BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, this past weekend I picked up a '98 540i6, metallic gray on black. After hours of research on the two larger BMW forums, I finally found the perfect car that suits [almost] all of my needs, a 540i. Luxury, sport, manual, power, RWD, and mod-ability.

After coming from a 5spd SC300 I must say this car is AMAZING, although I can really feel the extra weight. But that and gas mileage are the only cons; first day I bought it I went through $22 worth of gas. Of course it was worth every penny.

On to the specs and pics:

$6,500 -- 124,000 miles with most of the common problems taken care of.

Things it will need: valve cover gaskets, rear upper control arm, drive belts, and rear door won't automatically lock/unlock. Which would you recommend for DIY and which for taking to a mechanic?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Nice wheels!

I wouldn't change a thing cosmetically.

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Gorgeous. I'm not fan of those wheels. Some MPars would really set this baby off. Oh and welcome to the window regulator issue. Do a search on here as there are a few DIY's I think where you can rebuild instead of ordering the dealer part which is pretty expensive. Sweet ride man. Really.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Yes I have many plans for this car, H&R race/bilstein, mpars, clear tails, hella's up front, m5 replica bumpers, and tint.
For the interior, something with the trim (not sure yet), and a zhp knob is all.

Also how does the window regulator have anything to do with the locking mechanism??

·
bimmer love
267 Posts

·
bimmer love
267 Posts
and i finally just got to reading... 124K?? 6500?????? im so pissed right now. that car is in prestine condition

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Yes I have many plans for this car, H&R race/bilstein, mpars, clear tails, hella's up front, m5 replica bumpers, and tint.
For the interior, something with the trim (not sure yet), and a zhp knob is all.

Also how does the window regulator have anything to do with the locking mechanism??
Damn you're right about the locking mechanism. My bad. For some interior treats checkout this thread.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha yes this car is pretty darn clean. I feel like I got really lucky on this one, as it also came with a stack of maintenance records.

I was thinking of doing the CF wrap actually, but thought it might be too much? How does it look in person?

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
It looks awesome. It's really a personal pref thing. The wood trim is ok but it's just so very dated. I felt it was time for something new and rolled with it. VERY happy with the results and everyone that gets in seems to like it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You found a gem there, she is so clean in and out. I love the color, and I would'nt change a thing. She is badass in stock format IMO. As far as the lock, it could be the actuator which is pretty easy to fix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the welcome. That CDV sounds pretty interesting and easy, I'll give that a go as soon as I can get it in the garage.

I figured the lock was an actuator or electrical problem but I'll look around, good to know it's an easy fix!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just had something weird happen..

I parked the car overnight with 1/8th a tank of gas, got in started it today it showed an 1/8th and then drops down to empty? No gasoline under the car..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts