BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought my 1st BMW, and I'll never drive another jap import again (least not by choice). I picked up a 1986 325ES with 131k miles. Ive never driven such a nice car on the freeway. Other day wasnt paying attention to the speed, looked down and was doing about 90 :bigpimp:.

Now onto my question, When let off the clutch I hear a "Chunk Chunk" from what sounds like the rear. Tho to be honest could be the middle of the car. I have tryed to find data on what this could be or what i can do to check it and havent found anything.

I'll get some pics up soon as I can. She's not verry pretty atm tho, was stored outside for the last 2 years and so the paint on the hood/roof is shot.

Thanks for any help you can offer. Glad to be a pert of this community now :thumbup:.

-- Cronikus --

·
Registered
49 Posts
i agree, sounds like it could be the U-joint either right after your transmission or on the driveshaft itself. some models come with one piece drive shafts, others with two. either way, check the little rubber disk right behind where the transmission hooks up to the driveshaft, if its all cracked up and/or missing bolts, replace it. You also might want to check the mount that holds the driveshaft from rattling around too much, if you can grab your driveshaft and free move it more than 1/8th of an inch, the mounts gone bad.

hope this helps

·
Registered
275 Posts
If it is a u-joint Classic Motorsports newest issue has an article about changing one. It's issue #115. It's all pictures with commentary under each step. It's not a hard job just a dirty one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks guys, im going to jack my new toy up this weekend and have a peak. Also going to get a bently manual this weekend.

·
Registered
275 Posts
cronikus said:
I just recently bought my 1st BMW, and I'll never drive another jap import again (least not by choice). I picked up a 1986 325ES with 131k miles. Ive never driven such a nice car on the freeway. Other day wasnt paying attention to the speed, looked down and was doing about 90 :bigpimp:.

Now onto my question, When let off the clutch I hear a "Chunk Chunk" from what sounds like the rear. Tho to be honest could be the middle of the car. I have tryed to find data on what this could be or what i can do to check it and havent found anything.

I'll get some pics up soon as I can. She's not verry pretty atm tho, was stored outside for the last 2 years and so the paint on the hood/roof is shot.

Thanks for any help you can offer. Glad to be a pert of this community now :thumbup:.

-- Cronikus --
I won't take offense to the Jap import remark, but our other car is an Acura RSXTypeS. We've been buying/leasing Honda products since 1982.

Hope you can get your car taken car of, just make sure to use stands and not just a jack to hold it up.

I know what you mean about not being very pretty, mine needs some body work, small dings here and there, and it looks like it got hit by a shotgun slug on the front driver's fender.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts