BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to get my 330 Ci, Topaz Blue, black ette, sport, moonroof out the door for 23k for a 3 yr lease. Is that a good deal? (Dont ask me why I put everything down at the start, I had to) I am wondering what crazy mods I can do to the car without screwing with the wiring, since you're not supposed to mod a leased car.

Also, is there anything I can do about a hands free phone kit short of going with the rip off BMW version? Thanks.

·
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy
7,645 Posts
23k? Wow, that's...

Unbelievable :(

Maybe you can explain this to me, since I'm looking at the same car for next year, and how you got that price, cuz the MSRP is over at around 30k. With nothing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the sticker price with everything (MSRP) was 39k. I am getting the total three year lease for 23k (comes out to 2500 down with 550 a month payments).

·
Registered
526 Posts
First, congratulations.

From a warranty perspective, the engine mods you can do are limited to Dinan products within the US and that is only if the work is done by a BMW/Dinan dealership. There is one at Owens Mills, and BMW of Sterlings in VA.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
from what i gather dinnan doesnt have any upgrades worth doing, being neither economically or nor helping performance that much. any opinions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dinan does some very cool stuff, it just depends on what you're looking for. All of his mods have very good reputations, and they're now covered under the CPO program.

The straight answer to your first question is - BMW factory mods, professionally installed, are OK to put on your car and leave there when you turn it in. I think (don't quote me on this) that this now includes Dinan mods. Check with you Dealer on that one. Any other aftermarket goodies you put on your car will have to be taken off and put back to original before you turn in your car. If you don't, you'll be charged. Apparently they look very dimly on window tinting especially.

There's a good piece about all of this on the Owners' Circle.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Quite frankly, Dinan is one of the best tuners in many one's opinions. Actually, there were an article in BMW Car magazine that placed high regard on Dinan's operations and engineering; and the last issue of Roundel had two articles with very high praises.

Dinan is doing some of the best tuning, especially if you consider that even BMW NA/AG regocnizes their work; not to mention that they even got in to the CPO program. I think that says a lot about their work and overall reliability of their applications.

Dinan believes that the only possible way to really boost power is through forced induction; let it be turbo or super charging. CAI stuff from any source only adds modest gains that is hardly noticeable during daily driving.

When it comes to "performace" there are several ways of defining it. If we are talking about performance on the track - probably nate328 can confirm - the best mods you can do to go fast is actually break and suspension upgrades. Those mods are the easiest of all and the cheapest if you are really looking to cut few seconds of track times. Other than that, the only way is forced induction, engine upgrades, or model (M3) upgrades.

If you are looking to be just different from the other e46s out on the street however, the most visible upgrades you can do are sensible cosmetic ones, like wheels and probably tires; wings, etc.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wait a minute, my car is leased. Are you saying that i can't do any mods other than Dinan? I think Dinan makes excellent products except there ECU software is not worth the money. I planned on going with either AA or RD's software.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dont mod a lease

From what I know u cant mod anything on a leased car unless its 100% reversible and your dealer agrees, or unless its dinan then it can stay with the car when u return it. If you do vertain engine mods the warranty could become void too. Thus my question on what to do.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
FlyingToaster said:

When it comes to "performace" there are several ways of defining it. If we are talking about performance on the track - probably nate328 can confirm - the best mods you can do to go fast is actually break and suspension upgrades. Those mods are the easiest of all and the cheapest if you are really looking to cut few seconds of track times. Other than that, the only way is forced induction, engine upgrades, or model (M3) upgrades.
This is the best upgrade for the track :D

But, about Dinan, they make excellent products. The quality and attention to detail is astounding, most impressive are the upgrade packages to M cars. The new M5 package is incredible. But, brake and suspension work are critical, and more important than engine upgrades. And much more expensive. Dinan pays a lot of attention to the suspension setup and they get great reviews for suspension products. Very well sorted. They should be replacing thier Koni shocks with JRKs, per Roundel

blackdawg knows a lot about Dinan. He had a S/C M Coupe. Bar none, Dinan forced induction kits are the best.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Think of it this way: when you lease a car, you don't actually own the car. You are "renting" it. The owner will want the car back in the same condition he originally rented it to you. That is why, with few exceptions, you can't mod the car unless you are willing to take the mods off at the end of the lease. You also have to take care in what mods you make because the last thing you want to do is void the warranty. To be honest, I don't know why anyone would want to mod a stock 3er when brand new. Most people wait until the warranty is up, but I guess you could make some cosmetic mods. God, do I hate the wing. Doesn't belong on the 3er, IMO. :tsk:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
The only problem with Dinan is that it is covered by a warranty identical to the BMW warranty. :yikes:

Did I just say warranty coverage is a problem? Yes, b/c in many people's opinions, it means that Dinan doesn't push the envelope. They fix stuff when it breaks, so they make it dependable. That sounds good to me, but for those who want the last possible ounce of performance out of the car and don't care if it might break, there are supposedly better options.

I don't know what your driving level is, but I found out very quickly at my first driving school that I was nowhere close to being able to use the car to its maximum ability in stock form. You might want to try a school or two before you decide on performance mods. Even if you can use the capability of mods, a school or two might help you decide which ones you want first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts