BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 535, with 50225 miles, was having misfiring problems and my scanner pointed to injector problems in #3 and #5 cylinders. As I do not have the tool to replace the injectors I took the car to the dealership. They concurred about the injectors and replaced all 6 that I supplied. (FCP euro parts). I was about to get it back when the #5 kept misfiring. They kept it and blamed the problem on extremely worn valve seals. I was quoted $8,000 to replace all the seals. When the shock wore off I contacted BMW NA and filed a complaint. Their solution was to replace the engine and pay 50% of the cost. Their tech department stated that the new engine has been designed to take care of some of the problems associated with the old one. Bad Valve seals, weak lower bearings, and a few other small things.
I did find out that 2010 - 2013 N55's had a service bulletin to replace the valve seals due to a deficiency in them. My car is a 2014, built 10/2013, but was not covered. I am unable to get an answer as to when the new improved valve seals were installed in the N55's.
I am just writing this as an FYI for other N55 owners.
Thanks for listening

· Registered
133 Posts
maybe try an indy?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe try an indy?
I would but BMW NA is contributing, an equal amount, $13,000. The Service writer stated that a customer pay would be $33,000 for the replacement. It is my wife's car and it is in pristine condition. It is just sad in that our 99 A6 went for 18 years and 200,000 miles with no engine problems, it, however, succumbed to a snowbank with a hidden fire hydrant.

· Registered
98 Posts

$13k doesn't seem all that worth it when you can just purchase another one for a few thousand more. Who knows if that repair will last. If it doesn't your out $13k

· Registered
96 Posts
Assuming the bottom end of the engine is still sound (lower miles, should be) have you considered just having the head done, or replacing it with a competently reconditioned one? You'd stand to save about $10K. Good luck with solution whatever you decide.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

$13k doesn't seem all that worth it when you can just purchase another one for a few thousand more. Who knows if that repair will last. If it doesn't your out $13k
Believe me, we had thought about it, but with the condition, the car is in my wife just wanted to keep it. her last car, A 1999 A6 lasted 18 years before succumbing to a snowbank with a fire hydrant inside it. 198000 miles, never any engine problems.
thanks for the reply

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Assuming the bottom end of the engine is still sound (lower miles, should be) have you considered just having the head done, or replacing it with a competently reconditioned one? You'd stand to save about $10K. Good luck with solution whatever you decide.
Initially, BMW NA was going to contribute to a new head but decided that a new engine was more appropriate in that the lower end of that engine was very susceptible to bearing failure. The new engine has upgraded seals and bearings.
Thanks for replying
Bob

· Officially a BMW Addict
1,278 Posts
The dealer is screwing you over. Get a second opinion. No one has never heard of valve stem issues on a N55.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.