BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
100kWh

There's some buzz around the internets again that suggests there may very well be a 100 kWh battery option coming for Tesla's Model S and X ranges. Currently Tesla's 90D, with their 90 kWh battery, holds the top spot in the line-up for range with 294 miles. This bump in power would give a significant boost in range, as well as power, possibly allowing the Model S to hit up to 380 miles. The quote below from The Verge makes this seem like it could be the real deal.

Dutch blog*Kenteken.TV reports that RDW, the Dutch regulator that certifies Tesla's vehicles for use in the European Union, recently published listings of a number of new Tesla variants. This certification is necessary for the cars to be sold in the EU. Kentekennotes that RDW's public database now includes entries for a Tesla "100D" and "100X" - variant titles that follow Tesla's current naming system based on battery capacity. The listing for the 100D also claims the vehicle has a range of 613 kilometers, or 381 miles (although*Autoblog notes that EU range estimates tend to be more optimistic than those issued by the US EPA).
Source The Verge

Attachments

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Battery density continues to increase for any source. The thing that worries me on the way Tesla does things is the fact that there are literally thousands of individual cells, where a defect in any one means issues. From a technical viewpoint, I much prefer BMW's choice in using lots fewer, larger cells with those then packaged into modules that can easily be replaced in parts verses having to swap the whole pack. IMHO, more connections, more opportunity for failures, not that those seem to be rampant. If you don't live near a SuperCharger, just think how long it would take to 'fill' up! Better recharge at any opportunity, or be stuck forever waiting on a level 2 unit if you need to drive any distance!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Battery density continues to increase for any source. The thing that worries me on the way Tesla does things is the fact that there are literally thousands of individual cells, where a defect in any one means issues. From a technical viewpoint, I much prefer BMW's choice in using lots fewer, larger cells with those then packaged into modules that can easily be replaced in parts verses having to swap the whole pack. IMHO, more connections, more opportunity for failures, not that those seem to be rampant. If you don't live near a SuperCharger, just think how long it would take to 'fill' up! Better recharge at any opportunity, or be stuck forever waiting on a level 2 unit if you need to drive any distance!
Why? Tesla has the best system to date. Thinner and more spread out are better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.