Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I have been developing a kit that is an alternative to the pricey Dinan throttle body. It uses a brand new 84mm body which bolts right up the the m62 intake manifold. It is 100% plug and play out of the box.

Some fun facts:
-Stock m62tu TB is 79.5mm
-Dinan Upgrade is 82.5mm
-This kit's TB is 84mm

Included:
1 x brand new 84mm throttle body
1 x wire harness adapter

Thought I would start a thread to generate some interest since there is a high demand but little supply of m62tu upgrades in the 540i & 740i market.

Link to purchase a kit: https://www.panjo.com/buy/big-bore-throttle-body-upgrade-kit-bmw-m62tu-e39-540i-e38-740i-1999-2003-337478

Attachments

·
Registered
15,513 Posts
Need a retune to take advantage?

What is the evidence that the engine starves for air?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No tune needed, but obviously the gains from using a larger TB can be amplified with a tune. As for proof that the engine starves for air, I don't personally have any besides the fact that I felt a noticeable difference when I installed one on my car. People have also reported gains from Dinan's kit so I would say its a worthwhile upgrade.

·
Nothing to read here...
2,694 Posts
No tune needed, but obviously the gains from using a larger TB can be amplified with a tune. As for proof that the engine starves for air, I don't personally have any besides the fact that I felt a noticeable difference when I installed one on my car. People have also reported gains from Dinan's kit so I would say its a worthwhile upgrade.
Looks cool but really no info on how or why a larger TB is better? That ain't gonna sell to well unless you show them something.

I'm not shooting down your product, I'm all for aftermarket support and parts but you gotta learn how to market if you wanna sell anything

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Looks cool but really no info on how or why a larger TB is better? That ain't gonna sell to well unless you show them something.

I'm not shooting down your product, I'm all for aftermarket support and parts but you gotta learn how to market if you wanna sell anything
I understand your concern. I do not have or know anyone who has the equipment to flow test the components of the m62tu's intake system to figure out the choke points. I am currently searching for someone who has a bone stock 540i to get before/after dyno results.

Below is Dinan's product description:

"Dinan's High Flow Throttle Bodies improve intake air flow for additional horsepower and torque gains. The internal diameter of the stock throttle body is bored larger increasing the air flow area. The resulting increase in air flow provides more horsepower and torque throughout the rpm range, with noticeably quicker throttle response.

Throttle body is 3mm larger for an 8% increase in airflow area.

Stock bore = 79.5mm Dinan bore = 82.5mm"

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
So , by reading the above. if one were too use a 530 throttle body on a 525 engine one, might find some hidden power?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello
I am interested in the wiring . Can I buy the wire thats connect the trottle body N62 to M62 trottle body.
Can't find the socket/male for the M 62 SOCKET AND i DON'T KNOW HOW TO CONNECT THE TWO SOCKETS that is the number on the sockets.

Please mail asap.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It was too late to text, didn't want to be rude. I have since texted him (no reply yet)
Thanks for your concern..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ordered one and paid through Paypal. Not arrived. He stopped texting or answering his phone. Could be he lost his phone but then why did the adapter never arrive?

·
Under the lift arms
12,899 Posts
i had that throttle body in my hand on Monday when i did the valley pan on the 550

BUT im more interested to see what he did with the adapter harness

I could pull both Bentley and figure it out.. but He did a nice little job

1 - 20 of 21 Posts