BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
BMW put in a rebuilt engine but would do no more. Our lease ends In December so I have not pursued it further but I might have if I owned the car.

The irony is that overall it has been a great car --but it seems to have this major flaw and BMW is not confessing up to it. It is potentially dangerous.

Our current plan is to lease the new version of this car when released late this year or next--hopefully they will have worked out this issue with the 2nd generation model.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It took a while, but they found a loose wire going in to the computer. Once repaired, there hasn't been a problem. Took about 1 month to solve.

They did offer to swap out the vehicle with a new one, but it was fixed before the new was ordered.

Been about 1.5 years and wife loves the 40e. She only fills up about every 6 weeks. runs 700-1000 miles on a tank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Know this is an old topic, but any updates on this? I am expereincing the same issue. I bougth an 2017 X5 40e in Feb 2020 with only 22k miles, had a for a week and then had a drive train malfunction. Its been at the dealership since end of Feb- going on 9 weeks now. They gave the car back to me once and the error returned so I turned around and went right back to the dealership. They've been working with BMW NA and have replaced ground wires, a control module and now their latest attempt is to open up each of the wire harnasses and redo the tensions to each wire. (sorry not that mechanically inclined, just repeating what SA told me).

I did some digging and turns out the car was brought in a couple of times for the same issue by the prior owner.
I had called BMW NA to repurchase/replace the vehicle as its was under warranty and had that history and also that the issue was still not resolved, but only to get turned down and was told to go work with the local dealer to fix it.

Reading the post, the drivetrain malfunction error seems pretty common and would've though BMW would have a fix for it by now.

Any thoughts or your feebdack would be helpful!

Thanks and stay safe out there!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Know this is an old topic, but any updates on this? I am expereincing the same issue. I bougth an 2017 X5 40e in Feb 2020 with only 22k miles, had a for a week and then had a drive train malfunction. Its been at the dealership since end of Feb- going on 9 weeks now. They gave the car back to me once and the error returned so I turned around and went right back to the dealership. They've been working with BMW NA and have replaced ground wires, a control module and now their latest attempt is to open up each of the wire harnasses and redo the tensions to each wire. (sorry not that mechanically inclined, just repeating what SA told me).

I did some digging and turns out the car was brought in a couple of times for the same issue by the prior owner.
I had called BMW NA to repurchase/replace the vehicle as its was under warranty and had that history and also that the issue was still not resolved, but only to get turned down and was told to go work with the local dealer to fix it.

Reading the post, the drivetrain malfunction error seems pretty common and would've though BMW would have a fix for it by now.

Any thoughts or your feebdack would be helpful!

Thanks and stay safe out there!
I just bought a 2017 X5 40e with 31000 miles on it. I had it 1 week and had 2 drivetrain errors. I am getting the car looked at today. I will let you know what happens. My Lexus and Toyotas never did this...but they don't drive like a BMW either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2017 X5 40e with 31000 miles on it. I had it 1 week and had 2 drivetrain errors. I am getting the car looked at today. I will let you know what happens. My Lexus and Toyotas never did this...but they don't drive like a BMW either.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts