BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys and gals,

Fresh poster here. Owned a Z3 forever (still in the garage,a 98 2.8 with 46k miles) and hung out some on the old RoadFly Forums.

I just took delivery of a new 2009 335i Convertible. All I can say is I am blown away by this vehicle everytime I drive it. The choice had come down to the 335 or the Volvo C70, but I got a really great deal on the 335, and I just couldn't say no. I had gone to the dealer to look at the colors, and to give my specs, but it turns out they had one to my specs just up the road, and a deal was struck.

Anyway, it's the Monaco Blue with the saddle brown/black Dakota leather. Cold/Premium/Sport packages (I had decided against the M3 package, since the price/performance trade off didn't seem be there). Got the steptronic/heated steering wheel w/ paddles, comfort access, and iPod/USB adapter.

I didn't really specify the nav system,sat radio or the L7 audio, but the car otherwise met my specs, so I took the plunge. I had heard people hated the nav/iDrive system, but the system in the car seems reasonably intuitive to use, and I had my iPhone paired with the bluetooth and playing my audio library from the iphone in just a couple of minutes of fiddling with it.

Anyway, my question: As I said, I got the iPhone working in the car with a minimum of fuss. I can select/search for tracks on my iPhone using the iDrive system, and as I said, seems fairly intuitive....BUT, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the system to STOP playing a track....the best I can do is get it to play a different track. The iPhone is a 3G, with the latest firmware.

I do, on occasion, listen to songs/videos from YouTube, and if you have a track playing from the iPod library, the vid will output momentarily, but then revert to playing the iPod track over the USB.

I even tried playing a track in a category with only one song, figuring it would just stop when it got to the end, but nope...it will repeat the same song in a loop. Even if I unplug the iPhone and manually end the track so that nothing is playing, it same track will start playing (where it left off) when I plug the phone back in. I checked to make sure "repeat" wasn't selected on the iPhone.

The only work around I can find is to disconnect the phone, select AUX from the iDrive menu, plug the phone back in, then play the vids.

This is probably a simple menu selection somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find it. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Richman

PS It's a steep learning curve, and I am searching the forums for the answer....but I wanted to add that I am just using the USB/audio Y cable, and not the Smartphone integration thingy....

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Welcome! :hi:

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Depending on the manufacture date for the E93, you may need an update of the iDrive software. There have been some problems with the integration of iDrive and the iPod & USB interface since the latest updates to the iPhone O/S have been published. The recent pissing contest between Apple and Palm have had some collateral consequences, and your experience may be one of them. I won't be able to check the integration on the soon-to-be-mine 335d with iDrive and iPod & USB adapter until the car arrives at the dealer, so hopefully someone else can chime in. Or, you could check with the dealer to see if there is a software update available for your car.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Don't have IDrive/Navi and just use a simple 16GB thumb drive for my tunes (works great by the way -- and is totally dedicated to the car), but welcome from a fellow 'vert driver. Enjoy the ride!:hi:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hiya Nordic!

Thanks for the welcome. The grey was neck and neck with the blue, and then I saw the blue/brown combo. The grey/black combo is VERY sharp!

Best,
Richman

·
Registered
865 Posts
how do u connect usb drive to ur carZ?
You plug it in a USB port (if your car has it, that is). From that point on, it is all seamless as you see all the songs in your car's audio system.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Hiya Nordic!

Thanks for the welcome. The grey was neck and neck with the blue, and then I saw the blue/brown combo. The grey/black combo is VERY sharp!

Best,
Richman
It's actually Gray/Saddle brown but whose counting! Enjoy the bantering around here!:)

·
Registered
948 Posts
You plug it in a USB port (if your car has it, that is). From that point on, it is all seamless as you see all the songs in your car's audio system.
I would love that. But I doubt 3 series have it? Mine 07 335i has auxilliary only for ipod that sounds awful though.

Recently I had a loaner 335 sedan, I could transfer CDs onto the car suggesting there was a hard drive built in to my surprise! I would like to hear more from other owners and knowledgables!

·
Registered
865 Posts
I would love that. But I doubt 3 series have it? Mine 07 335i has auxilliary only for ipod that sounds awful though.

Recently I had a loaner 335 sedan, I could transfer CDs onto the car suggesting there was a hard drive built in to my surprise! I would like to hear more from other owners and knowledgables!
Yes, this is available in the 3 (and 1) series. The 6FL option includes both a USB and an AUX ports. They can be used together (with the help of a Y-cable) to control an iPod (or an iPhone), as well as separately - USB port for a memory stick (or a portable HDD), or AUX port - for any analog audio source.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Yes, this is available in the 3 (and 1) series. The 6FL option includes both a USB and an AUX ports. They can be used together (with the help of a Y-cable) to control an iPod (or an iPhone), as well as separately - USB port for a memory stick (or a portable HDD), or AUX port - for any analog audio source.
+1 Without I-Drive I just pop in my usb drive and it sync's to the radio controls see my song titles, sorts by artist - album- genre (all the good stuff)

Even allows playlists....

Very Handy!

·
Registered
948 Posts
+1 Without I-Drive I just pop in my usb drive and it sync's to the radio controls see my song titles, sorts by artist - album- genre (all the good stuff)

Even allows playlists....

Very Handy!
thats great! is it in central console? btw when did they start it? may be mine had it, i never noticed it! how about built in hard drive?

how does usb music sound?

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Congrats on the purchase of your E93, enjoy!! :)

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
thats great! is it in central console? btw when did they start it? may be mine had it, i never noticed it! how about built in hard drive?

I think it sounds much better than Sirius :D

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
OP -
1) congrats!
2) if I understand the question, you want to stop playing a track -- I just hit the off button on the center console (close to where the CD goes in). When I turn it back on, it picks up right where I left off.
I think I am misunderstanding your question though -- haven't tried playing video off my iphone.
3) a 98 Z3 with 46K miles??!!! wow!!

·
Registered
865 Posts

If you rip the songs at high bitrates, it will sound Ok, not any diffrerent than from any MP3 player. I always rip mine at 320 kbps.

Alternatively, you may want to try burning a CDR with MP3 files - just make sure not to do it in CDDA (Audio CD) format, though. Not sure about your version, but 2008+ Professional CD head units can play MP3 CDs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OP -
1) congrats!
2) if I understand the question, you want to stop playing a track -- I just hit the off button on the center console (close to where the CD goes in). When I turn it back on, it picks up right where I left off.
I think I am misunderstanding your question though -- haven't tried playing video off my iphone.
3) a 98 Z3 with 46K miles??!!! wow!!
Hi Kashrahman,

Thanks for the response.

Yep, I can mute it (it pauses the track). I can unplug it (picks up where it left off when I plug it back in). I can pause the track by switching to a different audio mode, but I can't get it to stop.

If I move it to the last track in a category (album, artist, etc), when it ends, it will cycle back to the beginning of the category. If there is only one track in the category, it will sit and repeat the same track endlessly.

Is there some kind of repeat mode? I know there is on the iPhone, but I made sure it was off.

Wierdness. And as long as there is a active track, you can't use the audio from the iphone for anything else (youtube, whatever).

Ahhh, my princess, the Z3. Yep...I bought her when I lived in Virginia, and right after that I got a job that had me move to Minneapolis. So I bought a POS used Subaru because MN dumps more salt on the road than just about anywhere else, so it was a garage queen for years and years.

I eventually moved to FL in 2002, and she still only had 10k miles on her. She still is in great shape, though....drivers seat is a bit worn. The rubber biscuits in the seats are blown, so they rock a bit. Some chips in the paint (the paint was notoriously weak that year). And I just lost the airbag sensor. She's only at the 3rd oil change, and has never seen Inspection II. The top is in good shape, and the back window is almost as clear as the day I bought it (I use the protective cloth every time, and I also have the hardtop that I use in the summer).

Now that I'm ready to dump the Subaru, and I have the 335, she can go in for some TLC.

Best,
Richman

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hi Kashrahman,

...Wierdness. And as long as there is a active track, you can't use the audio from the iphone for anything else (youtube, whatever)....
Yes, you can - just use a 1/8" stereo cable to connect the iPhone to the the AUX port - and voila! Car's head unit controls would be useless for Pandora and such anyway. The iPod integration cable uses AUX for audio as well, so the sound will not be any different.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts