BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my wife and I take delivery of our first BMW. It's a 1995 325is automatic w/ 70k miles. I must say we were kinda dissappointed with the performance when we drove it, but all in all it is a nice car. We are use to the "plant you in seat" performance of Corvettes, Porsche's, etc. We wanted a sporty, classy, easy to handle, and dependable car and I do believe that is what we are getting. I have already started researching the usual cosmetic and performance mods for the BMW's and quickly noticed it is more expensive than others to modify. I really want to keep the car looking nice and mechanically sound and dependable. What basic advice can any of the veteran BMW owners give me as what to expect from this car and what to keep check on. Is it worth spending a lot of money on this model with this mileage or should I wait for the next one we buy in 6 months, either a '99-'00 328ci or a 540i? Any advice appreciated.

·
10,856 Posts
Forgive me, but if you want performance, you can't buy an automatic BMW. ESPECIALLY an old one. Before '99 BMW had rather pathetically slow slushboxes. An automatic Bimmer, especially an old one is not worth modding. Wait until you upgrade before doing that. (If you had a stick, I'd tell you to get the Acxtive Autowerke turbo package. 380HP :D :D :D That would rip the slushbox to shreds, though.)

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Can you find out if your '95 is equipped with ODB-I Engine management? If not, you can get GOBS of power from it with a simple Cold Air Intake, Engine Chip and Exhaust and be able to get another 30-40 HP from it EASILY. Check www.ecisbmw.com for the cold air intake, www.turnermotorsports.com for Jim Conforti chip, and the choices for exhaust is just too many to list (Borla, Tri-flow, AA, UUC...etc). You can have all this done for less than $1,000 if you're mechanically inclined, ~$1,200 if you have to get a mechanic to install it.

·
10,856 Posts
As I recall, The '94 and '95 were both ODB-I. Year 1996 signalled the switch to ODB-II.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
As I recall, The '94 and '95 were both ODB-I. Year 1996 signalled the switch to ODB-II.
Thanks Nick, I wasn't sure which year ODB-I was implemented...

That would definately make modding his '95 325is that much more difficult and the returns are not worth the effort.

·
10,856 Posts
Actually, OBD-I was pretty easy to mod... I recall a guy with an ODB-I '95 325is who was able to get his car to run with M3s with chip, intake, and exhaust. He might have had pulleys, too.

My old '94 saw a nice increase (along with 7000 RPMS) with an AA chip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys.....Since the off the line acceleration is my greatest concern, does anyone ever consider changing the rear end gear ratio in these cars? Also, will a 70k mile engine be able to handle the mods, especially 7000 rpm?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
allani said:
Thanks Guys.....Since the off the line acceleration is my greatest concern, does anyone ever consider changing the rear end gear ratio in these cars? Also, will a 70k mile engine be able to handle the mods, especially 7000 rpm?
Sorry to continue being an ass, but the off the line acceleration is slow mostly because of the auto transmission.

Do you not like to drive stick? Your wife? Something else? I think the best mod that you could possibly do would be to trade that slushie in for one with a clutch.

Just a thought.

·
10,856 Posts
Mystikal is right, the only way to get more power off the line with a slushbox is a turbo. Virtually ALL the mods will increase high end power, sometimes at the expensive of bottom end. Off the line with an automatic, you need all the power you can get. I drove my '94 325i with a chip and usually hit 7000 RPMs at least once per drive. I will, however, admit that even after eight years, that car only had 33K on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Advice well taken. I am only keeping this car for 6 months so I will just worry about taking care of it's appearance and save the performance mods for my next one that will be a manual tranny.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts