BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

New to the forum and new to my 2012 F31 2.8i Luxury.

Just picked up this car a week ago with 22k miles. It is going to need new tyres in the next month or two and was wondering about the benefits/downsides of runflats.

It's currently on Conti Sport runflats and in terms of ride, it seems absolutely fine to me, actually rides better than the Volvo T5 it replaced. It does however tramline like an intercity train which the Volvo just didn't do. Is this something that non-runflats would improve or is it just something that the F31 does? If this would be improved it might well persuade me as it is quite severe. I loved the Yokohama A105s I had on the last car but not available in runflat.

This is just my second BMW (the last being a 330Ci in 2001) and there seems to be an endless discussion about runflats but don't really know the ins and outs. I know I'd need some sort of emergency repair kit if I ditch the runflats but not sure if it's really worth it.

So, will the non-runflats improve the tramlining and are there any downsides other than needing a repair kit of some sort?

·
Super Moderator
3,646 Posts
What is the exact model and size of the tyre that you experience tramlining?

I used to be a firm opponent of run flats but I am closer to being converted. I do have a full sized spare, which is a run flat. That's quite an overkill as a non-run flat spare would have been enough. I bought it because the shop offered a very low price for the freshly dated, new tyre that someone ordered and changed their mind.

·
Registered
146 Posts
A can of fix a flat, a tire plug repair kit and a small compressor. Why change a tire when you can just patch it? If you are decent with hand tools and have no disabilities, plugging a tire is pretty easy. The can of fix a flat is insurance for times when the car is driven by anyone incapable of plugging the tire.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just had to google tramlining because I was not familiar with the term. I have not experienced this with my F31 but mine came with Pirelli Cinturato P7's. After owning Pirelli P6's in my old Audi A3, I said I would never own Pirelli's again but the Cinturato's have been good tires.

Tire Rack also has them listed as #1 in their category.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts