·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got 2008 335xi sedan:

Sparkling Graphite Metallic, Black Dakota Leather
Premium, Cold Weather, Sport, iPod

Really love driving it. Incredibly powerful. :thumbup:

Thanks to those here for advice on the deal. :)

Everything is perfect but there are two small things that I think would make it even extra special. Please let me know if you have suggestions:

1. When I press the button to start the engine a chime sounds. I want to customize this sound and change it to the Apple startup chime (i.e. the sound you hear when you startup your Mac).

2. I recently bought a Garmin Nüvi 260W. Works perfectly. The wide screen is amazing. From the Garmin website, I downloaded a bunch of new voices (for example, Mandarin chinese, Austarlian, etc.) and custom vehicles (e.g. race car, pizza slice, ambulance, etc.). Has anyone made or found nice BMW vehicle icons for use on the Nüvi? Would be great to have a slick 335xi on my nüvi display.

·
Registered
311 Posts
1. When I press the button to start the engine a chime sounds. I want to customize this sound and change it to the Apple startup chime (i.e. the sound you hear when you startup your Mac).
That would kick ass.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did I read that right? You want the apple startup sound when you turn on your 335xi? :confused:
Yes. You have to admit that there are few things in life as exhilarating as turning on a new Mac and hearing the signature startup chime. Would be really cool to hear this whenever I start my car. Would also impress my friends and colleagues.

Anyone know if this type of modification is do-able?

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Why would you want an Apple startup chime on an automobile? :confused: It's not an appliance.

I want NO start up chime, like on European models. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Hmmm. That is an odd request. I don't believe it is like a cell phone where you can change the chime or ring tone. However, perhaps there is a way to disable it and hear nothing upon startup.

Or perhaps you could put a twin turbo in your Mac and drive it down the road? :rofl:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm. That is an odd request. I don't believe it is like a cell phone where you can change the chime or ring tone. However, perhaps there is a way to disable it and hear nothing upon startup.

Or perhaps you could put a twin turbo in your Mac and drive it down the road? :rofl:

2008 335i E92 Debadged (Delivered: 4/24/08) | Space Gray | Black Dakota Leather | Gray Poplar | Prem Pkg | Sport Pkg | Comfort Access | Nav | Step Trans | Paddle Shifters | Heated Front Seats | Rear Power Sunshade | Sirius |
Ha! I'm sure Steve Jobs is working on something along those lines (e.g. Macbook Auto G5).

BTW, I noticed that you debadged your 335i. How did you do this? Does it look nice? I've been reading a bit about this on Bimmerfest and other sites and I decided that I want to do a variation of this modification on my new 335xi:

I don't want to remove the "335xi" completely, but rather replace the "5" with a "6", so it will read "336xi".

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Are you serious? :rofl: No this is not possible.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I actually have a third request for a modification that is even odder than that. But I'll wait until I can figure out how to do the Apple sound and the custom nüvi vehicle icons before asking about the third thing.
I don't know about the Nuvi thing, but you're going to be waiting a long time if you think you're going to change that chime.

You can remove you badge pretty easily using dental floss. But 336? You've got to be kidding.

BTW - Steve Jobs is the reason I hate Apple!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know about the Nuvi thing, but you're going to be waiting a long time if you think you're going to change that chime.
Bummer. But, there is an active partnership between Apple and BMW (iPod connectivity, etc.) so if there is enough interest in this type of thing, perhaps it will be introduced as a package or option (for example, Apple tech package).

You can remove you badge pretty easily using dental floss. But 336? You've got to be kidding.
I'm definitely not kidding. But once I remove the 5 from the 335xi badge, where can I get a matching 6 and what's the best glue to mount it with?

BTW - Steve Jobs is the reason I hate Apple!
Steve Jobs is great.

·
BMW Genius @ BMW Portland
2,198 Posts
I'm definitely not kidding. But once I remove the 5 from the 335xi badge, where can I get a matching 6 and what's the best glue to mount it with?.
why would you want to do that? dont be like BJ and have a 428i :tsk:

i think people would just laugh at you if you did that.

edit: i do have to agree with you on the Mac thing. I love my mac and iphone. go steve!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Ha! I'm sure Steve Jobs is working on something along those lines (e.g. Macbook Auto G5).

BTW, I noticed that you debadged your 335i. How did you do this? Does it look nice? I've been reading a bit about this on Bimmerfest and other sites and I decided that I want to do a variation of this modification on my new 335xi:

I don't want to remove the "335xi" completely, but rather replace the "5" with a "6", so it will read "336xi".
I love the looks of my rear end without the 335i on it. I feel that it looks a lot cleaner and symmetrical with only the Roundel in the center.

When the car is new, the numbers/letters come off very easily. I just used some dental floss and "flossed" them off. It was extremely simple........sometimes I think it is harder to get between a couple of my teeth!!

Anyway, it required no clean up at all. Even the adhesive came off with the badge.

I definitely recommend the look.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Here's my rationale: Everyone knows that 335s are better than 328s; I want to send the subtle message that my 336xi is one better than everyone else's 335xi.
Are you related to BJ? :tsk:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Are you related to BJ? :tsk:
I've always thought it would be awesome to spell "1337" on the back. Now that we have the 1-series here, it should be easier to get that 1. Anybody willing to sell me debadged numbers from their 1-series or 7-series?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.