BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I recently picked up an 318IS with a 325i engine and have a few questions. For starters are there any differences in the chassis I should be aware of with the 325i engine in there (extra stiffeners, smaller CV joints, etc)? Also what is the best way to determine the year of the engine so I know what to buy parts for? It looks like its time for a timing belt.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Four-cylinder cars have smaller front struts and the small-case diff. Also the radiator is different, but that doesn't matter.

Regarding the year of the engine, as far as I'm aware there weren't any significant running changes. So you don't need to worry about which year when buying 325i engine parts.

·
Bavarian Autosport
415 Posts
A 90-91 production 318is in the US should have the bigger strut housings. There are some internal differences with bearings and such that split midyear in 88 if I recall and 87 water pumps were unique. An 88-up engine harness has the twist-lock connector under the intake so it can be removed as a unit without unplugging anything else. Of course that doesn't necessarily tell you the year of the engine. Like has been already stated pretty much all regular maintenance stuff is going to be the same. I wouldn't stress too much about the small case diff either. Sure the larger one is stronger but we've seen the small ones take some abuse and keep on ticking too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts