BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
BMW 128i Coupe
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Brian Baker. I recently bought a Used 128i with 62k and I had a friend of mine that works for Global Imports BMW in Atlanta, pull a vehicle history report. The lady that owned the vehicle had it service very often, took very good car of the vehicle aside from minor scratches and one ding.

On the way to work today, I was going down the interstate and I changed lanes to pass someone and the SES Light comes on.

Now the vehicle does not drive any differently. No shuttering or difference in the way the vehicle sounds.

Please give your feedback as to what you think it might be.

Thank you.

·
BMW 128i Coupe
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Had a friend of mine pull the code and the code is P0015- 'B' Camshaft Position-Timing Over Retarded (Bank 1). It also says that under the "Action in Service" section None. What do you think?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been in the Automotive field for over 30 years. My personal recommendation would be take it to the dealer or a well know, well established, independent shop and have the vehicle repaired. Do not let someone that is not well experienced work or advise on your BMW, just my opinion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It might be a bad reading from one of the camshaft's position sensors. If the light has gone off and it drives like usual don't mind it, but if it lights up and it's that camshaft message again, take it to a dealer, if a sensor is not working properly, the car might shutdown if it can't get reliable readings to control the ignition/injection system. I had this problem once and my car stalled on the motorway, so be careful if it happens again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
camshaft sensors can go out, part is some $300 I believe. You may/may not need to take the valve cover off to replace it, depending on the location of the sensor. My 128i had a rough idle and they replaced the camshaft sensor. I believe they also replaced the valve cover gasket too at the same time, which I assume is because they needed to take the valve cover off.

However, on my e36 m3, the camshaft sensor was right at the front of the engine and was pretty easy to replace by myself. Took maybe an hour tops. No clue what the process is for the n52.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts