1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 335is
43,000 miles
Curious as to how thick new pads are.
The dealer measured my pads yesterday and said the front are 11mm and the rear are 8 mm.
No longer under warranty.
These are the original OEM pads.
Do they last forever!!!!!!
Thanks for your thoughts.
Jim

·
Brucew
121 Posts
My 2011 E92 335i has the original front brake pads and are approx 6mm after 80,000 miles. The CBS reading indicates there are 28000 miles left!!
Rears have 15000 miles left. These brake pads last forever. Rotors have no lip either.
Part of the reason is the auto box down-shifting when coming to a stop. What a difference from older BMW's that ate though brake pads

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly the same explanation given by the Master Mechanic. I think the pads are 12mm when new but I cannot find out for sure. They charge around $1400 for all pads, rotors and sensors.
Thanks for your time.
Jim

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Someone on another thread has purchased new pads, is still getting information pertinent to installation, and I am trying to get him to MEASURE pad thickness for you. (I've been trying to get his attention on this for 4 days.)

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I just heard from someone "19mm to backside of backing plate". The thickness of the backing plate did not seem to be correctly identified, however..."1mm"
zeichen311 says "backing plates are about 6mm thick"

·
Brucew
121 Posts
I think the 1mm was referring to the anti-squeal gasket on the back of the backing plate that are on some pads.
The actual backing plate is about 6mm as noted in previous posts.

·
Registered
11,355 Posts
2012 335is
43,000 miles
The dealer measured my pads yesterday and said the front are 11mm and the rear are 8 mm.
Do they last forever!!!!!!Thanks for your thoughts.
Jim
Your mileage may vary.

My 2002 M3 had the original pads all around at 115k miles when I sold it. But, I live in an area with straight, flat roads and the car had a lot of interstate miles. Being aware of what's going on a quarter mile or half mile in front of you, and engine compression braking does have a great effect on brake pad life.

My service writer got her feelings hurt. She asked me if I got a brake job from somebody else.

·
Car guy since 1968
1,478 Posts
2012 335is
43,000 miles
Do they last forever!!!!!!
Thanks for your thoughts.
Jim
Different brands may be slightly different in original thickness. How about going to the dealer with a MM rule and asking to see a set of pads?

Really not worth the trouble....frankly, with that little wear, make sure to check the inner and outer pads on both sides, as there should be more wear. Your concern would be if the calipers are hung up, which will cause uneven wear between inner and outer pads.

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,658 Posts
Think I read somewhere that the initial friction material thickness is 11mm. This sounds about right
Nope, friction material on new front pads is closer to 13mm, perhaps a fraction over. Fresh rears are about 10mm+.

I'm installing a set of front pads on the E46 tomorrow. Those are 0.4mm thicker than the E90's but just for grins, I'll post the measurements, because I need to mike the rotors anyway.

Can, used easy.
Can't, back road stormin'.
No kiddin'...my track-use pads (Hawk HPS 5.0) are all done by about 700 mi.... :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts