BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dash chirped at me a couple of times last week and it hit 29F one morning... the car cranked a bit slow, so I figured it was time to replace the battery before it let me sit. After 6 years, I figure I'm living on borrowed time. I like to replace batteries proactively on my terms.

Did some research and bought the mother of all E46/E39 batteries ... Deka Exact Fit 9AGM49.

Yes, I know, Autozone markets a traditional flooded wet cell for about half the price under their Duralast brand. I often let my car sit for weeks or months at a time so AGM is a far better option for me. It's also a dual design (cranking/deep cycle) which appeals to me.

Should be here tomorrow. :banana: Photos at 11.

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice. I should pick one up for the Volvo since it also takes a vented battery.
AGM batteries are actually not vented. It arrived today (all 59.5lbs of it), but I'm too lazy to take photos ... Phillies are playing :)

edit: these are completely sealed and can ship FedEx, UPS, etc. Remy Batteries has it online for about $175 shipped; I paid a bit more to help out a local retailer. Deka (aka East Penn Manufacturing) is about 9 miles away from me and wanted more at their factory store.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
: popcorn: :p

·
*^^^^^^^^*
1,719 Posts
The dash chirped at me a couple of times last week and it hit 29F one morning... the car cranked a bit slow, so I figured it was time to replace the battery before it let me sit. After 6 years, I figure I'm living on borrowed time. I like to replace batteries proactively on my terms.

Did some research and bought the mother of all E46/E39 batteries ... Deka Exact Fit 9AGM49.

Yes, I know, Autozone markets a traditional flooded wet cell for about half the price under their Duralast brand. I often let my car sit for weeks or months at a time so AGM is a far better option for me. It's also a dual design (cranking/deep cycle) which appeals to me.

Should be here tomorrow. :banana: Photos at 11.
Where did you buy it from and how much was it?

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Keeping it surreal
43,207 Posts

·
Das rampen abwarten
373 Posts
AGM batteries are actually not vented.
Don't understand that comment. The ones I've had experience with were vented. AGM batteries simply have the electrolyte solution absorbed into the mat material. The chemistry is the same as a flooded battery with the same potential gas issues. (I think most Deka have a flush vent hole at the + end of the cover.)

In any event Deka does make pretty good batteries. Congrats.:thumbup:

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't a heavy ass battery in my car. I use AA.
Right. The weight difference is roughly two pounds. And it's worth it.

I think you mean AAA. No offense, but I don't understand the mentaility of waiting for a part to fail and then replacing it. A battery is good for about 5 years max.

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
5,208 Posts
OK so not to beat a dead horse here, but if I picked one up (for the vovo or the e46, either or) you just don't use the vent tube?

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As promised ... just installed.

1. The beast in the trunk.
2. In situ; it fits perfectly. There is indeed a vent hole on the side.
3. Bonus photo of my "auxillary fuel tank". An EU only option. Holds about 3 gallons.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Right. snipped A battery is good for about 5 years max.
I think 5 winters is about it in most cases. One of my other cars is a 1949 MG, which I partiallly rebuilt for its 50th birthday in 1999. The last thing I did was buy a new battery for it, and I chose a cheapie. That same damn battery is still in the car, and still cranks it strongly, sometimes after sitting for 5 or 6 weeks. And this with the infamous British Lucas electrical system. Go figure, must be the luck of the draw on batteries.

:dunno:

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I think 5 winters is about it in most cases. One of my other cars is a 1949 MG, which I partiallly rebuilt for its 50th birthday in 1999. The last thing I did was buy a new battery for it, and I chose a cheapie. That same damn battery is still in the car, and still cranks it strongly, sometimes after sitting for 5 or 6 weeks. And this with the infamous British Lucas electrical system. Go figure, must be the luck of the draw on batteries.

:dunno:
MG :yikes:. Oh man, talk to me... I've owned many (although I confess to also owning a Triumph). I have this battery in my MGB. It's also an AGM style from Moss Motors and it starts *every time*. I've let it sit for a year or two. WestCo AGM... about $90. The Exide on the right is a piece of crap. I'm a battery snob :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Scott, i had AAA replace mine at my house for a reasonable cost, I know u may want to diy. But the convenience was just too good.

~A

1 - 20 of 25 Posts