BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just turned in a 2013 328i xDrive that had the best transmission I've ever driven. It just worked really well. Quick but gentle shifts (in comfort or sport, regardless of acceleration rate) and always had that extra headroom to speed up a bit with out having to down shift.

Now with my 340i xDrive, now with about 600 miles on it, I can;t seem to replicate that feeling at all. Worst of it, when I put it into Sport or Sport+ and use the paddles or floor shift, it really "clunks" when accelerating with any kind of speed. And I am not flooring it by any stretch. I don't know if I am doing something wrong, or what, but so far I am pretty disappointed with how it performs compared to the 328 I had.

Any ideas?

·
Captain Crunch
164 Posts
Did you have the sport transmission in your 328xi? In sport mode the 340i wants to shift as quickly as possible so if you put it in sport mode the little 'clunk' or the feel between the shifts are normal. Its an attempt to replicate a DCT with shifts less than .5s. You can verify that its sport mode doing this instead of comfort by paying attention to the shifts for the gears t the same RPMs in the different settings.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I believe so. (Move shifter to left?).

I definitely expect that to a degree, but it doesn't feel like a good solid drop, it feel more like an accident than intentional, if that makes any sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
former motorcycle rider
766 Posts
I'm going to suggest that since the 340 has a lot more torque than the 328, that makes the rapid "sport" shifts more abrupt in the 6 cylinder.

My current car is my first BMW since my E38 that has an automatic. It shifts very smoothly in normal mode, but like yours, the "sport mode shifts" or paddle shifts are very abrupt.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, definitely think that, too. I am bringing it to the dealer Friday just to take it out with a technician and get it on the record so in case there is a malfunction down the road, I can at least point to bringing it to their attention.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My experience is that you need to "mash the gas" and let the car shift at high RPM. The horrifying clunks turn into satisfying bumps....

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
In sport mode with the shifter in S it's normal, or using the paddles. It is just a really quick shift. I6 and the diesel with their massive torque do it more than the 28is I have driven with the sport auto.

·
Registered
146 Posts
In sport mode with the shifter in S it's normal, or using the paddles. It is just a really quick shift. I6 and the diesel with their massive torque do it more than the 28is I have driven with the sport auto.
Massive torque :rofl:
Its 280ft/lb hardly qualifies as massive torque. Pound for pound it will crush any NA 4cyl but other than that it's a powerplant designed for efficiency not performance.

The 6.7L powerstroke OTOH has massive torque at 660ft/lb @ 1600rpm:yikes: Properly equipped it will pull just about anything that can be towed.

Re: sport setting and drive comfort. If you want a smooth shift run it in comfort mode. If you drive softly in Sport mode it is not likely to be a fun or rewarding experience.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What does a 6.7 L powerstroke and it's towing capacity have to do with this conversation? He was making a comparison and explaining why the difference is there.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What does a 6.7 L powerstroke and it's towing capacity have to do with this conversation? He was making a comparison and explaining why the difference is there.

Giving an example of an engine that actually does have massive torque.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a quick update. It seems to have mellowed a bit on the shifts. Feels much better. I did do the reset and it made a significant difference. That was a while ago and it seems to be good now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts