Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Porsche is looking at Cayenne spin-offs including a long-wheelbase seven-seater and even a US-style pick-up. A Cayenne targa, with a retractable rear window and three-section glass roof, is also being mulled. Most likely a lightweight 600bhp 5.5-litre twin-turbo V8 Club Sport.
For the LTW Cayenne, are they going to drop it down to, what, 4600lbs? :dunno: :p

Also, they seemed to like the M3 CSL too :D

It's not about power, but control- sharpening responses and reducing reaction times....The slight slack you instinctively expect in road cars, even fast ones, just isn't there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,204 Posts
stupid stupid porsche


Bill: "Hey bob wanna go huntin"
Bob: "yeah just got a new gun rack in my porsche want me to drive."
Bill: "Yeah bob sure, you do got a CB installed right, its a long drive"
Bob: "Yeah sure due, got a tool box in the back, and my fishin' pole too just in case"
Bill: "Good deal bob, Ill bring the cooler"
Bob: Aight bill, lets get going!!"
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
TD would appreciate this quote

Right, the CSL. This is a car that's definitely about engineering. The M division's white coat wearers must have reacted with glee when asked to take the standard M3 and, in Spinal Tap fashion, turn it up to 11.
The opening shot is a full page CSL drifting with the text "Turned up to 11"

:D

and, the Pilot Sport Cup tires will be on ALL production CSLs. A street car that comes standard with competion tires :bigpimp:
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris330ci said:


Could you scan and post please...? :angel:
You can go and buy it yourself :angel:

EVERY issue of CAR is worth the money...
 
Joined
·
20,210 Posts
nate328Ci said:
TD would appreciate this quote



The opening shot is a full page CSL drifting with the text "Turned up to 11"

:D

and, the Pilot Sport Cup tires will be on ALL production CSLs. A street car that comes standard with competion tires :bigpimp:
too bad not in the U.S. :cry:
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
atyclb said:


too bad not in the U.S. :cry:
Are you referring to the tires or the car?

I thought the M Brand manager said it was coming :dunno:

Pilot Sport Cups are street legal here :dunno:
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see why the car would be excluded from the US. I thought each transmission and engine had to be federalized, this car uses the same engine (a bit tweaked) and tranny as the standard M3 :dunno: Even if those tweaks require re-federalization, it could just be imported with the regular S54 :dunno:
 
Joined
·
20,210 Posts
nate328Ci said:
I don't see why the car would be excluded from the US. I thought each transmission and engine had to be federalized, this car uses the same engine (a bit tweaked) and tranny as the standard M3 :dunno: Even if those tweaks require re-federalization, it could just be imported with the regular S54 :dunno:
too much CF?

really, I was just stoking the flames a little :angel: :angel: :angel:
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
atyclb said:


no! I've been wanting to. My Father-in-Law stayed/played there a coupla months ago and really enjoyed it. He's nearly a scratch golfer still, at 68 or so. Have you ever played at Barton Creek here in Austin?
I don't think so. I have played Onion Creek a few times ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
hi nate.

saw that CSL article and that's why i bought that issue of CAR yesterday.

first off: what a well-written magazine.

second: the CSL article was awesome because it also had an inset article about the nurburgring and the batmobile (original CSL) picture airborne was spectacular.

third: the e46 CSL is truly an awesome car. the question at the end of the day for most people is: is it worth the additional moneys over the standard M3? at that cost level, which is 911-esque, also: is it worth it? many will answer that for themselves for sure. it speaks highly of the standard 911 (2002 and newer) that it still holds it own against a carbon fibre-d one-off race car.

again: this is not in any way to detract from the normal M3, it's got limits most of us will never exploit; but the CSL is kinda what naive me expected in the first place. in the end, i say to heck with that, i buckled and bought an aircooled 993 because the pull was too great. knowing full well that the 996 is a far better car and that the m3 probably outdoes everything my car can.
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: hi nate.

blackdawg said:
saw that CSL article and that's why i bought that issue of CAR yesterday.

first off: what a well-written magazine.

second: the CSL article was awesome because it also had an inset article about the nurburgring and the batmobile (original CSL) picture airborne was spectacular.

third: the e46 CSL is truly an awesome car. the question at the end of the day for most people is: is it worth the additional moneys over the standard M3? at that cost level, which is 911-esque, also: is it worth it? many will answer that for themselves for sure. it speaks highly of the standard 911 (2002 and newer) that it still holds it own against a carbon fibre-d one-off race car.

again: this is not in any way to detract from the normal M3, it's got limits most of us will never exploit; but the CSL is kinda what naive me expected in the first place. in the end, i say to heck with that, i buckled and bought an aircooled 993 because the pull was too great. knowing full well that the 996 is a far better car and that the m3 probably outdoes everything my car can.
Agree, CAR is incredibly well written.

I think that I would rather have the CSL over the 911, although most probably wouldn't.

The CSL, or any BMW, will never drive like Porsche. It is impossilbe to make a front engine 50/50 car drive like a rear engine car with a rear weight bias. That's why Porsches are so distinctive. What you mention about the standard M3 was also covered in the sidebar. It said that the regular model was 90% of the M3 that most would want. I would increase that to about 97%. It did say that the CSL performed better than the 911, in the end, I think that was BMW's goal. Build a 5 seat 911 killer, the regular M3 came close, but they got it with the CSL. It would be more informative when they get the produciton model in with the proper SMG settings on a dry track. Still, should be a great car.

btw, did you see this? http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10583

I think you mentioned those tires before :dunno:

edit: Why did you get the cab 993? Most clubs don't allow cabrios on the track :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
couldn't resist

figure to get another used 911 in my future....so a 993 cab with a rollbar isn't too shabby for the track.

but yeah, the practical person would just rather have gotten a 993 coupe or an e46m3.
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: couldn't resist

blackdawg said:
figure to get another used 911 in my future....so a 993 cab with a rollbar isn't too shabby for the track.

but yeah, the practical person would just rather have gotten a 993 coupe or an e46m3.
You're right. Fine with a roll bar. Are they removable?

In the meantime, you can always take the 325 (or the Bravada :p)
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top