Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I think this is the new 540e, but it seems to lack the badging high on the c-pillar earlier shots were showing. The little charging port was behind the front driver's wheel as can be seen in the last photo. Seems like the tester also needed to pick up some things from Lowe's when I did. There are enough testers you see around here from time to time, but I haven't seen a 5'er out here before. I do like the new headlight style they'll be having but really it looks like very little has been updated for this facelift.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
481 Posts
Badging was dropped in MY2020.

That looks like the LCI 530e to me, but I could be wrong.... I wonder if the US will see the 545e or not. Seems like it will be a very hard sell here.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Badging was dropped in MY2020.

That looks like the LCI 530e to me, but I could be wrong.... I wonder if the US will see the 545e or not. Seems like it will be a very hard sell here.
Ah, 545e, maybe! or 530e, no idea, no way to know! At least no way I know.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Funny how if BMW removed the camo and "hybrid test vehicle" stickers, I bet no one would even take notice...the camo and stickers make it stand out like a sore thumb!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny how if BMW removed the camo and "hybrid test vehicle" stickers, I bet no one would even take notice...the camo and stickers make it stand out like a sore thumb!
What gets me is they camo'd the 4 square inches of wheel vent!

·
Registered
7,318 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Funny how if BMW removed the camo and "hybrid test vehicle" stickers, I bet no one would even take notice
Those may be to inform first responders. You don't wanna hit that orange wire with hydraulic "jaws of life" extraction tools. Firefighters get killed like that. Just as importantly, the occupants might die while firefighters try to figure out what the hell the weird mangled car is with all the extra sensors, laptops, and cables. They'll regard the tangled mess as a threat until they understand what it is. Those stickers might speed up comprehension, and thus speed up help.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
481 Posts
Those may be to inform first responders. You don't wanna hit that orange wire with hydraulic "jaws of life" extraction tools. Firefighters get killed like that. Just as importantly, the occupants might die while firefighters try to figure out what the hell the weird mangled car is with all the extra sensors, laptops, and cables. They'll regard the tangled mess as a threat until they understand what it is. Those stickers might speed up comprehension, and thus speed up help.
Mercedes made a good innovation on that front with their Rescue Sticker. My MY2020 has no markings to let you know it is a PHEV at all. You would have to recognize the front charger slot or know what a "530e" is.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Should be no different than any other 530e in that regard...they don't have stickers plastered all over them on the outside.

·
Registered
733 Posts
...any other 530e... don't have stickers plastered all over them on the outside.
Right. Which is precisely the reason that, here in Massachusetts, you can get an EV plate without the (ripoff) "vanity plate" annual fee:

"Massachusetts is the second state in the U.S. to offer the plate to drivers. MassDOT...designed a unique license plate that will help emergency responders quickly identify electric/hybrid vehicles, which require the use of special safety techniques.

***8220;Public safety officials are studying how to immobilize and power down electric and hybrid vehicles, how to approach an EV fire and also learning new extrication procedures,***8221; said MassDOT Secretary Davey. ***8220;They must be able to recognize the vehicle as an EV vehicle. The availability of this plate helps assure quick identification.***8221;

https://blog.mass.gov/transportation/rmv/rmv-electric-vehicle-plate/

Look, you raise a good point. From what I understand, first responders are now simply getting trained that all vehicles are guilty until proven innocent. Lots of vehicles are starting to blend the line anyway between true hybrid and efficient dynamics (e.g., the Dodge eBoost thing).

I'm just saying there's only one group who'd really need to grok such obvious stickers in a hurry. So they might be a courtesy to that group.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts