BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just picked up a lease on a 3281 sedan. I thought it came with satellite radio - apparently it does not. I am now learning that it is Satellite Prepped (Code 693?), and I am not sure what this means.

I would like to get Sirius or XM in my car, but am not sure how to go about it. i don't really want one of those external plug and play receivers, but the dealer told me I would have to buy a whole new radio to the tune of about $900 installed.

Is there any other way around this? Would like to be able to run satellite radio through the existing factory receiver in the console. Experiencing buyer's remores, somewhat. Love the car otherwise.

Thanks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Turn on your Sirius option and it'll give you a number to call to subscribe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the problem - I don't see any reference to the Satellite System, in order to go down that path. No SAT button or anything like that. That is why when I called the dealer he said the car was only Satellite Prepped - and then said it is Code 693. i have no idea what this means, or how to deal with it.

Thanks though.

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
That is why when I called the dealer he said the car was only Satellite Prepped - and then said it is Code 693. i have no idea what this means, or how to deal with it.
It means you have to buy the part, and have the dealer install it (under the trunk's flooring). It's like $600 to do this.

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
My car has a SAT box in the trunk... my guess is that you need a similar box, which once connected to the installed wiring, will allow you to call Sirius and get hooked up... I can't imagine you would need a whole new radio, but I could be wrong... You might check www.realoem.com and see if there is a part number for the SAT tuner...

Well, I checked for you, and no part number... but I think this is what you need...

E90N 328i Satellite- radio

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
Check with Tischer (BMW of Silver Spring)... they might be able to give you a good price on the unit... www.getbmwparts.com Here is what they are asking...

UOMQTYMSRPPRICE
Each******* class=textbox maxLength=6 size=3 value=1 name=quantity_3>$569.25 $455.40
OEM BMW Sirius Satellite Radio for MOST Bus Vehicles
Sirius Satellite Radio for MOST Bus Vehicles - E82/88 1 Series, E9x 3 Series, E60/61 5 Series, E63/64 6 Series, E65/66 7 Series, early F01/02 7 Series, E70 X5, E71 X6, E89 Z4. SIRIUS Satellite Radio features over 120 streams of commercial-free music, news, sports and entertainment from the best names in the business, including CNN, ESPN, CNBC, NPR and Radio Disney. The Sirius receiver moutns inconspicuously in the trunk of your vehicle and integrates seamlessly with the controls of your BMW's radio. Vehicle option #693 (Satellite Radio Preparation) required.
Installation kit also required - sold separately.
*Trim panel 51477070549 required on some vehicles.

Item # 65129192274*

*******> ********>
*******> ********>

·
Registered
4 Posts
My car has a SAT box in the trunk... my guess is that you need a similar box, which once connected to the installed wiring, will allow you to call Sirius and get hooked up... I can't imagine you would need a whole new radio, but I could be wrong... You might check www.realoem.com and see if there is a part number for the SAT tuner...

Well, I checked for you, and no part number... but I think this is what you need...

ditto

·
Registered
8,180 Posts

No more Sat tuners in the trunk since MY2010.

It is either replacing the OEM HU with a OEM HU with built-in Sat radio or adding an aftermarket Sat radio tuner.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought my 328ix slightly used about two months ago- and it came with a free three month Sirius trial. The Sirius people had my VIN and said I had the right radio head unit. I stayed on the phone with them for an hour and they sent several activation signals. No joy.

I finally figured out my car does not have that option (sound familiar?). Last week the Sirius people called and asked if I wanted to renew my service. HAH.

Angie

·
Registered
31 Posts
Talk to your SA and they can install it, I just had mine done as I was in the same situation. Ran about $625...in at 7am, done by 2. I've to Nav, not sure if that's the reason you need a new HU?

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Talk to your SA and they can install it, I just had mine done as I was in the same situation. Ran about $625...in at 7am, done by 2. I've to Nav, not sure if that's the reason you need a new HU?
The iDrive has a standard Sirius tuner built-in from factory, it only needs activation thru codes if the option was not selected from factory. The OP seems to have the radio unit which does not have the Sirius tuner built-in from factory.

And by the way, the iDrive Sat tuner activation codes are $350, with a 20 minutes load by the book. Which should make it no more than a $450 job if it is not the Convertible. The Convertible requires the install of the Sat antenna, which adds about $200 to the total cost.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good info, Tech. I figured it was something related to the iDrive. Still think it's silly that it's not an included option if it's already in there and just not activated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Location in wagon and crutchfield

Does anyone have any idea where the satellite radio gets installed in the wagon with satellite prep?
Also Crutchfield sells a satellite receiver and adapter cable for use with OEM head units. Has anyone installed one of these?

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,879 Posts
If the car has satellite prep then all it needs is the software download. The dealer purchases an authorization key and does the download. It takes the better part of a day to do it. No new hardware is needed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cost

Thanks! Got any idea on the cost? Salesman had no clue about this. Otherwise, I might have already ordered the work.. Sort of late as I have plans to take delivery Monday morning.

·
Chairman of the Bored
3,284 Posts
I think the code key is $300 and some programming, my dealer quoted approx $350 total giving me a discount. You get 12 months free. BTW, I never contacted Sirius until my trial was about to end. I got my car on 9/30/10 but didn't try the sat radio until December, when I tried it it worked. My trial was good for 12 months from when I first used it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
hardware

My car is a 2009 328iX Touring (E91) without Nav. The service dept is telling the salesman that it requires a hardware module (receiver) costing around $700- rather than just software.:mad:

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,879 Posts
My car is a 2009 328iX Touring (E91) without Nav. The service dept is telling the salesman that it requires a hardware module (receiver) costing around $700- rather than just software.:mad:
If your car was not ordered with the sat prep I hate to say, they're probably right. I can't remember exactly when, but somewhere between 2009 - 2010 all BMW radios became prepared to be programmed for sat. radio.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Got any idea where the sat receiver would be installed in the wagon...if it was installed? In the sedan, it's below the trunk floor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
xm radio activation

If the car has satellite prep then all it needs is the software download. The dealer purchases an authorization key and does the download. It takes the better part of a day to do it. No new hardware is needed.
328i convertible 2011 has all hardware installed. Needs xm code installed $395, includes 1 year, BMW want 1 hour install time $180.
that is all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts