figured out the air vent trick... thanks folks!). I notice a big difference in bass response when using my iPhone through this connection versus playing the same material on CD. I'm well aware of the differences introduced by compressing the songs on the iPhone but they are fairly high bitrate and sound great on other systems (including my home stereo) so there is definitely something "off" with the Aux In path on the headunit.

I have my iPhone EQ set to "off" (which I prefer for many reasons) and I need to enable the headunit's DSP setting (Jazz Club) just to get the bass response comparable to CD playback (which doesn't require any DSP setting). I find the DSP settings to be very exaggerated and severely damage the high frequencies, so I would love to find a way to work around this, as I'm extremely impressed with how CD playback sounds in the car.

I noticed some mentions in other threads about a capacitor and resistor built into the cable which adversely affect the bass response, and some have been able to overcome this by removing the capacitor. All the threads seemed to die without a full resolution or response, so I'm wondering if anyone has any current thoughts or experience on this.

Thanks all!
Jeff
I have the same problem:
When I compare a CD and MP3 on the iPhone 4, the bass is very low.
I'm using a dock cable to USB + AUX. (By the way I have a ground loop problem, but that's another topic).
I make my own cable TO: 1 + 2 resistors capacitors 0.22.

I discovered something yesterday I plugged the USB on the cigarette lighter, and to take, I'm the only right and left contact, not the ground, and voilà: the sound was much better ! The very powerful bass.

Which can also be tested?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry I didn't clarify it in my first post, but I connected the line out (through the 30 pin connector) to the aux in cable.

I also wired in a switched 12 volt power line. Now when I turn the car off, the iPod goes into sleep mode. It continues from where it stopped when I press Play.
Where did you find the 12v switched?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts