BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my car for the oil consumption issue I thought I had and was told about the new service campaign that came out on Monday night:

Service Campaign:

0011020400 F0x F1x N63TU Replace Crankcase Ventilation

CAMPAIGN IS NOT AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME

The parts were not available at the time to complete this campaign when I dropped it off. SA said that BMW is replacing the hoses because people complained about a whistling noise in the engine compartment. They did not tell me exactly which cars were affected....only that mine would be done.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks for the info. Does your car have to be under original warranty or CPO to not be charged for this campaign?
I think service campaigns are like recalls. I don't think your car has to be CPO or have original 4 yr/50,000 mile warranty to get the issue fixed. Call your local dealer to see what they say.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I took my car in today for "SI B65 03 16 - Owner***8217;s Manual is No Longer Accessible after Programming" and when I got into the SA's office they also said I needed the crankcase ventilation fix. They where unable to complete it in one day so I'm stuck with the X-1 loaner for another day. No slam against X-1 owners, but it's no 7-series!!

jeff

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took my car in today for "SI B65 03 16 - Owner's Manual is No Longer Accessible after Programming" and when I got into the SA's office they also said I needed the crankcase ventilation fix. They where unable to complete it in one day so I'm stuck with the X-1 loaner for another day. No slam against X-1 owners, but it's no 7-series!!

jeff
They told me to have it done the next time I come in for service. Apparently it's not a mechanical issue it was more for the existing one making a whistling noise which I have never heard.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I can't believe they are finally acknowledging what I have been trying to get fixed for 4 years. Hopefully this takes care of it once and for all and my dealer is competent enough to do it right.

Normal noise my ass.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't believe they are finally acknowledging what I have been trying to get fixed for 4 years. Hopefully this takes care of it once and for all and my dealer is competent enough to do it right.

Normal noise my ass.
What exactly does it sound like? I have never heard any strange noises from the motor. :dunno:

·
Registered
281 Posts
My 2 data points:

Our 2009 (N63) was making whistling noise before the CCP came out and it cost us $1200 to have turbo related hoses replaced. Even after going through the reimbursement after the CCP was completed, they still would not pay for these hoses.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798813

Now I am hearing this again in our 2015 (N63TU) with 12K miles, so I am glad to hear that they are at least acknowledging this is a problem.

·
Registered
281 Posts
What exactly does it sound like? I have never heard any strange noises from the motor. :dunno:
To me it sounds somewhere between a whistling and a whining sound, and it's most noticeable at pretty low RPMs since there is no other ambient noise. Unfortunately there are tons of other parts that can make a whining type noise in a car, so sometimes diagnosis can be difficult.

Unlike LeftLane's experience, the dealer never tried to tell us it was 'normal' in our 2009, but they also would not cover it under CPO at that time, it was an out of pocket expense.

·
Registered
627 Posts
It is a high pitched whine that usually takes place in cooler temps and after the car has fully warmed up, then sat for a while, and then restarted. It is incredibly annoying and obvious that something is wrong. I have had a hell of a time getting dealers to acknowledge/diagnose/fix even though I've been complaining about it since 14k miles and I still deal with it at 75k.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is a high pitched whine that usually takes place in cooler temps and after the car has fully warmed up, then sat for a while, and then restarted. It is incredibly annoying and obvious that something is wrong. I have had a hell of a time getting dealers to acknowledge/diagnose/fix even though I've been complaining about it since 14k miles and I still deal with it at 75k.
They will fix it for you now :thumbup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 2 data points:

Our 2009 (N63) was making whistling noise before the CCP came out and it cost us $1200 to have turbo related hoses replaced. .
I thought this recall was for the N63tu

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 2010 750I has 75K miles on it and that whinning sound was crazy, I took it in for an oil change and it went way? It still have like a valve tap but ive heard that can be the altenator bearings.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Maby you could upload a soundfile?
How could anybody help you with the discription of a "high pitched whine"?
The problem is: There are too many different noises. So we really need the soundfile ....

Cheers

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sounds

2011 750i is in the shop right now and one of my complaints is OK the same sound. Interested to see what they come back with. I had one of the technicians take a ride with me to make sure he could hear it and at first he wondered if it was an auxiliary fan except that the sound does not happen when the car is parked and reviving the engine..... it only when the car is driving. We shall see...

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don't currently have a sound file - I had 20 videos I delivered to the dealer, along with having them hear the noise when I drove with the lead tech. They said it was the CCV valves, which were addressed with the CCP. That did not solve it, and I question whether it was really fixed anyway. It is very specific:

Ambient temps between 40-60 degrees
Does not make any noise on first drive of the day as engine gets up to operating temps
Car has been fully warmed up, then turned off for 30 minutes to an hour
When restarted, as engine temps start to climb again, I get a very high pitched whine from the front of the car, sometimes for 5 seconds, sometimes for 3 minutes, until the car is fully warmed up again. It sounds exactly like a tea kettle. Doesn't necessarily seem to be speed related, but will stop when I come to a complete stop, then start again when I move. RPMs between 1500-2000, sometimes seems louder when I turn the wheel to left.
No difference with AC on or off, radio on or off, etc.

Hopefully this has been common enough that it will be addressed when I go to the dealer next time. It sounds exactly like the Youtube videos of BMWs with CCV valve leaks.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't currently have a sound file - I had 20 videos I delivered to the dealer, along with having them hear the noise when I drove with the lead tech. They said it was the CCV valves, which were addressed with the CCP. That did not solve it, and I question whether it was really fixed anyway. It is very specific:

Ambient temps between 40-60 degrees
Does not make any noise on first drive of the day as engine gets up to operating temps
Car has been fully warmed up, then turned off for 30 minutes to an hour
When restarted, as engine temps start to climb again, I get a very high pitched whine from the front of the car, sometimes for 5 seconds, sometimes for 3 minutes, until the car is fully warmed up again. It sounds exactly like a tea kettle. Doesn't necessarily seem to be speed related, but will stop when I come to a complete stop, then start again when I move. RPMs between 1500-2000, sometimes seems louder when I turn the wheel to left.
No difference with AC on or off, radio on or off, etc.

Hopefully this has been common enough that it will be addressed when I go to the dealer next time. It sounds exactly like the Youtube videos of BMWs with CCV valve leaks.
This sounds like what the SA told me the campaign was designed to address.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts