BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made the decision to buy a 2008 535. Car came with Sport, Prem,.Cold Weather w/ fold down rear seats, Paddle shifters, PDC, Comfort Acc., I-pod and sirius capability, no Nav. 48k miles w/ maintenance remaining. Space Gray/Black. Very nice condition. Paid $29,995.
So far really like the feel of the car. I had a 2007 550i for a couple of years. I really think this car "feels" right. The 550 was a great car, but always felt a bit heavy. The seller (small specialty dealer) replaced the rear RF w/ non-runflats, but kept the Dunlap RF on the front. So far feels okay as is.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Congrats now time to mod, first on list should be ecu upgrade.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Not sure I will mod too soon, but what will the ECU upgrade do in terms of HP, and how costly.
$500 - $800 dollars, depending on the route you go and you can expect about 40-60hp gains. It is the easiest and most cost effective approach you can possibly do. Once you do that, your car will seriously be transformed. I would recommend either the Cobb or JB4.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I recommend you stop by BMW and have them run the VIN for any campaigns or recalls. I bought mine with 60,000 and it had brand new fuel pump and injectors installed before i took possession. Same for my wife's wagon which I picked up in May.

PS, the Burger JB+ pig tail tune is $279. It adds almost 5 psi to your stock turbo boost of around 7 psi. Good for 60 wheel hp and 80 lb/ft torque. It will make your 550 feel like a hog on the road, trust me. It's a good intro step if you have any concerns about messing with the ECU. It works by lowering the real turbo boost value so the car overcompensates. Totally simple and effective design. I have it on our wagon and it rocks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
will do

Thanks Ocean for the recommendation to stop by BMW, I did call my local shop to run VIN before purchase. The SA seemed less than enthusiastic to help out and provided little info other than some basic maintenance on the car. I'll call again now that I have possession of the car.

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
Thanks Ocean for the recommendation to stop by BMW, I did call my local shop to run VIN before purchase. The SA seemed less than enthusiastic to help out and provided little info other than some basic maintenance on the car. I'll call again now that I have possession of the car.
There is a recall on the HPFP, so make sure it was done.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I put in the JB4 and love it! The car was nice before but it is now dreamy. Check out Burgertuning.com the support there is awesome.

·
Registered
676 Posts
On the JB4. Can you install on a 535i with premium pkg only....with basically all stock OEM parts? Will this void my CPO warranty?
You can definitely install it. With any tune (even Dinan), it will void parts of your warranty if found. However, Dinan warranties it outside of the BMW warranty. With JB4, Cobb or any other tune, removing it before service is always a good idea. The JB4 requires you wire (for install) and unwire it into the ECU. Cobb is a flash tune and done thru the OBDII port. Neither will leave traces once uninstalled.

There are thousands of cars safely running these tunes and they are both very well known within the modding community.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The JB4 installs inside the ECU box which takes a little work to get to, maybe an hour when you haven't done it before. It is therefore unlikely anyone will ever look for it.
BMW generally frowns on after market tuning and may refuse to honor the CPO. Hence most users make sure it is hidden or take it out before going in for warranty work, as a precaution.
The JB4 has 2 nice advantages. It auto deletes any codes that may reveal its existence, and you can turn it off by pushing the steering wheel buttons. Takes 2 seconds, same to reactivate.

You will be amazed at the difference in power delivery. There is especially a lot more torque even from 1,500 rpms, so normal driving is effortless, like going from 30 to 60mph. You just tap the pedal slightly. It is quiet, smooth and composed. Very easy to hit triple digits on the highway. At 100 mph the car is turning 3,000 rpms and feels like a stroll in the park. I hit 145 on an open stretch, then it shifted into 6th! The 535 engine and JB4 are a perfect match up.

·
2008 535i
75 Posts
Thanks guys. I have been looking into a mod for my car.....but have been having some issues with the starter and other little things. Only had the car for 2 weeks and already been in the shop for 7 days! I was thinking the Cobb tune because of its ease and simplicity....I am not too sure that I can handle the JB ECU wiring and such.....not the most technical guy in the world. I regret not getting the Sport Package on my car now.....I don't know if my little 17" wheels can handle a tune. Even though all of the little issues......I still love the way that TT drives. I got smoked by a new MB CL AMG (with dealer plates at that) today......and I made up my mind to get some more power under the hood.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thanks guys. I have been looking into a mod for my car.....but have been having some issues with the starter and other little things. Only had the car for 2 weeks and already been in the shop for 7 days! I was thinking the Cobb tune because of its ease and simplicity....I am not too sure that I can handle the JB ECU wiring and such.....not the most technical guy in the world. I regret not getting the Sport Package on my car now.....I don't know if my little 17" wheels can handle a tune. Even though all of the little issues......I still love the way that TT drives. I got smoked by a new MB CL AMG (with dealer plates at that) today......and I made up my mind to get some more power under the hood.
Echo, I have a 535 non-sport. On stg 1 (Cobb) you won't have any issues unless you are on wet roads (or do something silly like floor it around a sharp turn). When I got to stg 2 + (which requires bolt ons), then you start having traction issues in first on dry pavement.

If you end up going Cobb, let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Dude, you'll need to go a bit beyond an ECU tune to smoke an AMG. The 535 can do it, and not for that much money, but it requires some bolt on mods.
Look into 19/20" tires and rims. You will love it in LA.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Dude, you'll need to go a bit beyond an ECU tune to smoke an AMG. The 535 can do it, and not for that much money, but it requires some bolt on mods.
Look into 19/20" tires and rims. You will love it in LA.
Depending on what kind of CL AMG it was you will need a hell of a lot more than bolt ons.

As for the wheels, while 17 inchers are kind of small, I think that tires make the biggest difference. I just had good tires put on my car (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus) and now the car (even without the real sports package), handles like a dream. Since you don't have an Xi, you could get lowering springs, the Dinan suspension or coil overs to improve the handling.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Depending on what kind of CL AMG it was you will need a hell of a lot more than bolt ons.
On my setup I can run a 12.7 1/4 and 0-60 in 4.3. With a few little tweaks I should get that time down to 12.3/12.4 but, even then, most of the CL's would still win out. Not bad for a 6 cyl pig though. :)

In other words - if your goal is to beat him, you will likely need a boosted M5. The 535 is awesome, just a completely different class of car to the CL AMG's.

·
2008 535i
75 Posts
Maybe the CL AMG is a little out of reach. I kind of thought so......he was going up hill and it didn't look like he was even gunning it all the way. I will definitely upgrade the tires and suspension once I get the tune. Thanks for all of the advice.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Echo,

Go to N54tech.com and you will see tons of discussions on how to tune and mod the 535 engine.

The path is ECU flash tune (JB4 or Cobb usually($500-800)), Dual Cone Intake ($100), Downpipes ($1,000), larger intercooler ($800), race exhaust ($1,000) meth kit (pump, elbow, nozzle, regulator($900)), larger turbos ($2-3k I think). All these mods will yield a combined 470 hp at the wheels and 530 lb torque. Add roughly 20% to that and you will have crank power figures that are comparable to the big AMG turbo engine.
Without the larger turbos you will have similar hp to an E60 M5 and a ridiculous amount of torque. Biggest bang for the buck is the ECU tune and meth.

BMW tweaks the ECU themselves and release more powerful X35 engines for the 1M and 335is for example. It is totally safe to play with the engine's true potential. Once you take the first step you wonder why the car wasn't marketed that way, it just feels so natural and smooth.

·
2008 535i
75 Posts
Echo,

Go to N54tech.com and you will see tons of discussions on how to tune and mod the 535 engine.

The path is ECU flash tune (JB4 or Cobb usually($500-800)), Dual Cone Intake ($100), Downpipes ($1,000), larger intercooler ($800), race exhaust ($1,000) meth kit (pump, elbow, nozzle, regulator($900)), larger turbos ($2-3k I think). All these mods will yield a combined 470 hp at the wheels and 530 lb torque. Add roughly 20% to that and you will have crank power figures that are comparable to the big AMG turbo engine.
Without the larger turbos you will have similar hp to an E60 M5 and a ridiculous amount of torque. Biggest bang for the buck is the ECU tune and meth.

BMW tweaks the ECU themselves and release more powerful X35 engines for the 1M and 335is for example. It is totally safe to play with the engine's true potential. Once you take the first step you wonder why the car wasn't marketed that way, it just feels so natural and smooth.
Thanks. I think I will start with the Cobb first. Then work my way up. Now if I could only get me car out of the darn shop long enough to do some mods to it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.