BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine in my 2001 525i needs to be replaced after only 40,000 miles. Thank god the warranty is going to cover it. The dealer has been authorized to replace it with a BMW remanufactured engine. I am not thrilled about having a remanufactured engine being that I just purchased the car two months ago.

Can anyone share with me the course of action I should take to get a new engine or enlighten me on the benefits of having a BMW remanufactured engine?

What does BMW Factory Remanufactured Engine Mean? Does this mean BMW rebuilds the engine? What are some of the risk. i.e. value of the car, longevity etc.

Please Advise,

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Whenever a reman part is available, that's what'll be used for a warranty repair, whether that's a CD player or an engine. That's just the way it is. You can get a new eingine... on your dime. The good thing is that BMW, unlike some others, has an intnernal engine reman program, which I would trust much more than a 3rd-party reman, or even worse, a used salvaged one.

·
Registered
664 Posts
mcnlouis said:
The engine in my 2001 525i needs to be replaced after only 40,000 miles. Thank god the warranty is going to cover it. The dealer has been authorized to replace it with a BMW remanufactured engine. I am not thrilled about having a remanufactured engine being that I just purchased the car two months ago.

Can anyone share with me the course of action I should take to get a new engine or enlighten me on the benefits of having a BMW remanufactured engine?

What does BMW Factory Remanufactured Engine Mean? Does this mean BMW rebuilds the engine? What are some of the risk. i.e. value of the car, longevity etc.

Please Advise,
What is it with these E39 525i engines?!? A friend of mine had a 2001/2002 (can't remember), and he kept having problems to the point that BMW just took the car back and gave him a steal on an E60.

Did they mention the apparent cause/diagnosis of the problem? I'm really curious to know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SS said:
What is it with these E39 525i engines?!? A friend of mine had a 2001/2002 (can't remember), and he kept having problems to the point that BMW just took the car back and gave him a steal on an E60.

Did they mention the apparent cause/diagnosis of the problem? I'm really curious to know.
They are saying there is water mixed with the oil, creating sludge. How did it happen? They won't know until they go in.

·
Registered
664 Posts
mcnlouis said:
They are saying there is water mixed with the oil, creating sludge. How did it happen? They won't know until they go in.
Hmmm...this is interesting. I think they may have made a horrible mistake with design. It just seems like too much of a coincidence for me to hear of this with quite a few people who own an E39 525.

Good luck with your situation. I hope the dealership treats you right.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
mcnlouis said:

Please Advise,
A remanufactured engine will be nicer than your 40K engine is (duh!) but will be better than the 40K engine would be even if you didn't have problems. It would be like expecting BMW to give you a new car if they wrecked your four year old car.

Be happy it crapped out now and not six months after the warranty expired.

Bill

·
Registered
664 Posts
BillP said:
A remanufactured engine will be nicer than your 40K engine is (duh!) but will be better than the 40K engine would be even if you didn't have problems. It would be like expecting BMW to give you a new car if they wrecked your four year old car.

Be happy it crapped out now and not six months after the warranty expired.

Bill
Great way to think of it, Bill!

·
Wrenchin'
2,051 Posts
mcnlouis said:
How did the dealer come to the conclusion that the motor will need to be replaced? My dealer keeps telling me that the sludge build up in my motor is normal. Did your engine seize?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts