BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While visiting the local dealer this past weekend I found a gently used 2002 titanium/gray m3 convertible sitting beside an m3 coupe. I had been in the market for an 03 330cic thinking m's were out of reach. The salesman let me and my wife take it for an hour and I was hooked (so was she). Did some negotiating the next morning and oh my gosh.... it's mine. Picked it up last night. This is an incredible car!

With rain in the forecast, I should have called in sick and spent the day with the car. At least I got to see the fellows at work drooool over it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Congrats, sweet car. :thumbup: Now you need to post some pics. :)

If you don't mind saying, how much was it? and what kinda prices were they trying to get for the coupe? I didn't really consider the m3 cause like you I figured it would be too much even used. It would be interesting to see how the prices people are actually paying compare to what I'm paying for my 330i.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll take some pictures this weekend as soon as the sun comes back out. It's been cloudy here all week.

The coupe is 2001 and they are asking 49k. I did test drive it but I'm not sure of the options. Just wanted to see the difference between the coupe and the conv.

The m3c has ti-silver/gray, hk, bi-x, cwp, hardtop, 6-disc chgr, alarm, year of extra maint, 11k miles and was made in dec and put in service in jan. They were asking 57k but settled a few thousand lower. Previous owner, a local doctor, bought it at this dealership.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
atyclb said:

December built cars do have a higher fail rate.

:eeps:
Please elaborate.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
There is a HIGH engine failure rate on the earlie batch of M3 engine (your's fall within the build date). BMW is not recalling the cars, but it is almost certain that if you over rev the engine (yes, i know there is a rev limiter) you can kiss your engine good-bye.
So the point is DON'T let anyone else drive it. A down shift into the wrong gear, its bye-bye time...:cry:

You can search the archive on the bimmer.org E46 M3 board.

cheers,

beewang:bigpimp:

2002 LeMans ///M5

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the updates. I'll keep it out of the red.

Lot's of Nov. smg's on the spreadsheet.

atyclb - what month was your's built and have you had any trouble?

20,210 Posts
Avery said:
Thanks for the updates. I'll keep it out of the red.

Lot's of Nov. smg's on the spreadsheet.

atyclb - what month was your's built and have you had any trouble?
I'm a Sept. '01 build. I have had 0 problems. Enjoy your car!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am already am enjoying it. It's quite a machine.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Avery
So you test drove the Carbon Black M3. Was it spectacular to drive. Did you wish it had SMG or was the stick awsome enough?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lori said:
Avery
So you test drove the Carbon Black M3. Was it spectacular to drive. Did you wish it had SMG or was the stick awsome enough?
Yes I drove the coupe and it was spectacular. The 6spd is great - very easy to drive but I would like to try the smg. Maybe someday.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts