BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!!

We were delivered a 2017 X5 40e on Dec 21. It has been in service 3 days since delivery and in the shop for almost three weeks. We received multiple drivetrain error/consult service errors. They first tightened a ground wire to the EME and then eventually replaced the EME.

They are still searching for potential bad ground connections with no luck resolving the issue.

So before I insist that the car be returned, anyone seen this before? They have been in touch with BMW corporate. It may be that they are searching for a needle in a haystack.

Don't really want to fight electrical problems for the next three years.

How problematic are the 40e? It should be the perfect solution to my wife's mostly in town driving.

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have had xdrive 40e since April. While it doesn't charge correctly (covered in another thread), all else has been OK (knock on wood...). According to BMW dealer, software fix for level 2 charging issue is due in 2 months.

Hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Help!!

We were delivered a 2017 X5 40e on Dec 21. It has been in service 3 days since delivery and in the shop for almost three weeks. We received multiple drivetrain error/consult service errors. They first tightened a ground wire to the EME and then eventually replaced the EME.

They are still searching for potential bad ground connections with no luck resolving the issue.

So before I insist that the car be returned, anyone seen this before? They have been in touch with BMW corporate. It may be that they are searching for a needle in a haystack.

Don't really want to fight electrical problems for the next three years.

How problematic are the 40e? It should be the perfect solution to my wife's mostly in town driving.

Thanks,

Andrew
I had electrical problems with my first 2016 X5 35i gas model (made in Dec. of 2015 and purchased jan 27 of 2016). Randomly, the lighting modules and such would not work (turn signals etc would randomly not work).

Car was in the shop 5 different times for this problem and spent over 30 days in service (in the shop). I worked with BMW to basically swap this car on my lease, so now we have a 2016 X5D. The X5D has been rock solid with no issues.

I figured there must have been a cut wire somewhere, because the dealer had replaced all sorts of modules on the x5 35i and the problems still randomly came back.

I contacted BMW NA even though the dealer was working on it, because I had lost confidence in the problem being fixed even though the dealer was great at giving my wife a loaner and working on it.

There is a thread about it somewhere here on bimmerfest, including advice from others on how to go about the substitution of collateral request I made.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Going in tomorrow to talk with managers about ordering a replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
236 Posts
That is not normal for any car or product. Especially because the hybrid drive has extra computers and wires and other electronics, I would insist on a replacement vehicle under warranty.

Look at the federal and your state's Lemon Law. What are the terms of BMW's obligations to fix the defect? As the owner, what are your obligations to notify and document the defect? Time to start papering the file and let BMW know you're thinking this falls under the Lemon Law. That will light a fire under them because they may be liable for refunding you for the car and all incidental costs, including all your attorney's fees.

Look at jjrandorin's experience. Is BMW involved yet? The dealership can only do so much. Insist that the BMW regional representative be brought in. For that matter it wouldn't hurt to directly contact BMW USA in Woodcliff Lake, NJ. In my experience, you have to beat the bushes until you get to the person authorized to give you what you want.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Going in tomorrow to talk with managers about ordering a replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
There are two ways to basically handle this (well 3 actually):

1. Work only with the dealership, and have the dealership escalate on your behalf to BMW NA for a trade assist / substitution of collateral

2. Contact BMW NA yourself to make sure you have someone assigned to your issue, and that person will contact your dealership and make a determination on substitution of collateral

3. Go directly to the lemon law process in your state if you qualify and work to get the vehicle replaced.

Option 3 is the most aggressive, and once you start lemon law proceedings (official lemon law), BMW will stop trying to "help" you and only work on it via the legal process. For that reason I attempted to avoid option 3 and decided I would only do that if the other options failed.

I got advice from this board to do option 2... even though I liked the dealership and did not feel they were "failing"... just that the problem was hard to diagnose. I decided to contact BMW NA directly and make a complaint, even while the dealership was working on the issue. I never really got an update from BMW NA, but the sales manager at the dealership I was working with worked directly with them and got it taken care of for me.

Over the process I developed a great relationship with him, as he and that dealership were not the people I purchased from but will likely purchase from in the future.

·
Bimmerless
BMW G05 45e/Porsche Macan GTS/Ram 1500 Diesel
1,104 Posts
There are two ways to basically handle this (well 3 actually):

1. Work only with the dealership, and have the dealership escalate on your behalf to BMW NA for a trade assist / substitution of collateral

2. Contact BMW NA yourself to make sure you have someone assigned to your issue, and that person will contact your dealership and make a determination on substitution of collateral

3. Go directly to the lemon law process in your state if you qualify and work to get the vehicle replaced.
A fourth option - if you are a BMW CCA member - would be to enlist assistance from an ombudsmen. They can engage BMW NA on your behalf and often carry a little extra weight due to their relationship with the CCA. This might be worthwhile if BMA NA is pushing back on your request to get the vehicle replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hybrid Power Issues

I also have similar issues with my X5 40e. Purchased July 2016 - all went well for 3500 miles. Then in early December went into shop with the following errors: Engine light, Charging Malfunction, Drive train malfunction and my personal favorite " Do not turn off engine, engine restart will not be possible" The BMW service center at my dealer said it was only a software problem. They updated the software and then we went to pick up the car- of course it was not fixed - in fact the engine light was still on. They then said OK - we don't know what the problem is but maybe its the hybrid unit - they apparently took as much of the hybrid system apart that they could readily touch and put it back together. After 5 days they said "it's fixed" We started the car at the dealer and the engine light was STILL on! Now they finally called BMW USA for advice - they stated that they think it might be the hybrid control unit which apparently is located under the hybrid batteries. However they really had no idea if this would fix the problem They then proceeded to tell me they did not have any of these in stock - in fact they did not have any tools to even remove the unit - apparently they need special tools to remove the hybrid batteries. After 32 days they finally said - we think it is fixed. The car was returned to us 1 week ago in mid January. After 1 week of driving the car appears to be OK. We discussed compensation with BMW USA. They send a lovely "General release form" which essentially gives us one free month of payments - however if we signed (AND NOTARIZED) this document they essentially eliminate any future liability they have regarding this repair. This is not a good faith action by BMW and based on our experience we will never purchase another BMW again.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update on 40e problems

Dealer and BMW agreed first of last week to order another car and substitute collateral on the lease. Take about 3/4 weeks for new car to get here. No discussion and no problem.

Two days later, the service dept called and said they found the problem. Bad ground wire, which was in one of the battery modules. I'll check this out further. They said take the car, drive for a while and let them know what we wanted to do.

So far so good. Wife has make lots of short trips running round town, multiple charges, and we don't have any issue. She is very happy to have her new car back.

I'm going to give it a couple of more days and hope all is well and then move on.

Dealership has made every effort to keep us happy.

·
Registered
236 Posts
After 32 days they finally said - we think it is fixed. The car was returned to us 1 week ago in mid January. After 1 week of driving the car appears to be OK. We discussed compensation with BMW USA. They send a lovely "General release form" which essentially gives us one free month of payments - however if we signed (AND NOTARIZED) this document they essentially eliminate any future liability they have regarding this repair. This is not a good faith action by BMW and based on our experience we will never purchase another BMW again.
Know your rights and I would recommend not signing anything that waives your rights. There may be a potential claim now or in the future.

http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/News/Brochures/Lemon-Law-Road-to-Relief-Brochure.pdf

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So far, they haven't asked for a signature on anything.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
So far, they haven't asked for a signature on anything.
If you continue with the substitution of collateral, you would sign paperwork basically giving that car back to BMW and taking the other one... similar to if you traded a car in.

BMW FS handles the substitution of collateral process but there is only a couple people there who do it, so it can take a bit. You actually continue making payments on the old account until they do it, then the new car just appears on the same contract.

You get the same RV number, same payment same mileage everything (so even if you drove your original car 3-4k miles, then did a substitution of collateral, the new car still has the full amount of mileage you had on the original contract.

In my case, it almost means I HAVE to keep the new car, since the car we ordered had like 3-4k more options than the one we turned in, yet the payment, residual etc are all the same, so those options are basically "free".

In my case, I feel BMW (and the dealership) really took care of me, and I am a happy camper (like aherman535).

Substitution of collateral works on a lease since BMW FS owns the car. On a purchase they need to buy it back, so its a little more complicated. For the other poster, I would push to get swapped out of that car with all the time in service it has seen.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I took delivery of my X5 40e at the PCD yesterday.

While driving today, after sunset I noticed that the back lighting on all of the switches (everything on the wheel, and those on the center console) wasn't working. The shifter was though. Even on the center control panel, there was no back lighting, but if something was pressed it lit.

After I arrived in Shreveport tonight, I played around with it. When I manually turn the lights on, the back lighting works, but not if it is switched to auto.

Is this something to have checked out, or something I'll need to live with?

Also, the electric charging door randomly opened twice; once last night (I figured maybe it wasn't fully closed after I left the PCD, they charged it and showed me how to). The other time was tonight; I was getting back in the vehicle after getting gas and saw the error so jumped out and closed it. I definitely had not opened it this time (and the fuel door was fully closed).
I'll keep an eye for it opening again, but has anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
2 Posts
BMW X5 40e Drivetrain issue - stopping

We received our 2017 X5 40e in November 2016 and experienced the same issue TWICE. The car just stopped in the middle of the road in ELECTRICAL mode with a DRIVETRAIN error requesting to call roadside assistance. The car was at the BMW dealer over Christmas and has to go back tomorrow again. So far we have about 2,500km on it. Please keep us posted how you solved your issue and I will share what BMW does for us here in Canada. I attached a picture of the error message we are seeing.

Thank You
BMWFahrer

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
We received our 2017 X5 40e in November 2016 and experienced the same issue TWICE. The car just stopped in the middle of the road in ELECTRICAL mode with a DRIVETRAIN error requesting to call roadside assistance. The car was at the BMW dealer over Christmas and has to go back tomorrow again. So far we have about 2,500km on it. Please keep us posted how you solved your issue and I will share what BMW does for us here in Canada. I attached a picture of the error message we are seeing.

Thank You
BMWFahrer
We received our 2017 x5 40e, also in Toronto. We had a check engine light and it turned out to be low battery voltage. But I had the same issue as yours come up on my 328i. BMW is not sure what is wrong at the moment and ETA is approx 1 month for the repair. I'll keep things updated. I know this is a x5 section but exact same thing happened with mine (328i).
I wonder if substitution of collateral also applies in Canada.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Thank You
BMWFahrer
Any update on your issue? Curious to know how BMW Canada deals with these cases.

·
Registered
3 Posts
X540E major battery malfunction on Highway

We are halfway through our 3 year 36,000 mile lease of our X540E. Checked the car out thoroughly before taking a 3 hour trip down to Monterey, CA. All of the car's systems noted the car was ifine. With no warning the car malfunctioned in the middle of the highway slowing down to a standstill. Major battery malfunction warning. In busy traffic I was just able to make it to the side of the road. Could have been a disaster. BMW roadside assistance hooked us in with a BMW "tech expert" who advised that it sounded like a malfunction of the "super battery". BMW tow truck contractor who picked the car up advised me that he is picking up a large number of BMW's and Mercedes with electrical problems.
Not happy to be paying for a new premium luxury car which will quit with no warning on a highway.
Anyone having similar problems? Thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
I haven't had drivetrain problems, but the nav unit in our 40e has started randomly rebooting. It's been in the shop twice, most recently for 3 weeks while they tried to replicate to no avail. As soon as I got it back today it rebooted twice in the first hour. Sometimes it completely erases all the stored settings in the car, presets, seat memory... Everything.

It's fun. The wife is really happy about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but has anyone else been experiencing drivetrain issues with the 40e? Has anyone successfully worked with the dealer or BMW NA in getting a replacement vehicle or buyback?

For the OP, did you ever get the issues resolved?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts