BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother who owns a 98 A4 2.8Q is really considering going with either the new A4 3.0Q or the 325ix

I've tried to sway him to our side but I gotta admit that new A4 is beautiful plus the A4 AWD system seems to be superior to the BMW's.

I've driven a few of the 3.0 Q's and it's an incredible car. The only downside I see compared to our car is the acceleration isn't as quick (well that's 3.0 vs 3.0).

Meanwhile with the prices he's getting for the Audi, he's just about in 330xi catagory though not quite.

Basically it's going to be around $38,000 (after discounts for the car he wants)

Getting a decontented 330 is out of the question for him, he is not as 'driver oritented' as a lot of us though he does enjoy a great driving vehicle.

Have you guys driven the A4 ? How do you think it compares to our E46 ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,211 Posts
drove the new 3.0 as well as the new 1.8T . I actually put money down on the A4 3.0, but was later told it could not be built the way we ordered it! The 2002 brochure on the A4 showed the perlecent white paint (1250 dollar option) as being available, but when the dealer entered the order it was bounced by Audi/AG. The next few days after the order rejection did not go too well between me and the salesman. (did I mention I have owned two previous audi's???)

I then ordered a 325xi, saved alot of money from the cost of the new A4, and also got a good, over invoice deal on the BMW, and "haven't looked back" ( = very happy with my choice)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,211 Posts
Also, one peeve I had with the new 1.8T was that there was not any chance to order any kind of power seat option. Now this may not mean a thing to most of you, but, there is a very big difference between my size and my wife's size. Being able to push a button on our keychain, and have the seats and mirrors set automaticly to our positions has become a big feature in our household, and you can only do that in the audi 3.0

Funny how when I was 17-18 years old I remember saying something like " the day I need power windows is the day I stop driving" now i'm upset if they don't have "one touch" down AND up :D :D :D :D
 

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DougDogs said:
Also, one peeve I had with the new 1.8T was that there was not any chance to order any kind of power seat option. Now this may not mean a thing to most of you, but, there is a very big difference between my size and my wife's size. Being able to push a button on our keychain, and have the seats and mirrors set automaticly to our positions has become a big feature in our household, and you can only do that in the audi 3.0

Funny how when I was 17-18 years old I remember saying something like " the day I need power windows is the day I stop driving" now i'm upset if they don't have "one touch" down AND up :D :D :D :D
thanks for the input . . . I could understand exactly what your talking about as far as getting used to options. I love all the little luxuries on my car and after having them, would find it tough to be without them. Can I live without them . . . yes, would I want to is another story

BTW The memory seats are an excellent feature, it's so much easier to just touch the button after my wife is done driving my car . . . otherwise I'd be eating the dust off the dashboard though at 5'4" she isn't THAT much shorter then me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,211 Posts
Yeah, the seat thing isn't really my gripe, more my wife's. I found the 1.8T to be a lot of fun to drive, but I'm happier with my 325.

The seat in the 1.8, or most other cars, I just put it all the way back, and all the way down...done.:) takes me only 5-10 seconds...My wife however will spend 2-3 minutes trying to get it back to the "correct" position:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
Alan F said:
Basically it's going to be around $38,000 (after discounts for the car he wants)
I know I can sound like a broken record on this, but have you talked to him about Euro Delivery for the BMW? The sticker on my 330i was $39,000, but with Euro Delivery I was able to get it for about $34,000, beating out the Audi by quite a bit and making the decision very easy.

My experience with my local Audi dealer was poor (arrogant salesman), and although I loved the A4 styling, inside and out, he couldn't get me a test drive with the 3.0 until later that month (they were fairly new then). Magazine reviews of the 3.0 clearly showed it was no match for a 330 so I passed.

--gary
 

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Re: New Audi A4 vs. the E46

Nat Brown said:


I know I can sound like a broken record on this, but have you talked to him about Euro Delivery for the BMW? The sticker on my 330i was $39,000, but with Euro Delivery I was able to get it for about $34,000, beating out the Audi by quite a bit and making the decision very easy.

My experience with my local Audi dealer was poor (arrogant salesman), and although I loved the A4 styling, inside and out, he couldn't get me a test drive with the 3.0 until later that month (they were fairly new then). Magazine reviews of the 3.0 clearly showed it was no match for a 330 so I passed.

--gary
Euro-delivery is not a possibility for a few reasons, one of the most important being the amount of time it takes to get the car.
Call him lazy (kind of like me) but taking the time to go to Europe to buy a car is just too time consuming at this time in our lives.
Plus we're in business together so if he thinks he's taking 2 weeks off I'll kill him ;)

When I am older (I'm almost 34 now) and my kids are older, I would definitely consider it for myself since it sounds like a lot of fun to do . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,204 Posts
I was inches away from buying an S4 before I chose to buy the 330Ci instead. I was testing ""tronic trannies...

The BMW was better in every possible way. The s4 is supposed to have 260 or 270 hp, but I really didnt feel a difference between cars. The only advantage Audi has, in my eyes, is it's AWD setup. Now, the S4 was beautiful, and just an awesome car, but the 330Ci had the edge IMHO.
 

·
Color blind photographer
Joined
·
1,730 Posts
While a 2 week vacation for the Euro Delivery option is a fun way to go, many people fly over, receive the car at the delivery center, drive it the less than 5 miles to the drop off place and fly home. Tiresome? Yes, but you just saved $2500 or more..........
 

·
doh!!!
Joined
·
3,188 Posts
Alan F said:

Getting a decontented 330 is out of the question for him, he is not as 'driver oritented' as a lot of us though he does enjoy a great driving vehicle.

Have you guys driven the A4 ? How do you think it compares to our E46 ?
I own a A4, previous generation version though, and it has been a good car. I vote for the A4 since he wants AWD and according to above he is not as driver oriented. The A4 is still german and handles good. A4 is well designed inside and out.

Jeff
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top