Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I’m planning to upgrade my old E36 with a nice e38.
In this case, I need to know if it's worth getting a model with the Insulating double-glazing (S352A), or just stick with the single pane.
There are many e38 models here in Europe with both types of glazing.
Now, I've read a lot about a delamination problem but so far ONLY with the protective glazing (S357A).
The protective glazing, is very rare on the e38 in Europe. Will never buy one of these due to the problem stated above.

Are these insulating S352A windows, prone to delamination as the Protective glazing (S357A)?
Is the insulating double-glazing (S352A) worth it, compared to the single pane?

I really don't wish to have any expensive delamination problems, but on the other hand I would like a really quiet ride/cabin.

Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
873 Posts
The 750 came with DG as standard, though this does not include the windscreen. Had my iL maybe 10 years now and no sign of delamination. I P/exd my 740 for the 750 and there was a big reduction in noise level. If your proposed car comes with the glass moonroof, be aware that the seal to this is a serious source of noise, there being an uprated seal fitted to later 7s that solves this issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The 750 came with DG as standard, though this does not include the windscreen. Had my iL maybe 10 years now and no sign of delamination. I P/exd my 740 for the 750 and there was a big reduction in noise level. If your proposed car comes with the glass moonroof, be aware that the seal to this is a serious source of noise, there being an uprated seal fitted to later 7s that solves this issue.
Thanks for the reply.
I intend to buy a facelift model from 1999-2001 and yes a lot of them have the glass moonroof.
Was the seal issue fixed by BMW at the facelift models?
Another thing I've spotted mentioned on the forums a few times, is a leaking fuel tank.
Has this issue been fixed at the facelift models, if not, how bad is it in the real world, how often does it happen?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Mine is a facelift still with the old seal. It came in with the later sevens as its the same seal. You only need to fix it once, and it makes a significant difference to noise levels when the sunshade is open.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
It's been a few years since I had 7 series BMWs [ had '01 740i & '98 740i & '94 740i | but as I recall at least one of them had the double glazing side windows. Never had any problem in any way with the glass and I drove them in hot, cold, wet, dry, snow, rain etc etc - they were always parked outside (no garage space). IMHO anyone considering buying an older 7 Series BMW (esp high mileage examples) should be concerned about more problematic matters: oil leaks + cooling system failures + transmission failures.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks a lot for the help guys.
Been reading a lot on the forums about the reliability of the 740i vs 750i.

I do DIY on my cars, and the V12 looks to me, like a nightmare to work on.
Doesn't look like, there's much room for anything under that hood.

But is it true, that the V12 is much more reliable than the V8?
What about electrical problems, maintenance ?

Also been reading about some horror stories on the V12, this for instance:

https://my750.com/

Any of these things to keep in mind?

·
Registered
873 Posts
The V12 is not as bad as it might seem. There is reasonable access down the side of the engine if you simply move things like the air filter, oil filter and steering reservoir out of the way. At the front removal of the fan and radiator gives decent access. Hoses at the back of the engine are tight but doable with patience. After so much time, most jobs have been covered in the forums, so there is always advice to be had.

The M73 is a development of the M70 engine so been around longer and needs less remedial work than the V8. You really need to be able to so some spanner work to keep costs under control though...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts