BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here but no stranger to forums, I was wondering if someone could give me a price range on what the new ZF transmission costs to purchase in whole from the dealer/through BMW? The dealer I tried won't get back to me, and I want to make sure I got a fair price, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out? Thanks.

· Registered
1,984 Posts

· Registered
1,948 Posts
The zf 6 spd also works with the n55

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

· Registered
1,948 Posts
Ya, I thought it had a slower shift time though?
You will never notice. You could also probably find a used one.

Here's a blurb on the zf 6 spd
The new six-speed STEPTRONIC automatic uses an innovative torque converter and enhanced management software to improve shifting responsiveness. The response time of the automatic transmission on the new BMW 3 Series Coupe is down by approximately 40 per cent compared with a conventional automatic transmission. While fast, responsive gear changes can make driving more fun, the optimized selection of the appropriate gear for all driving conditions helps to reduce fuel consumption. This new automatic is a textbook example of BMW's pursuit of Efficient Dynamics.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You will never notice. You could also probably find a used one.

Here's a blurb on the zf 6 spd
The new six-speed STEPTRONIC automatic uses an innovative torque converter and enhanced management software to improve shifting responsiveness. The response time of the automatic transmission on the new BMW 3 Series Coupe is down by approximately 40 per cent compared with a conventional automatic transmission. While fast, responsive gear changes can make driving more fun, the optimized selection of the appropriate gear for all driving conditions helps to reduce fuel consumption. This new automatic is a textbook example of BMW's pursuit of Efficient Dynamics.

I heard the ZF8 made 200 millisecond shifts in it's latest iteration, pretty tough to beat, that's only 100 behind a 458! :O

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The trans from the 135i looks good, thank you too
I considered the Getrag unit, but decided the difference in shift times wasn't going to be noticeable, and I really do enjoy the idea of an 8-speed auto, from what I've experienced it will wipe the floor with certain dual clutch units even!

· Registered
788 Posts
The trans from the 135i is the Getrag, also used on the 335is. It depends on what you're looking for but from a pure performance standpoint, it's better then the ZF8HP, 8ms shift times with the pre-engaged gear.

· Registered
1,948 Posts
I heard the ZF8 made 200 millisecond shifts in it's latest iteration, pretty tough to beat, that's only 100 behind a 458! :O
You have no idea and need to do some more homework. Lexus ISF can do 100 millisecond shifts and BMW has been as well for quite some time. Good luck with this build, you'll need every last ounce of it.

Lexus blurb
The driver can shift manually using either the console shift or steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters. Hydraulic-control technology allows the IS F***8217;s eight-speed Sport Direct Shift transmission to perform on par with manual transmissions without sacrificing the smoothness of a torque-converter automatic. Paddle-shifting operation is allowed in either D or M modes, but shifts are quicker and more direct in M mode. In M mode, the transmission will hold each gear to the 6,800-rpm redline, and upshifts are executed in just one-tenth of a second. At higher engine speeds, downshifts are accompanied by automated and precise throttle blips to match engine rpm to vehicle speed.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
You have no idea and need to do some more homework. Lexus ISF can do 100 millisecond shifts and BMW has been as well.

Lexus blurb
The driver can shift manually using either the console shift or steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters. Hydraulic-control technology allows the IS F's eight-speed Sport Direct Shift transmission to perform on par with manual transmissions without sacrificing the smoothness of a torque-converter automatic. Paddle-shifting operation is allowed in either D or M modes, but shifts are quicker and more direct in M mode. In M mode, the transmission will hold each gear to the 6,800-rpm redline, and upshifts are executed in just one-tenth of a second. At higher engine speeds, downshifts are accompanied by automated and precise throttle blips to match engine rpm to vehicle speed.
I need to do my homework on the ZF 8 Speed?
Blurb from **ZF**
"200 milliseconds is how long the 8HP 8-speed automatic transmission takes to carry out a gear shift - fast and smooth. Even a professional driver can't shift as fast as this. This gives gear shifting that impressively combines driving pleasure, efficiency, and maximum comfort. Direct gear jumps over two or more gears - including the extreme of shifting from eighth to second - are also possible. In conjunction with the intelligent adaptive shift strategies, this guarantees maximum agility and driving fun."

Link: http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/prod...driving_enjoyment/more_driving_enjoyment.html

I feel like I was fairly dead on..... I think someone else might need to shore up on their homework too before telling others to.... (also, I'm going to trust ZF more on their transmission specs rather than lexus...)

· Registered
2,857 Posts
Ya'll are talking about shift times as if that is a factor of the transmission. It's as much (or more) of a factor of the car's ECU tuning for the individual car.

· Cray
3,903 Posts
Out of curiosity, if one were to get a new ZF8 for the N55, how would you go about getting a "SAT" version of it? Would the car at hand have to have had SAT originally for it to work? Or is it a simple matter of programming it in yourself?

It'd be interesting to know how much faster the Sport Auto Trans option makes the ZF8 shift (assuming 200 milliseconds is for the non-SAT version), which would put to rest the debate as to how much faster it is (or whether it even helps, according to some).

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Out of curiosity, if one were to get a new ZF8 for the N55, how would you go about getting a "SAT" version of it? Would the car at hand have to have had SAT originally for it to work? Or is it a simple matter of programming it in yourself?

It'd be interesting to know how much faster the Sport Auto Trans option makes the ZF8 shift (assuming 200 milliseconds is for the non-SAT version), which would put to rest the debate as to how much faster it is (or whether it even helps, according to some).
I wonder if it actually does effect the shift times, or just gives you paddle controls and such. Honestly shift times are extremely variable and totally dependent on conditions, temperature, programming, etc. As I'm sure some of you have seen the M-DCT has upshift times ranging from 30-200 milliseconds, now I'm not sure if a pure auto would have the same amount of variation, but I imagine it is very much impossible to execute a shift at the exact same time, every single time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.